Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #241
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Well at least I know what to pack.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #242
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I like EtOh, but if I like it too much it don't like me and the results are not fun the next day. Apparently I have low tolerance or something...I certainly am a "cheap date".

Perhaps its time for me to branch out....head to Colorado and try something different with less side effects...surely my federal government job will look the other way?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #243
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
You are so going to get drug tested after your next AL.!! Just kidding..

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #244
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Canopener 2015 Map Update 9-20-2014

New addition to site 91. Map link below:

Canopener 2015 Reservations Map Outside 103 - Photo Gallery
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #245
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Pointed in the right direction... Too long till takeoff.
Attachment 222391

Old 09-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #246
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Pointed in the right direction... Too long till takeoff.
O'Brien FL appears to be only 414 miles from Lake Wateree State Park, Winnsboro, SC where Alumilina is being held Thurs-Sun 9/25-9/28 and only 401 miles from the Falluminum Rally Fri-Sun 10/24-10/26.

Consider yourself invited to both!

By the way, there are probably other gatherings too, but I haven't looked. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Phil

ps as an edit, Falluminum is held at the Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds Campground, in Hiawassee, Georgia.

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #247
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Man, I'd love to hit those also, but I've got a job (actually, three jobs) I have to get to, and I lead worship for our church (which I count as one of those jobs) so Sundays off are a bit harder to come by than they used to be... Burning leave already for Canopener... Great, now I've got to go check withy the Mrs and see how the calendar looks. Thanks a pantload! Too many rallies, too little leave...

-Red

Old 09-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #248
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Canopener 2015 update

Canopenians:

Well, time to start updating you all on our progress towards Canopener 2015. By the number of RSVP’s so far, we are on track for a record attendance.

For those of you who will be attending for the first time, welcome! And we think you will thoroughly enjoy yourselves and Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. Robin and I rate it as one of the finest we have ever encountered…..and hope you will too.

I have included the full name of the park to draw your attention to the “preserve” aspect of Topsail. The park not only has a first class RV park but one of the most beautiful beaches you will ever see anywhere and several miles of paved trails for walking, jogging or cycling. There are also connecting unpaved trails for your enjoyment. I want to encourage you to not only enjoy the Canopener festivities but avail yourselves to the beauty of the preserve. Not unusual to see deer in the mornings (we saw a number in the dunes by the beach last year) and I understand a black bear or two has been sighted in the past. The park is great for cycling and has bikes for rent if you don't have one you travel with.

We are still working on the agenda for the rally but should have music for/during a couple of events, several potluck meals, the infamous Cornhole Tournament, Breakfast with the Ranger and Hike with the Ranger.

We have had some organizations volunteer to help sponsor the event (meaning contribute prizes and/or entertainment) and we will be telling you more about them as contributions are confirmed. This much is confirmed so far: Foley Airstream in Gulfport is providing some door prizes, new Airstream trailers for your viewing and live entertainment for the Saturday night potluck festivities. They are also coordinating with Airstream corporate to secure some door prizes from the Mother Ship. Thanks, Foley!

Remember this is a completely non-profit and independent Forum rally. There are no rally fees or WBCCI membership requirements. All the work is done by non-paid volunteers who just want you to have a great experience.

Noted in a few posts folks mentioning swap meet/yard sale concepts for Canopener. We explored this in the past and found the requirements from the park were too burdensome and presented way greater issues than would make the idea doable. Therefore, please be advised no swap meet/yard sale for Canopener.

Keep you posted as we progress, and please ensure you register on our RSVP page if you are attending. Remember this simple formula:

No RSVP = no registration, no door prizes, no welcome packet, no name tags, no goodies, your name not on the Canopener site map....so please RSVP.

Tom and Robin.
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #249
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I read on this forum that there are a few AS experts or techs that can do certain services on demand...

I am interested in the "SealTech" leak testing (for example) and was kinda hoping that one day we may draw someone (Foley, hint hint?) to consider offering the service on site....some other rallies had this on it...

Of course, seeing bubbles pop off our seams may be a downer for a fun even

Just a thought...thanks.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #250
Never Enough Rivets

2000 19' Bambi
2006 23' Safari SE
Pensacola , Florida
For all of our extended Airstream Family

Please forgive me for using this forum for sharing this news with you. This is in no way meant to put a dim spirit on the fellowship of Canopener, but is I feel the only way to share this news with all of you that have known us briefly, have known us like family, and also for the new friends that I hope to meet. Cynthia, my precious wife of 19 years died suddenly during emergency surgery before dawn on Saturday morning. She was happy, healthy, and having dinner with church friends, when she suffered an attack, was across the street from the best hospital in Pensacola, diagnosed with a dissected aorta(an unforeseen genetic malady), and rushed into a 5 hour surgery where she passed into the arms of our Lord. Below is her Obituary as it is to appear before her services next week. She was with me as she entered the ambulance. She was alert, determined, brave, and tender as we said our goodbyes and she went into surgery. She was eager to show off our new 23' Safari with the curtains and other additions we had made. We were just on the cusp of a time when we could spend more time with our fellow Southeast Camping Unit, but now she will go with me in spirit.

No! You can not have our space! I have no intension of missing out on a chance to beat Dickhead at Cornhole. It is something that Cynthia would want me to do and besides, I will really need one of Greg's Margaritas by then.

For those that are new to Canopener, please forgive my post. For everyone else, you know my Cindy and you know where I am coming from.
I was blessed to have the greatest wife on earth, and I am twice blessed to have you dear people keep her memory alive.

Your friend in Aluminum,

Jeff Thoede

Cynthia Loretta Thoede

Today we mourn the passing of a woman who held the adoration of countless children and adults in the Pensacola area. Cynthia Loretta McGuire Thoede was born a military brat at Camp Pendleton in Oceanside California. Her growing up years had been shared between the natural splendor of Hawaii and the stark landscape of the desert in Barstow California. By the time she was a teenager her father’s military career brought her back to her ancestral roots here in Pensacola. Cynthia was a direct descendant of Dr. Eugenio Antonia Sierra a prominent member of the original Spanish settlement then known as Panzacola. She was predeceased by her mother, Alice McGuire (2007) but when they were together on earth they were inseparable and shared a travel bug within their souls. Cynthia backpacked through Europe twice, once with mom in-tow. When she wasn’t at work she and her husband of 19 years, Jeffrey Thoede, lovingly remodeled her grandmother’s cottage in East Hill and create a home and partnership that were both warm, inviting, and admired by their entire neighborhood. She loved her Airstream trailer and the places and kindred spirits she and her husband encountered when they would go exploring. She was always looking to go, see, and do something. One of those somethings was fishing, she loved to fish. It didn’t matter if she rarely got a nibble she just loved being out there. On one occasion it was discovered that the bait had been left back on the dock, instead of going back to get it, she baited her hook with gummy bears. Close relatives know how she once caught a bass and a bream at the same time and didn’t even use a hook or a pole. She was resourceful, like a female “MacGyver” she could save the world with just the items in her purse and glove box. She was frugal, she lived a bountiful life but was a master at finding a bargain. So much so, her father would tell everyone that “she could squeeze a penny until you could see Lincoln’s 5 o’clock shadow”. She was righteous and just, never backing down from her principles and never afraid to call someone out because of their mischief. She was active in her church at Gadsden Street United Methodist. She was caring, nurturing, and kind to everyone especially to the children that she taught during her three decades of teaching in the Escambia County School System. Her early career was in finance and banking, but her true passion was educating. While working toward her degree she worked with emotionally handicapped children, the deaf and the blind. Her energy was limitless and her stubborn determination made her the greatest advocate a special needs child could ever hope for. As the needs of the school system dictated, she would adapt to become the best person for the task at hand. Spending the last 6 years as a Regular Ed Kindergarten teacher at AK Suter Elementary in East Pensacola Heights, she was chosen as teacher of the year in 2012. Her firm but loving approach quickly claimed the admiration of fellow teachers and parents alike. The foundation that she created within her students was clearly visible to other teachers as her students progressed from grade to grade. Everyone wanted their child to be in her class.
Cynthia was happy, healthy, and vivacious until the very end. Having just left dinner with friends, she suffered an attack involving an undiagnosed issue with her aorta. She passed during a 5 hour long surgery that same evening. We mourn her only because of the hole that now exists in the lives of those she touched, and because of the suddenness of her leaving this earthly realm. But do not mourn her life, she loved her God, was proud of her country and family, she told her husband that she loved him 10 times a day, and recognized how blessed she was. Even though she could not have children of her own, she loved each and every student as if they were her own children. Cynthia is survived by Jeffrey Thoede (husband of 19 years), Richard McGuire (father), Perry McGuire (brother), Jeffery, Tanya, and Brandon McGuire (brother, sister-in-law, nephew), Alberto & Emily Frank (foster brother, sister-in-law), Sarah Oaks (aunt), and numerous cousins. She was only 58 years old, but now she rests in the arms of her mother in the presence of God and Christ Jesus his Holy son, our Lord. Go in peace sweetheart, until we are all joined again and can continue our travels through eternal life.
Rivetng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #251
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Jeff our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #252
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Jeff,
I pray the good Lord will grant you and your family the fortitude to bear this great loss. Shocking news and we are short of words but will keep praying for you. Keep up your great spirit.

F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:10 AM   #253
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Jeff,
I am at a loss for words but praying for you and family.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:05 AM   #254
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Cynthia

Jeff: Robin and I are absolutely stunned and heart broken at this news. We are so sorry. You are in our prayers.
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:16 AM   #255
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rising Fawn , Georgia
We are so sorry, Jeff. You are in our prayers.
AIR #17143
TAC #G-15
StanandLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:20 AM   #256
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Not much to say but, God bless you and yours. Carry on, peace to you. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:23 AM   #257
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Not meaning to make light of anyone's grief or condolences, especially considering that my mom died last Friday and I fully understand how everyone feels, but could we please move the condolences to a new thread, and leave the Canopener thread for planning the event?
Old 10-01-2014, 05:50 AM   #258
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Started a new thread. Hope it is okay. Compassion. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #259
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
To add just a little clarity to Jim's post, the new thread is named "Compassion". Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #260
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Cindy -

Our lives are richer because we met you at Canopener, an event where so many enduring friendships are formed. For those of us who come back year after year, Canopener is a community and a family. All of us Canopenians who knew you and love you celebrate your life and mourn your passing. We'll miss you in 2015.

Thank you and Jeff for the many wonderful memories.

Love,

Chuck & Susan
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote