Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #141
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Hey, it turns out I know someone in Placement, and she's working with HepKitten this year. This means that it comes from the horse's mouth when I say that how a camp presents itself has a direct impact on where it gets placed. If you want to be placed closer to Esplanade, bring the energy and participation and presentation that the camps near Esplanade have. Camping on B means much less schlepping along a bumpy road to get home each day. It also means that more of the show passes by your front yard on a regular basis.

I know it's hard to think about trying to appeal to passers by when traffic is thin in your neighborhood, but the appeal comes before the change in neighborhood.

If theme camp participation is not what the majority of people in the camp want to spend a significant amount of time on, the camp placement will reflect that.

So, newbies and veterans alike, spend a bit of time as you wander around and consider the different camps you see and what seems to give back most to the street. Are there people there most times when you pass by? Do they draw a crowd every day? What's their draw? How much staffing does that take?

Resist the temptation to draw your inspiration from those that aren't doing much on a daily basis. That quiet camp may not be getting that spot again next year. Airstreameri were placed on B the first year and on H the next. Camps are placed based on what they do, so make it a conscious choice with an understanding of what's behind the placement.

Placement workers are in many ways responsible for laying out a vibrant, exciting BRC. They like appreciation for their work (Heidi likes tequila), but they're not going to be swayed (much) by such benefits. This is their city too and they want it to be lively where it needs to be lively.

Thanks for reading this far. If you actually made it all the way through, stop by the Tin Pickle at Ranger Outpost Berlin (3:00 plaza) and join me for a shot of tequila or whiskey and we'll explore further the nature of intentional communities.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #142
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Interesting note from Webspinner......

In keeping with it I have an SOS....

I posted here earlier that we are bringing down a false front medical clinic to mount on the end of a cargo trailer complete with astroturf front lawn.

Would someone kindly offer to volunteer to make a banner sign - about 8' across x 18" or so saying " AS, Geo & Gyno Clinic" ? cardboard, fabric ... whatever !

As well, we need a 3x3' sign with a red cross on white and a smaller sign " Dr. is IN"

Lastly, does anyone have a couple of beach or portable umbrellas they could bring for the front lawn?

Hopefully we can put the PO nearby, enjoy drinks etc by the clinic and make it interesting!

90 days left!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #143
Julie F

1959 18' "Footer"
1976 27' Overlander
Sandy , Oregon
Simple question: Where do u buy the sliding rail trim that goes on the awning fabric to attach to the trailer? I thought I would take advantage of my rail on the airstream by making a shade structure out of fabric I have. My awning will get trashed so need to make a throwaway one. Thoughts?
winebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #144
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
The part that stiffens the fabric is called awning rope and you can get it at sailrite and other marine supply places.

The part that attaches to the trailer, and that the awning rope slides into is called awning track. Both are available through this link.

http://search.sailrite.com/?freeText=awning%20channel&history=iv7mb8sq||sub_a ttr_name~Store_ID^refineValue~Retail1...yatg4jtn|| freeText~aluminum%20channel
Old 06-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #145
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
We will be providing a small "bar" surrounded by a cast of colorful characters (mannequins and assorted dummies) that will be serving up beverages to the community at random times to be posted. Others are welcome to step up, use the bar area, and offer whatever they would like at whatever time.

Also I'll have a few games for passers by to engage in like bocci and bolo-esque ladder toss. There will be lots of signs and lights and decor.

To me it doesn't really matter where we are placed. Closer is nice but we are and have always been a bit more casual type of theme camp. We aren't a major village and that's okay. The community needs all kinds of camps. I remember a lovely evening when an impromptu marshmallow toasting was a hit with people wandering by. There are plenty of camps that are big and loud and splashy. It's all good.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #146
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
The community needs all kinds of camps. I remember a lovely evening when an impromptu marshmallow toasting was a hit with people wandering by. There are plenty of camps that are big and loud and splashy. It's all good.
I fully agree, Bam.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Notes from Placement about Intellectual Property

I'm not here, working over there in Husky Fans back yard in Green Bay country. Who knew that Green Bay is a bay of water? We won't hear about our camp getting placed for another month or so probably. This note from Placement makes some sense about not making cents from using the Man symbol:::::::::

Greetings Burning Artists and Theme Campers!

This is a public service announcement from Burning Man's Intellectual Property Team.

Fundraising season is now in full swing, and questions from many of you have been making their way to us on the use of Burning Man's intellectual property for fundraising purposes.

We hear you!

We therefore thought it might be helpful to share Burning Man's approach to intellectual property (aka "IP") with you, and how our collective IP can be used in fundraising, in case anyone still has any questions.

There are Three Topics we will address in this email:

Gifting of items containing Burning Man Logos or images
Use of the words “Burning Man” or “Black Rock City”
Personal Use of Photographs taken at the Burning Man Event

1. Gifting of the Trademark
Burning Man has federally registered symbols depicting The Man and words like "Burning Man," "Black Rock City," "Decompression," "Burnal Equinox," and "Flambe Lounge" as trademarks of Burning Man. We do this so that we can protect these symbols or words and make sure that third parties cannot use these items for commercial or other unwelcome purposes, or otherwise associate themselves with us, causing confusion as to Burning Man's involvement. This also helps us preserve the Decommodification and Gifting Principles that are an important part of our culture. While Burning Man protects its trademarks from unauthorized use by third parties, Burning Man always encourages the community to incorporate and use the trademarks in their art and projects on the Playa.

To This End and in keeping with the Gifting principle, Burning Man permits the use of Burning Man’s trademarks (Man logos and images) on items to be GIFTED both on and off the Playa.

Totally OK:

Items with the Man trademark can be gifted at fundraising events as a thank you, note of appreciation or recognition, or as a reward in return for some achievement, contribution, or lampoon.
(Example: keychain with trademark for guests of your fundraising event or lighters with the trademark for your theme camp crew)

Projects with Kickstarter Campaigns (or similar fundraising tools) have permission from Burning Man to gift items at various price tiers that contain Burning Man's trademarks or photography. (Example: Donate $15 to our Kickstarter and get this “gift” mug with the Man symbol- OK)

Not OK However:

You cannot sell any items with Burning Man’s trademarks. This includes vending online in peer-to-peer resale spaces as eBay or Etsy. (Examples: selling a Burning Man logo t-shirt for your theme camp on eBay or selling earrings with the man symbol on Etsy- Not OK!)

2. Use of the words “Burning Man” or “Black Rock City”
Now, a word about words. You may use the term “Burning Man” or “Black Rock City” as part of descriptive text, but do not use these words as the central adjective (or only adjective). Burning Man does not want people confused about who is sponsoring or producing the event. See the examples below.

Totally OK:

"A Fundraiser for Camp Forgotten Monsters at Burning Man." Or
"A Fundraiser for the John Frum Institute Art Project at Burning Man,"

Not OK:

"Burning Man Fundraiser for Camp Forgotten Monsters.” or
"Burning Man Fundraiser for the John Frum Institute Art Project."

Nuanced, but different. Two Fundraisers doing art events.

Personal use of Photographs.

Anyone who comes to the Burning Man event is allowed to take photographs for personal use. This means it is absolutely ok to share these images with friends, post these images on social networks, print personal copies and share your media in informal presentations. However, as soon as the use of media taken at the Burning Man event expands to non-personal use, you need advance permission from Burning Man. See examples below.

Totally OK:
Posting images from the Burning Man event on Facebook to your personal account;
Gifting your friend a lovely photo from the event.

Not OK However:
Posting images from the Burning Man event to your Theme Camp Fundraiser Page or website;

Selling images captured at Burning Man in any manner.

If you want to sell or post photos professionally, you must work with press@burningman.com for permission to shoot, record and distribute images you take at the event.

Given the kinds of questions that have been raised, and the uses we allow for fundraisers, hopefully we have answered any questions you may have regarding Burning Man's approach to intellectual property.

But if you do have any more questions, please feel free to shoot us an email at:

ip@burningman.com

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #148
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Help me wordify for the WHAT?WHERE?WHEN? add

Here's another note from Placement. First 1500 get to place an add in the WHAT?WHERE?WHEN?book. We got some audience to our Wednesday evening talks from the blurb last year, anyone have words to put in besides the nonsense I write? :::::::::::::::

PLAYA EVENT Listings and the WHAT? WHERE? WHEN? Guide

Get ready to tell the world about your on playa events in 140 characters or less.

The listing opens Friday June 15, 2013

Whether you're showing a movie at your hand-built drive-in theater, holding a life-size whack-a-mole tournament, or hosting daily tantric yoga classes at your camp, be sure to add your event to the 2013 Playa Events Registration, so people know when and where to find it! Don't worry that you don't have your placed location, we'll take care of listing your address with your events.

The link to add your event to the 2013 Directory is PlayaEvents : Black Rock City

The on-line submission form and directory will be available through the Burning Man event, but only the events submitted before July 1st, 2013 – or the first 1500 received, whichever comes first – will also be included in the What? Where? When? guide, the printed playa events listing that's handed out at the Greeters' Station.

Where else do Playa Events appear? If you've marked your event to be public, it will be found in a variety of places:

The API (Application Programming Interface) for software developers to include in their mobile or PC applications.

The Directory computer system at Playa Info, where participants can add more events as well as browse them. If you add a password, you can edit your event on the Directory.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

REMEMBRANCE PLAQUE OF NAMES: submit by July 20th

Remembrance Plaque for Burners Lost 2012-2013

Since 1996, an anonymous Burner has created a plaque to commemorate members of our community who have passed away the previous year. This tradition continues to honor those people who have affected our Burning experiences and who participated in creating Burning Man. This is a call out to you, our community, to please let us know of any Burners lost in the last year whose names you feel should be added to this year's Remembrance Plaque.

Please send only their name, exactly as you would like to see it appear, to this address:

remembrance@burningman.com

(**please DO NOT HIT REPLY to this newsletter to submit a name.**)

Submissions must be received by July 20th to be included on this year's plaque. Submissions after the 20th will be added to next year's plaque.

Look for the completed plaque at the base of the Man. (Important note: the plaque is displayed at the Manbase, not the Temple, where more elaborate and personal memorials are created by participants).

May their spirits move on to the eternal playa!

Burning Man on YouTube

This online film library showcases the best examples of films inspired by
Burning Man's history, ethos, international community, and growing
year-round culture. These videos tell the story of Burning Man's evolution
in the world, and serve as reminders of the past, landmarks for the
present, and inspiration for the future. This project is exciting enough to
have been announced on Laughing Squid, as well as on our own Burning Blog.
Check it out at Burning Man - YouTube.
Maybe you have a video of your Burning Man story to submit!
Burning Man Announces Official YouTube Channel & Asks For Video Submissions

More Details:

- Placement is announced early July
- Please do not reply to this email
- Camp Leads can add subscribers by sending placement@burningman,com an email with the camp name in the subject line and the names and emails addresses in the message.
-

- The 2013 Placement Team:

Abdullah, Answergirl, Big Cheese, BlackJack and the Flaggers, Bravo, Deputy, HepKitten, Idontcare, Panty Free, Papa Bear, Retro, Rev. Bloodshot (on hiatus), Scar, SwaMpy, Sweetthang, The Governess, The Machine and Whatsit

NevadaGeo
Old 06-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #149
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Tickets Received!

Yippee.....Burning Man Tickets received today!

Somehow the marshmallow idea is sticking in my head. Is anyone else now adding this to their grocery list like I am?

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #150
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Need a ticket to Burning Man?

Got my tix too. Woo and hoo. Turns out I have an extra ticket. PM me if you need one.

Cheers.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #151
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
RMB I will make the red cross sign and the Dr is in sign for you. I also created an event for the online event thingie. 7:30 am to 10 am staffing the postcard booth. I am often the first one up so it will give me something to do. Going to see if my campmates will commit some hours too!
Old 06-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #152
2 Rivet Member

2007 22' International CCD
fLUSHING , New York
I will be arriving two days early before the 26 of Aug. I don't have any camps or a place to call home. I will be driving from nyc. I will be a part of the ESD/MHB, I would also like to become part of a camp. I will do my part to help the camp become our home away from home> Please any ideas or offers. Thank you,
DaCosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #153
2 Rivet Member

fLUSHING , New York
what camp are the airburner going to be at.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #154
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCosta View Post
what camp are the airburner going to be at.
Per my PM to you, we don't know exactly the geographic location until late on Saturday. You are welcome to join us--some Streamers fall out and can't show up, so we are fairly certain we will have room.

Look for us in the area between 2:30 and 3:30, between 3 and 6 streets out. Since you are an early arrival, I'll have no trouble parking you.

Zep
Old 06-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #155
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Heyy Da Costa!

We will be there two days early too - perhaps if you have time you can help us with our medical clinic build at our camp and playa piece! It would be much appreciated.

....and Pink! Many thanks for your offer to contribute :-) You are a Gem!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:43 AM   #156
2 Rivet Member

fLUSHING , New York
count me in

Hello fellow helpers, I will be at station 9 between c and d. i will be on the playa two days before and i will help with the mobile clinic. send me the info were you will be at so i can meet up to set up. Thank a great journey to the playa.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #157
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Sos

Attn: Air Streamers, Geologists and Gynos

My pal and I have a project we are bringing down from Canada that will be placed on the Playa and will burn Thursday night at 11PM.

Artery tells us we need to man the fire perimeter - or no burn - that is to say, we need 6 souls who would be willing to wear a dandy reflective vest ( which you can keep) and maintain the fire perimeter for about 1 hour while it burns.

The piece is silvery but other than that not too AS related. However, having said that, thanks to the work of the people who came before me, we are a "core" camp ensuring that we will have a presence at a good location. This small project will add to our credibility and "coreness" for the future so if you could help, you'd be helping the group too! One hour or so..... that's all!

Thanks for considering it...

M
Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #158
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
Attn: Air Streamers, Geologists and Gynos

My pal and I have a project we are bringing down from Canada that will be placed on the Playa and will burn Thursday night at 11PM.

Artery tells us we need to man the fire perimeter - or no burn - that is to say, we need 6 souls who would be willing to wear a dandy reflective vest ( which you can keep) and maintain the fire perimeter for about 1 hour while it burns.

The piece is silvery but other than that not too AS related. However, having said that, thanks to the work of the people who came before me, we are a "core" camp ensuring that we will have a presence at a good location. This small project will add to our credibility and "coreness" for the future so if you could help, you'd be helping the group too! One hour or so..... that's all!

Thanks for considering it...

M
Hey Thanks for all the work to get that far! I'm pretty sure there'll be enough around to do the fire watch, Especially if there's some Silvery Firey concoctions to imbibe too! Sounds like a tasting event in the making... or maybe shortly after if the form won't allow. Planning people, Silvery Firey concoction recipies?

NevadaGeo
Old 06-27-2013, 12:09 AM   #159
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Silvery Fiery concoctions?

Well, reaching back into my irresponsible youth I recall a wonderful mix of:
1 bottle of green Crème de Menthe
2 Bottles of Vodka
1 bag of ice.

You fly in no time! LOL
Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #160
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
I can fill three of those vests Michelle and do some onsite recruiting for you.