Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2021, 06:41 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirParkOnly View Post
OTRA15 sent me here.

It is canceled, officially, but I believe they are allowing some level of Boondocking gathering anyhow ... according to one source I know who has been, is a journalist, and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The land will be open for use, but no official infrastructure. That's the rumor.

I will try again next year to get into the official thing.
Much more than a rumor my friend!

It's BLM land and, as we were told last year, it's your land. Rouge Burners, BRC Plan B and other groups are already planning.

There's already a map up here:

blackrockdesertcamps.com

Were getting our Art Car out of hibernation next month and tuning it up. Our camp is planning on showing up. Were on the map!

It could be an incredible self organizing experiment in temporary City-State development like last year, or a disorganized s*%t show.
Ginophiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Oh boy . . . good luck with the "show" . . . already see an interesting camp to the WNW, well outside the "burn perimeter" as referenced in the camp's name.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Juplaya

There's a group on facebooky called Juplaya that talks about going to 4thJuplaya and things playa. They are NOT related to "that thing in the desert" in any way and will delete any references to it. But there's lots of information on there about playa conditions and fools trying to turn into a "event" that will have thie BLM on everything worse than they were last year. Do NOT shoot fireworks. Don't hope to go to the hot springs. Keep it under 80 or 90 while driving. Best keep you camp and yourself lit so those driving at 90 at night have a target to drive towards.
Plan on a visit by the BLM or Pershing County or Washoe County while on playa.
There's a photo of my Silver Dragon on about Center Camp last year or some year past on my fbooky, probalby see it on the Juplaya page.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:49 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Oh boy . . . good luck with the "show" . . . already see an interesting camp to the WNW, well outside the "burn perimeter" as referenced in the camp's name.

That's a bit of an inside joke. They are trying to say their camp is located out at Fly Ranch, the BMORG's (BurningMan ORGinazation) private oasis.

You, Peter, are going to want to spend some time at "Rootpile" camp, 6:00 & C. Click on the guitar icon for a camp description. Right up your alley.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Yee Ha!

Old 05-19-2021, 05:02 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS --
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginophiles View Post
. . .
. . . 6:00 & C. . . .
. . .
Why is the 6 meridian at that angle, instead of straight down? Does 12 point to Magnetic North?

Apparently not:
https://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=83201
https://journal.burningman.org/2010/...ack-rock-city/

-- "In a conceptual break with the previous camp-centric concept, we arranged the city around a geographic center formed by the location of the Burning Man This position functioned like the fixed point of a drawing compass."

-- " . . . true North ended up 45° off the city’s main axis . . . "

Also -- FEI -- the "Larger Map" view has more info on the left edge of the page:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...914021877&z=12

Thanks,

Peter
Old 05-19-2021, 10:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
The north star is about over 10:00

and if you don't know what that means, you haven't been there, ha

NevadaGeo
Old 05-20-2021, 05:18 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks . . . jus’ surprisin’ — in view of all the high falootin’ ideas floatin’ ‘roun’ — that the grid was not done more intentionally!

The North Star would have been a perfect “12” as the main axis IMO.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Thanks . . . jus’ surprisin’ — in view of all the high falootin’ ideas floatin’ ‘roun’ — that the grid was not done more intentionally!

There would be less dust if 6:00 was south and the road entrance was from the south. But then the airport would have to move..

NevadaGeo
Old 05-21-2021, 01:51 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Question

***** or be closed *****

"intentionality"

Old 05-21-2021, 10:50 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
Quote:

I think your missing some of the subtleties of how it's laid out.

On the special map for this year, the Orientation of the 6:00 Axis (O6A) simply follows the same O6A as the official map from 2019. You can see this map just to the south and west of this years map.

The official map was originally designed for an are 30 miles north in '97 for about 8K people. It was moved near its current location in '98 and has been adapted over the years, as NevadaGeo pointed out, to accommodate access to HWY 34, the air strip and, by '19, over 80K people.

More importantly, and I think NevadaGeo will back me up on this, there is a real beauty to the lay out when your actually on Playa. Use these numbers on Google maps in satellite view:

40.786400, -119.206752

Note that the official map is different, in that, there is no 11:00, 12:00 or 1:00. That's because the Temple sits at 12:00.

If one stands on the O6A at the Man and looks north east along the axis, one sees the Temple and 30 to 40 miles of endless flat desert Playa extending out.

Turn around and look south west along the axis and one sees the city, flanked by huge razor backed mountains on both sides.

I find the layout spectacular.

I have no idea if they use true North or this or that star to orient the layout, but it perfectly fits the environment it's in. IMO
Old 05-21-2021, 04:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good points thanks.

Peter
Old 08-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
Had to resurrect this thread. Heading to the unofficial Burning Man this year. Will arrive on Playa Wednesday morning. If anyone is there look for the Skidd Row Flag on my RV and we can finally meet. After the event we will be heading to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons for a couple of weeks before going to the Element 11 Burn in NW Utah.
Canyon
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:05 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
3:15 and Hyacinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
Had to resurrect this thread. Heading to the unofficial Burning Man this year. Will arrive on Playa Wednesday morning. If anyone is there look for the Skidd Row Flag on my RV and we can finally meet. After the event we will be heading to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons for a couple of weeks before going to the Element 11 Burn in NW Utah.
Canyon
Do you have any idea how hard it is to find anyone out there? Even if you know where to look. The playa is a BIG place, a few miles off and you can’t see them. If I get there, and if, I’ll try to park near our usual home around 3:15 and waytheF out there, or 3:15 and H. . And what Wedekind mornafternoon?
You would be hard to believe the chaos I saw during 4th Juplaya, makes a believer of the regimentation the Borg has put in over the years.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:07 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
By the way, I think I posted before, the NorthStar is over 10:00 out there. Has been for years.

NevadaGeo
Old 08-08-2021, 11:13 PM   #36
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Good on You!

Mark our spot on 3:00!

I wish I was there...
Old 08-09-2021, 01:03 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Do you have any idea how hard it is to find anyone out there? Even if you know where to look. The playa is a BIG place, a few miles off and you can’t see them. If I get there, and if, I’ll try to park near our usual home around 3:15 and waytheF out there, or 3:15 and H. . And what Wedekind mornafternoon?
You would be hard to believe the chaos I saw during 4th Juplaya, makes a believer of the regimentation the Borg has put in over the years.

Yes the Playa is a BIG place. It won't be my first time there. I am sorry my comments offended you. I really didn't think anyone would come looking, I just thought if someone from here saw the flag it might jog a memory. At Burning resistance is NOT futile and no one will be assimilated.
Canyon
Old 08-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
It's tempting to go searching just to see a SKIDD ROW flag.

Traded in a 27' Globetrotter and then a 20' Basecamp X to go with a 2023 Interstate X
AirParkOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:20 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirParkOnly View Post
It's tempting to go searching just to see a SKIDD ROW flag.

Is that a Ham call sign in your signature?
Canyon

KJ7RLZ
Old 08-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
Canyon
A Skidd Row flag?! As in Monkey Business Skidd Row? We'll be on the look out brother. We're rolling in Thursday. We placed our small camp on the Blackrockdesertcamps.com map. 3:15 & J on the new map they made for the non-burn this year. We may move out further though, as some creepy guy we've met in the past found us on the map and decided to invite himself to our camp.

We're "Sublime Oasis" and looking forward to mixing a cocktail for you.

Was going to see Skidd Row, Warrant and Winger last week, but it was an outside venue and the heat and smoke was just too much to deal with.