Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashoeZephyr View Post
Thank you for the kind words about Gary. I was doing some computer work and happened to stumble across this forum. I am his oldest daughter and a long time burner. It's was great to see him involved with Burning Man. We didn't see much of each other in recent years and I happened to run into him on the playa in 2010, which was funny as he used to give my little brother a lot of grief for going back in the late 90's. Of course I had to run off to center camp to pick up some cell service and text my brother with the news! If you're in the Reno area, his service will be on June 6th. I'm also planning on setting something up in the temple this year. I should have the specifics on times sometime this week.
Thanks again.
We will have something for him on the temple too this year. Keep in touch. Gary was NevadaAu in our past forums, but he kept saying he couldn't get on much. '010 was our first year as a theme camp and he was our featured speaker.

NevadaGeo
Old 06-04-2014, 03:57 AM   #122
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Valrico , Florida
Question Pets at Burning Man

Husband got his dream..two tickets to Burning Man. This will be our first time and we will alter travel plans now to attend. We will be traveling Jul-Nov and our "road family" includes one cat. Know the Burning Man site says no dogs, anyone have any experience taking their feline? She normally travels very well in our 28' Safari, but I'm not sure about the dust factor.

If I need to kennel, anyone have any recommendations in that area that they have used?

Thanks so much
Old 06-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Cats are allowed. There was someone in the Airstreameri camp a few years ago who had one. They were in the same situation, going to Burning Man as part of a longer trip. The cat stayed in the trailer 24/7 and was pretty mellow about it.

Not that much dust gets into the trailer, especially if you tape the windows closed. You'll need to make sure that the inside temperature is always safe for a cat, which isn't hard if you cover the windows with something reflective. We have pieces of Reflectix that we've cut for the shape of each window and tape on the outside.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:22 AM   #124
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Arlington , Massachusetts
I have read a lot about taping and covering windows to keep heat and dust out. Do you open up the windows at all while a BM? Isn't it sort of dark in the trailer if all the windows are covered in reflective bubble wrap? My old '72 probably doesn't have 100% insulation so I'm wondering if it's better or worse to put bubble wrap over the windows. I was imagining opening everything up at night to get the cool air. PS, can you tell this is my first trip to BM?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedWagon View Post
.. My old '72 probably doesn't have 100% insulation ...
All my 70s models have pretty good insulation. I think yours is better than you think. That being said, the shell gets pretty hot in the noon sun. The foil does make it dark-ish inside, you just have to plan which windows to insulate, eg, the ones on the south side, so you have to wait until you're parked to make a final decision.

One technique is to tape the insulation to the glass so you can open the window. Not all the windows are taped shut. Pick two to open, tape the rest. I usually leave one of the side widows in the back and the window at the sink untaped, plus you have your vents and door.

A word about air conditioning: If you have a generator big enough, you still don't want to run the a/c all the time, just when you button up for the dust storms. Even without an big generator, you can survive a dust storm if you have a small DC powered fan. You MUST have at least a fan or you can't really button up--you need some ventilation because the wind can blow for 2-3 hours on a bad day and you can't stand being closed up that long. A small fan can make it possible to say closed up.

Do you have an awning? If so, start thinking about how you will tie it down--substantial tent pegs and cargo straps can make it possible to leave the awning down during dust storms. The awnings are quite strong and do fine if you control flapping and make sure your tie downs are going to remain in place.

Zep
Old 06-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
For "tent pegs" we use 24" rebar with a cross piece welded on 6" from the top. 18" pounded into the playa will hold well enough.

We actually spend very little time in our trailer unless we're sleeping in it. We do food prep on the 3 burner barbecue which we set up outside. There's no point in adding extra heat inside the trailer, so we almost never use the trailer stove.

Some sort of shade structure is very helpful. A shared shade structure helps camp members mingle. Conversations are one of the high points of Burning Man for me.

It's always been my luck to be out on the playa when the white outs strike, so I'm dependent on my bandana and goggles for shelter and my trailer's benefits are moot. IMHO, open playa is the best place to be in a white out. It makes for the best stories. And stories are what make Burning Man epic.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #127
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
I have read a lot about taping and covering windows to keep heat and dust out. Do you open up the windows at all while a BM? Isn't it sort of dark in the trailer if all the windows are covered in reflective bubble wrap? My old '72 probably doesn't have 100% insulation so I'm wondering if it's better or worse to put bubble wrap over the windows. I was imagining opening everything up at night to get the cool air. PS, can you tell this is my first trip to BM?
Hey welcome Painted Wagon! We've reserved an important space for you, and I think you are on our application for placed Theme Camp too! Paint on!

NevadaGeo
Old 06-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #128

Reno , Nevada
For anyone who is interested, Gary's service will be held tomorrow at 11am at Ross, Burke and Noble at 2155 Kietzke Lane, Reno.

On another topic I saw bouncing around above, pets are NOT ALLOWED under any circumstances!! I work gate and have done rangering in the past. Whomever got in with the cats, got lucky. If gate finds them, you will be sent back to Reno. If you need kennel services in Reno, I'd advise you make reservations now, even at this point you will be lucky to get them for Labor Day week.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #129
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Cool, WashoeZephyr, I work gate too! Small world.

The burning blog here refers specifically to dogs. There is one use of the term "animal" that is, I believe, more an attempt at word variety rather than to extend the meaning of the post to other animals. There are several things that are different about dogs and cats. Cats can use a litter box. Cats don't ever need to go outside. Cats aren't bothered by loud noises. If a cat is anything like a dog in these issues, leave it at home.

There are occasional instances of dogs on the playa, but it would be wrong to assume that because you saw one, your pet is okay there. These are dogs that usually belong to DPW - the people who spend a month before the event building the city and have permission to have their proven mellow dog with them. If you look closely, the dog will have a lam, usually issued by DPW, attached to its collar.

The cat I saw at Burning Man came in one of the Airstream trailers in 2011 and stayed happily inside the whole time. I was curious about permission and they said they had gotten clearance ahead of time. They were first timers concerned for their cat and I believe that they did get the okay, but I did not ask to see documentation. I'm looking for further documentation in case it comes up when I'm in the lanes this year.

Long story short, only dogs are expressly forbidden. Other pets are discouraged for the same reasons listed for dogs - if they get out and get lost, it's potentially damaging or fatal for them and a real pain for the humans. Get clearance ahead of time and copy the email to make your path through Gate smoother.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #130
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Arlington , Massachusetts
We do have an awning, AC and generator. I'm hoping to use the AC as little as possible but I am from New England and not used to Nevada heat. Can you actually run the AC during a dust storm or will it damage the unit?
Old 06-05-2014, 11:28 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
...Can you actually run the AC during a dust storm or will it damage the unit?
You will get playa akalai dust in the condenser even if you don't run the a/c. Yes, many people run their a/c during dust storms, and some of the weaker, wussie, unworthy, iconoclastic, antisocial Burners run them all the time.

Zep
Old 06-06-2014, 11:05 PM   #132
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
We do have an awning, AC and generator. I'm hoping to use the AC as little as possible but I am from New England and not used to Nevada heat. Can you actually run the AC during a dust storm or will it damage the unit?
Here's another trick to think about, could be hard to imagine though. Frequently my weather station will indicate 0 (zero)% humidity. Less than what the machine likes to calculate, which is about 10%. You'd need the air to be at about - 10 or -20 degrees to make fog. So..... if you get your shirt wet, you'll freeze for a few minutes if there's any breeze. Or there's gel filled bandana's that you soak in water and put around your neck and they give you a nasty freeze headache, or find a swamp cooler that will run on the batteries with out using an inverter that heats up the trailer as much as the swamp cooler cools. Keeping the inverter out side works until the dust storm fills it with nice dust. (ben ther, don thet). or you bring some Silver Patron and make friends with above said anti soc folks that run their nice quiet generators a lot while inside sipping

And we'll show you how to hold down the awning, I picked up some 3 foot long inch and half ten pound rebar with hooks that will make dandy tent stakes. I can't carry 4 of them. Ron and I have had good luck tieing down our awnings to wheels or stabilizers with ratcheting tie downs too, so don't have to use the expletive to remove said steel from the ground.

NevadaGeo
Old 06-06-2014, 11:32 PM   #133
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
What I've indentured you to

The application is in, and we're waiting till July or sometime to hear if what we wrote takes again this year. You might note a lot is totally plagiarized from entries on this forum :::::::::::

Burner Profile Username
NevadaGeo

First Name
Perry

Last Name
Elbow Foot
Verify your Main Contact Email Address
lazy
Playa Name
NevadaGeo

Address 1
PO Box
Address 2

City
Genoa

Country
United States

State/Province
NV

Postal Code

Phone Number
What years have you attended Burning Man?

Burning Man Projects and Affiliations
Other

Describe Your Burning Man Projects and Affiliations
Chief grump and formologist, Airstreameri and Geologists theme camp. I may change the name a little this year to Airstreameri and What Not. It was Airstreameri and Geologists and Gynecologists last year with a Botanist show up.

DMV hottie since 2008.

Camp Category
Theme Camp

Who directed you to this category?

Camp/Village Name?
Airstreameri and What Not

For Camps within a registering Village: name of village?

Interactivity Description
We plan on being most annoying with a dusty boring scientific talk with prerequizite multisyllabic language and arm waving and absurd theories about the origin of the Playa Itself, or maybe just ask questions for audience answers. Hopefully we'll have another Click and Clack performance by our resident Gynocologists, and sometimes we'll have a surprised scientist campmate with a few words. We do plan on having the Best Playa Post Card table again, the big City hit to keep the world misinformed on where we are. We definitely will be doing High Class Heckling of street passerby at our Street Art Installation. Stay tuned for more Wordification by a recent Verbosity University Graduate: The day time is busy with the Post Card Construction station , the welcoming bar, foot massages and general bonhomie. We organize the camp so that the corner of the street we have occupied in the past is an open courtyard where people are welcome to drop in. All our camp members meet in this courtyard - rather than in hidden shady nooks - so there is always activity going on which induces others to join us.

We try to exude "Welcomeness" and always invite passing Burners to stay a while. Its has proven to be a successful approach. The informality, absence of structured positioning and edifices, indeed, the seeming "amateurishness" & spontaneity of it all, combine to make Burners feel quite welcome.

Project Interactivity
Scheduled Events,Acculturation for First time Burners,Body Painting,Heckling,Other,Painting,Lectures,Misting System,Ritual

Number of Campmates
41 to 50

Acculturation
We require 5 questions from every camper out of the Survival Bulletin from all camp members before being placed in camp. We query passerby with same questions from the Survival Bulletin. And more Verbosity: We welcome and respect the stranger. All strays are included in our gatherings and potluck meals. Participation is valued and members interact and collaborate with neighbor camps. Generous gifting includes the postcard activity and gifts (generous adult beverage giveaways to support dance camp bars; traypass breakfast to neighborhood, etc). We demonstrate decommodification and radical self-reliance with the individualization and playa adaptivity of the branded product that brings us together. We are self contained and in a position to help others and be a resource for individuals with less hardy shelters. Communal Effort and Civic Responsibility 
are supported by our well-attended playa talks. And our self contained trailers mean less impact to the portapotty system, and members are continually harangued to moop and are physically flogged by camp leadership if they Leave A Trace.

Physical Description
The Airstreameri is a self-contained camp of 22 Airstream camping trailers, from the 1950s up to this year’s models. The trailers and tow vehicles are arranged in two semicircles with a welcoming portal on the main street. Our portal is flanked by our highly popular (and public) Burners’ post card art activity and manikin-manned shade structure relaxation bar. Our only “structure” is an open-sided 14x24 tent canopy where the community gathers for meals and the annual “Playa Vicinity Geology and Ecology” lecture. Most of the Airstreams have roll-out awnings and they are parked in a way that allows for mutual shade and wind barrier support between pairs of trailers. This is a great aid for our 4 tent campers, since we provide pre-planned spots for them to nestle in among the Airstreams. The tow vehicles are parked between pairs of Airstreams on the non-awning side, which makes for a very compact camp. Each pair of Airstreams provides its own power from solar or small, quiet generators that are run only during the day. Other features of the camp are two gray water evaporation ponds, a required Moop container at each Airstream, a fire pit/burn barrel, and a physical arrangement that provides easy entry for large service vehicles (fire, water, sewage service). We start with a plan but remain flexible enough to accommodate being placed at a corner (preferred) or in the middle of a block. This flexibility has allowed the Airstreameri to welcome first time Airstream Burners (and other RV Burners as space permits) who obviously need some Acculturation. We are happy to provide! In addition to welcoming these strays into our camp, we encourage other Burners, through our open portal, to see how we use our Airstreams as self-contained boondocking environments throughout the year. The Airstream community is the original American Caravansary—famous for caravans around the world. The most famous is the Cairo to Cape Town journey in 1959, but the Silk Road Caravan, the ultimate trailer trip, followed a path mapped by Marco Polo in the late 13th century. This 403-day trek covered 31,000 miles and wound its way through Singapore, Malaysia, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Portugal, Syria, Thailand, and Russia. Burners are encouraged to stop by and get a taste of our caravan lifestyle.

Project Features

Sound Amplification
No

Sound Amplification Details

Stage
No

Big-Name Performers
No

Big-Name Performer List

Large Crowds
No

Do You Want Your Camp Listed Publicly?
Listed

Text for website listing
Airstreameri and What Not; come join us Wed evening for dusty scientific talks from a Geologist or Botanist or even a guyno talk by our resident Gynecologist. We have the Best Playa Post Card Table to misinform the folks back home where you are.

Camp Hometown
GENOA

Camp state/province
NV

Camp country
United States

Public URL for Camp

Public Email

1st additional contact
aka Zeppelinium

1st Additional contact role - Important to indicate, as this person may have more authority than the questionnaire filer.
Chief Wrangler

1st Additional contact email
dr.Q

1st Additional contact phone number

2nd Additional contact name
aka BamCamper

2nd Additional contact role - Important to indicate, as this person may have more authority than the questionnaire filer.
Chief Designer, Artist, Mentor

2nd Additional contact email

2nd Additional contact phone number

3rd Additional contact name

3rd Additional contact role - Important to indicate, as this person may have more authority than the questionnaire filer.
Camp Gynecologist and story teller

3rd Additional contact email

3rd Additional contact phone number

4th Additional contact name

4th Additional contact role - Important to indicate, as this person may have more authority than the questionnaire filer.

4th Additional contact email

4th Additional contact phone number

Additional Emails

Purchased a ticket?
Yes

Previous Camp Lead
Me, Perry Elbow aka NevadaGeo

Camp Producer
No

Camp Producer Name

Camp Producer Email

Producer Phone Number

Requested Sector, 1st choice
3:00 Avenue

Requested Frontage Option

Requested Sector, 2nd choice
3:00 Streets

Requested Frontage Option, 2nd choice

Requested Sector, 3rd choice
4:30 Avenue

Requested Frontage Option, 3rd choice

Requested Approximate square footage need by population

You would prefer not to camp near ...
Oh, certainly not them. And we don't wanta be next to those. Actually, not too close to the very loud camps please.

Requested Sector: Other Camps

Other Camp Location: Comments

Requested Approximate square footage need by population: Other Camps

LNT Contact Name
yep, someone
LNT Contact Email
lazy

Leave No Trace is a cornerstone of the Burning Man ethos and one of our Ten Principles.
Practice the 5 R's: Rethink, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Restore and Respect.,Reduce trash when packing.,Create a detailed strategy or plan for Leaving NO Trace

During Burning Man, our camp will:
Keep smelly garbage away from recyclables in BRC.,Clean As We Go and Keep It From Hitting the Ground.,Adopt the seven principles and practices of Leave No Trace at Burning Man.,Educate all camp members about minimizing our impact on the playa, so that my LNT crew can relax during the event knowing that all of our camp members are doing their part.,Conserve energy, use renewable energy sources and minimize waste.,Collect, reduce and properly dispose of grey water.,Use or creatively use discarded materials for all the components of our camp structure and decorations, so that our camp is sustainable year after year.

As we depart the playa, our camp will:
Bring tools to rake, magnetic rake, sweep and pick up every last nail and wood shard that dropped on the playa surface so that I leave my space and my surrounding spaces better than I found them,Follow the 'rule of thumb for line sweeps'- (hyperlink http://www.burningman.com/environmen...opmap10fin.jpg) – performing required multiple sweeps of our camp before leaving BRC. (One sweep is not enough. Do as many passes as necessary: the strength of the line sweep is in the number of people and passes.),Organize neighborhood MOOP sweeps. (Joining with neighboring camps and sweeping an entire block together is the best insurance against MOOP hot spots, bringing your own MOOP scores down.),Secure all vehicles' loads to prevent windblown trash on the highway and in neighboring communities.

Art Installation Name

Heavy Equipment Use
No

Heavy Equipment Details

Share Heavy Equipment

Outside Services Deliveries?
No

Outside Services Details

Outside Services Provider

Number and Type of Vehicles
We are expecting about 22 Airstream trailers with tow vehicles, and about 5 separate vehicles with tents.

RV / Portable Housing Rental
No

Number of RVs / Portable Housing Units

RV / Portable Housing Provider Name

RV/ Portable Housing Unit Provider Email

RV / Portable Housing Unit Provider Phone

Have you purchased a year-round storage container from Burning Man?
No

What is the PC # of the container that you purchased?

Shipping Container From Somewhere Else
No

Year-round Storage Facilities
No

Water for Civic Benefit
No

Mutant Vehicles
No

Mutant Vehicle Contacts

Generator Powered?
No

Number of Generators
4+

Kind of Fuel
gasoline

Fuel Storage
1-20

Alternative Power
Approx 10 of our campers will have some type of solar panels to charge batteries. Most of our campers will have their own generators to charge their batteries.

Comments
We wish to thank the placement gods for all the tireless work you go through just to get us dusty folk a piece of dust to dust off on. Thank You.

and I still have the bottle gift I brought for you last year, I never caught up with you all week. Be sure to come by and get it this year!

Flame Effects
No

Burn Barrels and Open Fire
No

Describe Burn Barrel or Open Fire

Camp Layout Plan Must be uploaded to complete questionnaire
53-accac16c27edd5bbd7c704d07d265608_Airstreameri and What Not 2014.jpg

NevadaGeo
Old 06-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #134
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
You will get playa akalai dust in the condenser even if you don't run the a/c. Yes, many people run their a/c during dust storms, and some of the weaker, wussie, unworthy, iconoclastic, antisocial Burners run them all the time.

Zep
Some burners run them in the morning to catch some extra sleep after getting to bed at 9:00 am.

- Bart
Old 06-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
some burners run them in the morning to catch some extra sleep after getting to bed at 9:00 am...
LOL

I was told 20 years ago by a hyper-kinetic boss that "sleep is for the weak."

Zep
Old 06-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #136
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Quote:
LOL

I was told 20 years ago by a hyper-kinetic boss that "sleep is for the weak."

Zep
Yup... and if you want to make it through the week, you'll sleep

Actually, if you like the nightlife, sleeping in the morning works well; it's not so hot and the AC can keep it quite tolerable.

We use our trailer for sleeping, showering and changing. Cooking, etc. happens outside.

- Bart
Old 06-18-2014, 01:19 AM   #137

Seattle , Washington
I am a newbie just organizing an airstream and tow vehicle.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:21 AM   #138

Seattle , Washington
How can I help and is there room in your community?
Old 06-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #139
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rweening View Post
How can I help and is there room in your community?
Do you have a ticket(s)? Just asking, since it increases your probability of attending if you do. You could look in the previous posts--I think there were a couple of ideas thrown out that need some work.

Bam, maybe it's time we started a running list of semi-committed attendees?

Zeppelinium -- 23' Safari, 2 people

Zep
Old 06-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #140
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Quote:
... list of semi-committed attendees?
Is that like a 72 hour hold?

- Bart
Closed Thread