Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2023, 10:50 AM   #1
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Burning Man 2023! Planning thread...

Hello Burners and potential Burners!

Hope your 2023 is shaping up just the way you want it.
It is once again time to start planning to celebrate Community and Creativity at Burning Man 2023.

This year's dates: Sunday August 27th - Monday September 4th.
2023 theme: Animalia!

We are a loosely organized group of mostly Airstreamers who have been gathering at Burning Man since 2007. Different faces come and go and then come back again. Everyone is welcome and we love to have new people join us.

Our Airstreameri Camp offers lots of things to the community at large including our famous Postcard Creation Station where we collect the cards and mail them all over the world. We also have really fun games, an amazing bar, potluck(s) and interesting talks, a mutant Volcano Art Car, and a variety of other things. Anyone is welcome to offer up whatever they would like and new ideas are always encouraged. Participation is a must.

There are no fees or annoying paperwork to do to join us. Just let us know what you are camping in so we can be sure to make room. You are required to get your own ticket and vehicle pass to the event. Tickets are not yet on sale but will be soon. Be sure to visit the Burning Man site and sign up for the JRS (Jack Rabbit Speaks) Newsletter to get all the dates and updates. If you have not been before, read all the prep info and The Survival Guide. Conditions can be harsh and last year was particularly hot and windy.

Can't wait to see you all and what this year's theme inspires!
Jump on this thread and let the planning begin.
Rumor has it this will be the best year ever!

Cheers,
Bam (Laurel)

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 01:36 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
......Following......
:-)
Old 02-28-2023, 01:45 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Great post Bam! You’ve sold me & Jethro/Crash, we’re in!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:32 PM   #4
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
I wouldn't miss being with the best gang there is - Im in!
Old 03-09-2023, 10:41 PM   #5
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
I have just sent out 82 postcards to the USA. Canada, UK. Brazil, Germany, France and Japan...Postcards designed and written 5 years ago in 2017.

Maybe some of them will be back at our post office this year!
Old 03-10-2023, 07:13 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Awesome Epi! Thanks for providing more playa magic! Camp got a lovely comment on the 5 yr card in our post playa feedback...
Old 03-10-2023, 08:47 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
Just got our Stewards sale tickets!

After last years heat and dust along with the ever increasing ticket price, there was a bit of hesitation, but time seems to fade the bad memories.

We'll be with our usual group near 3:15 & J, assuming that doesn't become part of placement. Look forward to seeing y'all on the Playa.
Ginophiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 12:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginophiles View Post
Just got our Stewards sale tickets!

After last years heat and dust along with the ever increasing ticket price, there was a bit of hesitation, but time seems to fade the bad memories.

We'll be with our usual group near 3:15 & J, assuming that doesn't become part of placement. Look forward to seeing y'all on the Playa.
We're usually somewhere around 2:45 and 3:15 and WTF out there. I suspect because we are a low people density, low noise originating bunch.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:13 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Obi and Jillybean will be there! Huggybear is a maybe.
WBCCI #4285
2013 Interstate Lounge Ext
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
jgeurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:03 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
We're usually somewhere around 2:45 and 3:15 and WTF out there. I suspect because we are a low people density, low noise originating bunch.
Yeah, we checked it out last year. I asked around for you, but every time you happened to not be around it seemed. Ah well.

I will say, in our 9 official years, and 2 long weekends in the off years, that was the roughest overall so far. I'll take heat over dust, like '17, but last year was both. A lot of both. Combined with a 7 1/2 hour exodus before the 5 hour drive home, and that was the first year we got home and felt we had NO desire to go back for quite a while.

But then, during the winter I made a video for our camp, and we had a decompression party and now the Bmorg has my money once again.
Ginophiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 12:10 PM   #11
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
When it comes to tickets it's Feast or famine it seems. Last year I was lucky to get one, this year I have 4 probably available to past camp members in need. Please post me!

Cheers

Epi
Old 04-29-2023, 10:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Burning Man has been on my bucket list for years along with spending time in the Lake Tahoe area before and after the event. If anyone has videos or pictures of their Airstreams at BM, I would love to see them.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 02:44 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Hey RMB/Epi,

Kenny aka Gadget needs 2-3 tickets plus a vehicle pass. Let me know if you can help him asap! He wants to bring back the photo booth with upgrades...
Old 07-10-2023, 02:33 PM   #14

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Issaquah , Washington
Hi, we're excited to be going to our first Burn this year, and have been reading extensively to try to become less clueless. We'd love to join the Airstreameri camp with our 25' FC. We've got tix, vehicle pass, etc already (or at least, an email confirming we'll get them...)

Questions:

1) Assuming its been placed, where is the camp located? If not placed yet, when might that happen?

2) We're planning on having a 10x30 shade structure on the patio side of our airstream, as opposed to using the regular awning. Any issues with that?

3) Under the shade structure, we're planning on setting up an art piece: a giant kaleidoscope (9' long, 4' wide, 7' high). We're hoping this can be a community feature where folks can wander by and look into/play with the kaleidoscope, hang out in the shade. Any issues or thoughts about that?

4) We also want to contribute cold beer. My original idea was to just have a cooler in our shade structure, but the Airstreameri description mentions a bar... so should we instead provide beer to the community bar and help out with that?

5) We'd love to help out with other camp/community stuff. Anything we should bring or plan on beyond just spontaneously helping when we get there?
bearstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 02:43 PM   #15
WBCCI #19997

2021 22' Caravel
Oreland , Pennsylvania
I hate everyone that is able to go. I am going to totally follow every damn post on this thread. Someday...I will be there with you...

Be awesome out there!
215Airhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 10:21 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstrm View Post
Hi, we're excited to be going to our first Burn this year, and have been reading extensively to try to become less clueless. We'd love to join the Airstreameri camp with our 25' FC. We've got tix, vehicle pass, etc already (or at least, an email confirming we'll get them...)

Questions:

1) Assuming its been placed, where is the camp located? If not placed yet, when might that happen?

2) We're planning on having a 10x30 shade structure on the patio side of our airstream, as opposed to using the regular awning. Any issues with that?

3) Under the shade structure, we're planning on setting up an art piece: a giant kaleidoscope (9' long, 4' wide, 7' high). We're hoping this can be a community feature where folks can wander by and look into/play with the kaleidoscope, hang out in the shade. Any issues or thoughts about that?

4) We also want to contribute cold beer. My original idea was to just have a cooler in our shade structure, but the Airstreameri description mentions a bar... so should we instead provide beer to the community bar and help out with that?

5) We'd love to help out with other camp/community stuff. Anything we should bring or plan on beyond just spontaneously helping when we get there?
Hi Bearstrm! Please do join us at 3:30 and Frogbat. No worries about the shade structure - others have done the same in the past and it is no problem at all. Beer is always welcome, wherever it be found! Arrgh! Suddenly I am sounding like a pirate - excuse me for that. Our camp is famous for spontaneous community effort, so please just show us and ask how you can help!

Obiwan
WBCCI #4285
2013 Interstate Lounge Ext
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
jgeurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 02:33 PM   #17
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Welcome!

We do have a bar set up (with shade) that anyone can bartend with whatever they choose to offer whenever they feel inspired.
Volunteers are needed and beer is always appreciated!

If you have room, we can always use a little extra water for our Hydration Station too.

See you all soonish!

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 06:11 PM   #18

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Issaquah , Washington
Thanks Obi and Bam - we're really looking forward to it! Glad we can pitch in with beer, water and help: the three essentials. Aargh!
bearstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 03:07 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
madison , Wisconsin
Question about using fridge at Burning Man:
Planning on taking our 2013 Airstream to Burning Man this year. Read lots about how to prepare to minimize problems with blowing sand. But can’t find advice on using the absorption refrigerator. Even in the best of conditions this fridge perform poorly in temps above 90 degrees. Years ago I installed additional fans in the upper vent area to help with the fridge efficiency. So, should I tape HEPA type filters over both in/out vents to reduce sand accumulation in the back of the fridge? Would this block airflow too much? Maybe the absorption fridge will not be useful at Burning Man. Anyone have experience with this. Thanks.
jim1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:13 AM   #20

Columbus , Ohio
Experienced Burner/new Airstream owner

Hello!
I just found your group and would love to join this camp! This will be my third Burning Man. My hopes of attending yearly from now on finally pushed me to fulfill my dream of being an airstream owner. I have a 22ft FB Bambi, and have only had the chance to take her out twice so far, so I’m truly a newbie. Could you let me know if there is still room in your camp? I have tickets and a vehicle pass, and will be towing her from Ohio. I’ve participated in a camp one year and went without a camp my first year and will happily help out in anyway I’m needed! I’d love to be with other airstreamers!
Thanks,
Barbara
Boglesbee is offline   Reply With Quote