Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #101
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Art Installation

Hey Nevadageo

I am thinking/working on an "art" installation to place on the Playa.... I have sent a submission directly to BM - is that cool? Or, should it go through you as our Emperor and Grand Mufti?

Cheers!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Hey Bravo on some art! It'll help with our groveling to be placed, maybe we'll get a little closer than outer Tertiary Avenue even. I'm just the formologist imaginating us onto the playa with the application process, and somehow placement hasn't caught on to us yet...
Now we gotta get some Mutant Vehicles in our midst, to help get you out to your art. I think the art questions in the theme camp application (back on post #96) were probably covered in your application, let me know what you think.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #103
2 Rivet Member

2007 22' International CCD
fLUSHING , New York
Hello fellow streamer, finally I am making the track across the us, New York City to Black Rock City. I want to ask a question I will be building a white picket fence around my AS for two reason. On because I always wanted a white picket fence and two to protect my AS from other dauber form other people that haven't done their research about the 100 mile an hour wings, I don't want some tent fling into my AS. Plus I think it will cool. Is this do a bull please get back to me. thank you
DaCosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #104
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Build a picket fence for looks if you want, but unless it's a lot higher and stronger than the typical picket fence, it won't help if your neighbor's 200 lb carport goes airborn in a dust devil.

I've seen carports blown clear over a Suburban w/o touching it, but that sort of thing is rare. Unstaked tents go flying more often, but that's not much of a hazard - they're really light.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCosta View Post
...I will be building a white picket fence around my AS for two reason. ... I don't want some tent fling into my AS. Plus I think it will cool. ...
My first impression is that this won't help unless it's 15' tall (agree with BARTS). For looks, this sounds neat, but if it's a "keep out" kind of thing, then it's anti-Burner. Adding little touches like this to make a campsite look like home is a real plus.

I've been in the Airstream camp 4 times with various vintage Airstreams. I've never suffered and dings and I don't recall anyone else getting dinged, either. Not to say it won't happen, of course. We try to park everyone so that the Airstreams provide wind breaks for each other and the camp, so exposure is minimized. Two years ago we had camps on both sides that were in very large tent structures, 9-12' high, that provided lots of cover--not from the wind so much as for flying things.

If you have a concern, I would rig up a heavy mesh wall (strong webbing and a suitable frame (PVC?), with rope and stakes to keep it teathered in high wind) and then erect it on the exposed side of your Airstream. I think you'll find you only need to protect one side. Lots of campers use something like this for a sunshade.

The wind blows from 6 o'clock 90% of the time. (That's about 210 degrees.)

Innovations welcome.
Dr Quark
Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Another thing to consider is how to anchor a picket fence to the ground. Digging holes for posts must be done according to guildelines for Leave No Trace and with the shared understanding of all the camp that the time consuming process of filling and wetting and filling and wetting must be followed.

Rebar stakes do a good job of anchoring things to the ground - 12-18" of rebar below ground should work, depending on how tall a fence you are planning to bring. It helps a lot to weld a cross bar at what will be ground level, and then attach the fence to the part that sticks up.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:32 AM   #107
2 Rivet Member

fLUSHING , New York
Thanks everyone, The picket fence will be mostly for looks. It defiantly will not be anti burning man. The fence will be only 3 feet high with with 10, 4 by 4's anchored down 2 1/2 ft. under ground. I will be putting a sign up, Home Sweet Home. Please if you see me come by for a cup of hot coffee or some cold lemon aid.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Be sure to check the Burning Man guides about 4x4 holes. Large holes must be completely filled in before you leave the event. This means filling with dust, wetting down, waiting, filling again, wetting down again, waiting again, repeat, repeat...it's a very slow process so be sure to allow plenty of time. Dents left in the playa by improperly filled holes will jeopardize theme camp status for the whole group for the next year.

Rebar holes can be left as is and seem to be self healing. They are also easier to make, since they require only rebar and a heavy hammer and don't require you to have a place to store the stuff you take out of the ground so that you have something to refill your holes with.

I know I sound school marm-ish, but Leave No Trace is a vital part of Burning Man, a principle that sets this event apart from all other gatherings of this size. It is something to be proud of.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #109
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Bolinas , California
Hello all. just thought I'd chime in here. we usually camp just off the 3 o'clock plaza. This will be the first year with our airstream. we are part of a crew that builds a tower just off the plaza. I like the sound of your camp being on that side of town. I'd feel more at home with all that aluminum in the area.
geoff evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:18 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
Be sure to check the Burning Man guides about 4x4 holes. Large holes must be completely filled in before you leave the event. This means filling with dust, wetting down, waiting, filling again, wetting down again, waiting again, repeat, repeat...it's a very slow process so be sure to allow plenty of time. Dents left in the playa by improperly filled holes will jeopardize theme camp status for the whole group for the next year.

Rebar holes can be left as is and seem to be self healing. They are also easier to make, since they require only rebar and a heavy hammer and don't require you to have a place to store the stuff you take out of the ground so that you have something to refill your holes with.

I know I sound school marm-ish, but Leave No Trace is a vital part of Burning Man, a principle that sets this event apart from all other gatherings of this size. It is something to be proud of.
The soil actually is different at 2 or 2 1/2 feet, it's not nice to be stirring it up. As I understand, our runway at the Black Rock City International is distinguished from miles of playa by exposing the different color soil a few inches below the surface.
Think of attaching something to the dry playa surface as trying to work on miles of thick sheetrock, except it's harder. But it won't stand up once you put a hole in it, it falls to about 50 or 40 degree repose when it's crunched. Except if it gets wet, it has no strength, just slop. Dry it is very difficult to dig a hole that it don't fall in on itself, even as small as to plant a solar yard light a few inches.
(I digress, particle size is very very small, after 6 days of letting a sample settle in a vertical water flask, 24some% was still in suspension. A bit of my boring Wednesday evening talk, you can skip that part now. Except that makes a difference in the dust mask you might want to pick up. very small, a decimal or two less than the .o2)
#4 or #3 rebar works well for hold downs, 18 inches long seems to be more than plenty. A modified fencepost driver can help to drive the rebar, except it's best to have the rebar flush to the ground so I don't trip over it in the dark. Welding on a washer at the end of the rebar helps for your anchorage, and to pull the bar. But do a better job welding than I did.
Pulling rebar out of the playa can get to be a trick, we need to have a few rebar pullers. Last year the Coffmans were able to use their truck to pull out a few stubborn rebar, with out a mishap. I don't think?
Interesting to note, this airstream camp has been in the general 3:00 area since 2007, that I've been part of. We have threads here on Airforums since '08.

Pop Quiz: What has our playa address been over the years?

NevadaGeo
Old 03-31-2013, 11:55 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We joined the Airstreameri when the camp was at 2:15 and Babylon, I believe.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #112
2 Rivet Member

fLUSHING , New York
Thank you all for everyones wisdom concerning my white picket fence. Home depot has these 4 by 4 post holders and they will do zero trace of damage on the playa.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #113
2 Rivet Member

fLUSHING , New York
no foot print zero trace

my fence will be. and to all my friends that are concerned about the leave no trace behind, this should do the job, what do you think.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
That should work, I think.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #115
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
Something like this listed on-line from Lowe's... "Gatehouse 3-ft x 8-ft White Gothic Picket Vinyl Fence Panel" Item #: 56507 | Model #: 73002105. Anchored to the playa w/rebar then zip-tied should withstand the playa, relatively inexpensive, and light weight.
Monte.
Ps; Burnstream Court will again be around 8:15 & G for 2013!
Monte B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Do we have a head count for people wanting to do an Airstreameri theme camp?

I haven't seen much in the way of activity except for NevadaGeo's requests for help with the camp application. Is the theme camp happening this year? Is it happening but without the application process (which would mean no reserved placement, I think)?

Usually, there's a lot more activity around the camp application process regarding participatory activities and ways to fill out the form.

Sounds like Monte B is with Burnstream Court (are they a placed camp, or do they have early access though volunteer stuff so that they can claim a spot?). Creech is camping at Ranger Outpost Tokyo, and barts and I will be at Ranger Outpost Berlin.

Who's in the Airstreameri and what's the camp going to be doing? If I were in NevadaGeo's shoes, I'd want a little help with the application ideas.

I'll start, in the "acculturation" department: even though I'm not camping with the group, I'll offer a few hours of playa touring, either on bikes or on roboshaw to help nudge newbies out to the art in deep playa, complete with commentary on porta-potty pointers. Bring your moop bags and we'll also do some mid week practice of Leave No Trace.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #117
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
Welcome Geoff! We are in the planning stages. Get caught up on our posts and chime in!

Patrick and I are bringing 2 more people. We would like to be in the Airstreameri Geo Camp.
The Club House, Pick-up truck, two tents and (fingers crossed) art bike.
Acculturation *This question is required.
As the Burning Man event and culture grows, we are all challenged by demonstrating our values to the newest members of our community. How will your camp meet this challenge?
I really like the postcard thing we do and between us 4 will keep it populated during the morning hours every-single-day. We will have the Cargo Culture rug rolled out and be sharing this with not only the newest members of burning man but all who wish to participate. I will bring 2 rubbermaid tubs full of fun stuff to collage into your own postcard or folks can choose one already made, fill it out, address it, and put it in the outgoing mail! We will serve all who seek us out or happen by until stocks are depleted.

· Interactivity...
· Interactivity Description *This question is required.
· Please describe your Camp's concepts and goals, philosophy and plans for personal interaction with the community for this year’s event. (This is the most important information we are collecting from you).
· We are the Airstreameri & Geo... We come in our Airstreams with friends to Burning Man. We believe in travel, making friends, art and sharing. Within our community of Burning Man we are prepared to share postcards and stamps to mail them and other stuff (shots). Granted this is an old fashioned way of communication and slow. However, even the idea of it promotes the idea of one world, one family. From our humble table to the hands of another, a few scribbled words, a stamp. From here passed to many more hands until it reaches its final destination.
· Words used:0out of 1000.
Wordify please, some of you have seen what I write there......

Speaking of mail, I was walking with friends here in the city and one friend had brought another friend Deborah, who I did not know. Somehow we got on the topic of burning man and Airstreams and the Airstreameri Camp. Then she says to me, "Oh cool do you know the lady who did all the sewing?" I told her that was me! We both laughed and remembered our dusty selves. She was a part of the postal service and had come to deliver one of Perry's many letters that came that week.

okey dokey, I wrote some stuff and gave some info. I hope this helps. Someone else feel free to take what I wrote and fix it up sum.
What else can I help with Perry?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #118
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Nevada:

I am still waiting to hear from BM if my pal and I can put an art piece on the Playa. If we get permission, we will need help from some of our campers when we burn it down. If that doesnt work, we are thinking of a false front to go on the end of a shiney trailer... "AG&G Medical Clinic" I think we need to reenforce one aspect of our name ;-)

Cheers
Old 04-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #119
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
I will help burn Michele... Am I spelling your name right?

AG&G Medical Clinic, is this a Bar? What do we do if someone comes to deliver a baby or get a pap schmear and your not there?

How about AG&G Medical Clinic Bar? We could come up with some pretty funny names for drinks at this hot spot!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
Nevada:

I am still waiting to hear from BM if my pal and I can put an art piece on the Playa. If we get permission, we will need help from some of our campers when we burn it down. If that doesnt work, we are thinking of a false front to go on the end of a shiney trailer... "AG&G Medical Clinic" I think we need to reenforce one aspect of our name ;-)

Cheers
We'll probly help, but I don't know the artery and playa rules on the fireblanket and gravel you need under the piece before you burn. I know the big pieces have a considerable installation under neath before the art goes up.

NevadaGeo