Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 12:46 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We've taken our Airstream to Burning Man ever since we bought it 4 years ago. Right after we get back, the inside looks like a sno-globe where dust and clothes and this and that have been tossed at random.

The rest of the year, it looks like a nice camping trailer. (Yes, you could probably find dust in the crannies, but if you enjoyed Burning Man, you won't mind the reminders.) We wipe the walls with microfiber cloth from Costco. We power wash the removable rugs and vacuum the curtains. Our other upholstery is covered (made into beds) while we're there and stays pretty clean. Dilute vinegar water cuts the alkali dust so that it wipes right off.

The dust isn't like sand, more the consistency of talcum powder. The dust storms aren't abrasive to the trailer surface. It's a good idea to use painters tape to seal the outsides of the windows. This helps a lot in keeping the dust out of the trailer.

Some people manage to keep their trailers clean while they are there - a haven of tidy in a dusty world. We choose to spend our time out in that world and not to worry about tracking dust into the trailer. It cleans up fine once we get home.

The only real damage that one might be at risk from is the occasional airborne tent or other insufficiently secured structure or item when the wind really picks up. The miles of road leading to Black Rock City from the paved highway get hellishly potholed but the end of the event. Another good reason to obey the 5 mph speed limit. Other than that, I'm not sure what damage you would be worried about.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #102
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
This will be my 20th consecutive burn, the AS in tow since '98... so far so good!
Old 05-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMerridy View Post
Many of my friends attend Burning Man. And we just bought a nice 28' 2003!Airstream. I'm worried about it being damaged.
Not sure what kind of damage you are imagining, other than it having too much fun. We'll promise not to use your trailer sides for a writing board during my boring scientific talks, or stencil proofing, or hanging posters, or basketball backboard. I'm picking up some nice inch and half diameter tent stake material from work to hold down awnings from blowing over your top. Can't guarantee what the dust devils and whiteouts might send through the air though but I don't know of anyone that's had their trailer damaged by flying tents although tent flying is a major activity. That's part of MOOP pick up patrol too.
As Barbi said, the dust if mitey fine. I did a hydrometer test on some playa dust, after 6 days of settling in water there was still 24% of the dust suspended in water.......oh I've gotta find a new line, everyone's heard that at least 5 years now. Vinegar or a other weak acid really helps to neutralize the alkaline dust. I've had good luck with seltzer water for my feet, haven't tried it on windshield or trailer yet.

NevadaGeo
Old 05-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte B View Post
This will be my 20th consecutive burn, the AS in tow since '98... so far so good!
Hey Happy New Year, Monte!

NevadaGeo
Old 05-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #105
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Ladysmith , Wisconsin
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1399830735.685901.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	641.8 KB
ID:	211660 my baby and the just purchased Airstream
Old 05-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Attachment 211660 my baby and the just purchased Airstream
Cool,, looks like a nice one for sure.. take care of it and it will take care of you'll
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
Old 05-11-2014, 11:03 PM   #107
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
Quote:
Attachment 211660 my baby and the just purchased Airstream
The baby looks fine... the AS could use a little playa patina!

Monte
Old 05-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #108
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Ladysmith , Wisconsin
Monte - we gotta get 2 tickets to go.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Sad news from Reno about Gary

Very sad news from Reno; our main Geologist for the name Airstreameri and Geologists has passed. Just a couple weeks ago he asked me if there were tickets available. We'll be hard pressed to find a knowledgeable and talented speaker like Gary. He was one of those that slapped down their business card at that Geological Society of Nevada dinner meeting years ago when I was casting about for hints on how to do the participation requirement to be a placed theme camp at Burning Man, from that I had the inspiration for the name, Airstreameri (Airstreams, plural) and Geologists ( to do the participatory part, scientific talks, to be a theme camp, we know the airstreamers wouldn't) :::from the GSN:

A good friend of ours and the GSN’s died yesterday afternoon. Gary Fechko passed away Wednesday, May 21st, after a brief fight against brain cancer. He will be sorely missed by all as Gary was loved by a great son and two daughters and his special loving partner Michele. His membership in the GSN began in the late 1960’s and continued until his death.

Gary began his studies in the College of San Mateo from 1959 through 1961. He then transferred to the University of Nevada – Reno, where he continued studying geology at the Mackay School of Mines. He later transferred over to the Ag Department where he received a BSc in Soils Science in the mid 1960’s.

The highlights of his professional career include: managing the Rocky Mountain Geochemical Laboratory during the 1970’s; helping found and run, along with Henry Scales, the very successful Hunter Mining Laboratory in the 1980’s. Gary remained active in the geochemical industry by designing and managing the fire assay portion of Geochemical Services Incorporated (GSI) in the late 1980’s. From there, he designed and constructed the Barringer Laboratory facilities in Reno. In the mid 1990’s, Gary decided to change direction and became a very successful real estate agent. He continued in this profession until his death.

What we all remember about Gary was his happy and upbeat demeanor. His attitude was always positive and he continually looked on the ‘bright side’. No half empty tank ever entered Gary’s mind. These are the memories of Gary that will always be with us.

Memorial services are being planned.

NevadaGeo
Old 05-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #110
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Gary's passing

So sorry to hear about Gary's passing. He was my neighbor at 2012 Burning Man and we would spend many an hour under Perry's awning discussing science and medicine--he at that time was being treated for prostate cancer. He was always upbeat and chipper in spite of his ailment. I was surprised to find out from reading Perry's bio of Gary that he was almost my age (74). He sure didn't look it. My best wishes go out to his family and other Burners.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
Old 05-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Ladysmith , Wisconsin
Sorry to hear also. Keep his spirit alive.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We are sad to hear of Gary's passing.

We have been absent for the last several weeks dealing with my mom's death. She went from a normal, productive life to death from cancer in only 5 weeks.

But, we are looking forward to August and see folks on the playa.

Regards,

JD

Old 05-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #113
Fun chiCK

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
JacobMerridy,

We purchased a new 2009 Flying Cloud in May 2010 and took it to Burning Man that same year. And we've taken it back each year since. The Airstream can take it don't worry!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:30 AM   #114

Reno , Nevada
Thank you for the kind words about Gary. I was doing some computer work and happened to stumble across this forum. I am his oldest daughter and a long time burner. It's was great to see him involved with Burning Man. We didn't see much of each other in recent years and I happened to run into him on the playa in 2010, which was funny as he used to give my little brother a lot of grief for going back in the late 90's. Of course I had to run off to center camp to pick up some cell service and text my brother with the news! If you're in the Reno area, his service will be on June 6th. I'm also planning on setting something up in the temple this year. I should have the specifics on times sometime this week.
Thanks again.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:16 AM   #115
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
No longer receiving alerts?

I use to get a message alert in my air forum app on my IPad but it's vanished, anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it? Don't want to miss that much needed message that 2 tickets have become available.Thanks a bunch.
Holly
Old 05-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #116
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Redwood City , California
Airstream virgins

We have attended burning man many times but always via tent camping. This is our first Airstream visit to burning man and anywhere that hot in a trailer. I don't want to deal with generators, how well does the trailer do without AC? How do people manage the thermal state of the trailer best?
Old 06-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #117
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We camped our first two trailer years without AC in our airstream and even now choose to leave it off most of the time even when we have power.

The trick is to insulate the windows. I tape reflectix (shiny bubble wrap) to the outside of each window using blue or green painters tape. I've also just put the cut pieces inside each window. This is faster and easier but putting it on the outside prevents the glass from getting warm and keeps the trailer a bit cooler. The trick about putting in on the outside is that you have a small time window to put it on. If you drive with it on the outside, you risk having it blow off. If you wait too long after arriving on the playa, the thin film of dust prevents the tape from sticking as well as it might.

There is usually very little wind at night, so we would leave the trailer door open and open a roof vent, then close it all up before we went to sleep. This dropped the internal temp enough to make in comfortable to sleep until about 10 am. Don't ever leave your door open if you're not there, though. Wind can kick up any time and an open door lets in a fair amount of dust.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #118
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
I echo Barbie's comments.

I had great success in using gaffer's tape rather than masking or painter's tape which can leave a residue if left on too long in the sun.

I didn't seal or cover the windows - that simply it didnt cross my mind! However I did cover and seal off the fridge, furnace and water heater vents with the reflective plastic again using gaffers tape.

I was never "home" in the day so I had no need for the AC; the nights are nice and cool so again, no need. An open window was all that was needed.

I did bring a generator but for topping off the batteries now and then, it was not needed.

HAve fun!
Old 06-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfringe View Post
We have attended burning man many times but always via tent camping. This is our first Airstream visit to burning man and anywhere that hot in a trailer. I don't want to deal with generators, how well does the trailer do without AC? How do people manage the thermal state of the trailer best?
The aluminum does heat up probably more than your tent. As Barbi says, the reflective stuff on windows helps. I found that a roll of the water heater aluminum bubble wrap stuff on the interior walls every where you can put it helps a whole bunch. (also in the winter camping) If you're hardy, lots make do without air conditioning. Monte has good luck with a little swamp cooler that his solar panels keeps going, and years of engineering with his shade structure. Keep the sun off the sides as much as you can with the ZipDee awnings. Or you make friends with those with air for those few super hot hours.

NevadaGeo
Old 06-01-2014, 10:16 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyhunter View Post
I use to get a message alert in my air forum app on my IPad but it's vanished, anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it? Don't want to miss that much needed message that 2 tickets have become available.Thanks a bunch.
Holly
Holly, did posting again help with the message announce?

NevadaGeo
Closed Thread