Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50KIP View Post
But if we are going to be "hawking" product at a major event we should at least get some support from the "company" and its dealers. (Or is that thought counter to Burning Man philosophy)?
"Decommodification
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience."

This isn't about Airstream per se. It's about our own relationships with our trailers, with aluminum, with "Ooh, shiny!" and with how we want to share that with the community.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
QUOTE:
"Decommodification
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience." UNQUOTE

I'm not going to Burning Man with the intent of promoting, or "selling" Airstream in any way. In fact I would be a poor salesman as I have at times spoken disparagingly of the brand. However, there is a fine line here. Since there will be a bivouac of a dozen or so Airstreams at BRC is in fact a statement of commodification. If this were played to the letter of the "law" the BRC DEA (Decommodification Enforcement Agency) would have all Hertz, Ryder, and Penske rental trucks cover up their logos before entering the Playa. All shiny silver RVs would have to tape over the "AIRSTREAM" fore and aft topside on their units and all NIKE-shod soles (souls) would have to cover their SWOOSHES. Maybe we should all go around barefoot and naked; however, that is unhealthy, for the feet anyway. Marketing and branding is in the American cultural DNA and it is everywhere and can't be avoided, only discouraged.

'Nuff said. I'll step down from the pulpit and shut up...

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50KIP View Post
If this were played to the letter of the "law" the BRC DEA (Decommodification Enforcement Agency) would have all Hertz, Ryder, and Penske rental trucks cover up their logos before entering the Playa.
While this is neither required nor enforced, it is encouraged. I always get a kick out of the creative ways that people use colored tape to modify rental truck branding into messages the original company would NEVER condone.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
While this is neither required nor enforced, it is encouraged. I always get a kick out of the creative ways that people use colored tape to modify rental truck branding into messages the original company would NEVER condone.
May we could comply also by adding letters: Hairstream, Stairstream, Flairstream, etc. Any others?

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Airstreameri and Geologists 2010 camp

Here's a couple of photos of what the 2010 camp looked like. Can anyone remember the name of the camp that was right behind us, under those distinctive twin tents?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00485.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	151887   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00484.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	151888  

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
The obligatory annual double rainbow photo, this one over Doctor Ed's trailer in 2010. Almost a triple rainbow that time. There's been a double rainbow every year I've been there, almost.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00480 (2).jpg
Views:	156
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	151889  

NevadaGeo
Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyfan View Post
personally I don't like the name "Disfunctionally Disorganized Airstreamers and Geologists." I would not like to give the Burning Man organization the thought that we are somehow disorganized or disfunctional. I also would not want to offend any who truly are dysfunctional. I would prefer to project an image of strong, self reliant, experienced old hands who can help out the newbies. just my personal thoughts. I myself AM a newbie so I really can't speak knowingly to this.

so, to just ramble on (and please forgive me if I'm being pushy - I'm really much more mellow in person) - I like the use of "Airstreameri and Geologists" - its historical, quirky, describes the group accurately. but I think our camp for this year should riff off of the Fertility theme. birth, babies, test tube babies, seeds, planting, growing, something along those lines. I still like "birth of the earth" as it fits in with geology and fertility.
Believe me, we all intend on being dysfunctional sometime during the week. We need to plan on being Dysfunctionally Disorganized because several folks probably won't show up, for work or find some camp more fun, and some will find us on playa. The application will have lots of "possibly" and "probable" and "may happen" clauses, with "heckling" and "rating flip cards" always checked on their provided list of activities.
The above pictures shows the parking lot our camp usually ends up like. Lots of folks don't unhitch, or just separate the tow vehicle enough to walk through. Shared awning shade sometimes. Trailer lengths and sizes and acreage squeezing usually keeps down too much artistic landing forms, and lots of folks gotta come late or leave early. We usually try to keep a center area open for events and Mutant Vehicles and TuTu Tuesday Kazoo Band and the late late comer (they're up for the first scientific talk) and the Wednesday Potluck with Perry's arm waving dust talk, Thursday's activity and leftovers; and a good streetside area for Chollabill and Anne's postcard table. Be sure to bring postage stamps, and there is on playa mail delivery to Airstreameri and Geologists, (our street address, Black Rock City NV 89412.

NevadaGeo
Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Excuuuuussssse me, but I'd like a little credit for the Airstream to the left...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
The obligatory annual double rainbow photo, this one over Doctor Ed's trailer in 2010. Almost a triple rainbow that time. There's been a double rainbow every year I've been there, almost.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
The 2010 Camp

Sorry, I'm missing about 7 names.

Name:	IMG_9824 campers.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	151920
Old 02-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #90
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Copper Falls , Michigan
the pics are beautiful! thank you!

oh my. in no way shape or form did I mean to suggest we "hawk" Airstreams.
no salesman thing for me either. my thinking was more along the lines of "hawking" our lifestyle. and being proud of our pretty shiny things.
huskyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
For Burgins--2010 panorama

Name:	2010 Pan-s.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	151921
Old 02-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #92
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
Zep,
Red pickup w/ 31ft in the fore ground Mark Parker,left of Mark, Jdyalrimple Left of JD, Olga and Demetri(KAMPOTAS) have the cover on their car, Jhelion in the 62 overlander on their right,then Rhonda (little bitty DWR, RG's (RC?) on the right from this perspective, Lamont,(unsui) then Julie, Julie had a 4x4 pickup TV
Hope thats helpful
Eric
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
The red pickup in the near corner is MoyMeux (Marion and Ted), Mark Parker is hidden between his nephews' monster RV and Airstream Gypsy. NevadaAU (Gary) tenting next to me. BartS and Barbi and clan behind CharlyF.

So now I need to get a head count going, and acreage requirements for our totally unqualified statistical deviant guesstimate for the application. Guessing about 14 trailers, 3 tenters (we're inclusive to even ground dwelling geotypes) , about 35 heads, 75 feet, 9 folks with tickets in hand or "staff" infection type ticks. We'll have our hand out for about 26.4 assigninations. Anyone with a closer guess? Using the Rally forum doesnt work very well, gets way confusing with streamers signing on the Rally and not checking in here.

NevadaGeo
Old 02-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #94
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
Right you are Perry, he was hidden from us looking the other way
"Can anyone remember the name of the camp that was right behind us, under those distinctive twin tents?"
I believe that was "The Booby Bar",,appropriate
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Who's coming home to BM this year

Gotta start the list, to see if Placement thinks we're Naughty or Nice, of who's planning on coming home; body count of who's ticketed or needs to ticketget, acreage needed for us to politely grovel for; and maybe everyone's assigned KP duty. Here' who I think so far. We promise to be equally irritating to all, so copy and paste and fix the list at will. who's Will?

NevadaGeo, 1 w/ discounted "staff" tick in prog, 31' with long truck; Chief grump, gives dusty talk and LNT MOOPer.
Zep, 1, ticketed?, Soverign with truck, Rodeo Master
NevadaAU (Gary) 1 ticketget, tenting with truck. Gives EXCELLENT dust talk.
BamCamper, 1 ticketget, Bambi with Cherokee, best Hostess
50KIP, 1, ticketed?, BRC DEA lead
huskyfan, 1, ticketed?, Chief Id Eas &AntiDisorganizer
Coffman404, 1, ticketed,
StreamRaider, 1, ticketed, 27' with truck. Have stethescope will
EBairs, 2, ticketget, 34' with truck. Best TuTus and Barre Ballet class.

NevadaGeo
Old 02-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
NevadaGeo;1112312]Gotta start the list, to see if Placement thinks we're Naughty or Nice, of who's planning on coming home; body count of who's ticketed or needs to ticketget, acreage needed for us to politely grovel for; and maybe everyone's assigned KP duty. Here' who I think so far. We promise to be equally irritating to all, so copy and paste and fix the list at will. who's Will?

NevadaGeo, 1 w/ discounted "staff" tick in prog, 31' with long truck; Chief grump, gives dusty talk and LNT MOOPer.
Zep, 1 plus 1 probable, 2 tickets, Soverign with truck, Rodeo Master
NevadaAU (Gary) 1 ticketget, tenting with truck. Gives EXCELLENT dust talk.
BamCamper, 1 ticketget, Bambi with Cherokee, best Hostess
50KIP, 1, ticketed?, BRC DEA lead
huskyfan, 1, ticketed?, Chief Id Eas &AntiDisorganizer
Coffman404, 1, ticketed,
StreamRaider, 1, ticketed, 27' with truck. Have stethescope will
EBairs, 2, ticketget, 34' with truck. Best TuTus and Barre Ballet class.
RG Coleman?
Old 02-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
Ahoy, Team 'Streameri. Sorry I'm late to the planning party! I've been wandering. Yes, I'm in (got my ticket notification but I don't actually have one in hand yet...were the physical tickets mailed out?) I'll be towing the 16ft DWR with maybe one of my cute womenfriends onboard this year; undisclosed at this time.

Zep, there was a MASH unit in 2010 on the next street over--the 4207th, by the Soviet "do not call 911" encampment; just sayin'. I was planning to wear a little French Foreign Legion number this year but I can be talked into anything (ok, almost).

Archie
RG Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coleman View Post
Ahoy, Team 'Streameri. Sorry I'm late to the planning party! I've been wandering. Yes, I'm in (got my ticket notification but I don't actually have one in hand yet...were the physical tickets mailed out?) I'll be towing the 16ft DWR with maybe one of my cute womenfriends onboard this year; undisclosed at this time.

Zep, there was a MASH unit in 2010 on the next street over--the 4207th, by the Soviet "do not call 911" encampment; just sayin'. I was planning to wear a little French Foreign Legion number this year but I can be talked into anything (ok, almost).

Archie
Yeay Archie! Now we have the media contact!
As far as I've seen, there are no tickets printed yet. So folks, if someone wants to sell you'all a BM ticket, it probably wont' pass the gate. The Soviet camp is there about every year, a block or two closer in than us; I see that command car driving around Carson City occasionally.
oops, just in, a note from ChollaBill.

NevadaGeo
Old 02-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Ok next: What blvd or street area do we want to camp in. How many units, vehicles. Who do we not want to camp next to. Need a jpeg of the camp layout. (Seems this year the form won't save anything till upload the layout file.)

NevadaGeo
Old 02-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
A couple more questions:

Number and Type of Vehicles *This question is required. Save and continue if you need to return at another time.
Burning Man would like to support environmentally conscious transportation options. Please consider this as you plan your transportation to the playa. Please specify the number of cars and large vehicles (RVs, buses) that will be in your Camp so we can determine space needs.

We need a description of the layout of your Camp. Please describe the physical aspects with as much detail as possible. Include a description of features like structures, buildings, vehicles, tents, platforms, and the locations of your power sources. Maximum of 5000 characters

also:
Camp Layout Plan Must be uploaded to complete questionnaire *This question is required. Save and continue if you need to return at another time.
This question is required. Save and continue if you need to return at another time.
Camp layout plan must be uploaded to complete questionnaire. Upload only a single page .jpg camp plan or a single page .pdf camp plan here. File size no greater than 1 MB. Note: filenames must have extensions .jpg or .pdf and contain no blank spaces for successful uploading.
If you are using a mobile device, this file upload functionality may not work as expected. Please save your progress on the next page and continue this section of the form on a computer. If you do not upload your final layout plan, your application may not be processed. This is a required question, but may not function as such on a mobile device.
Burning Man Department Layout Plan Criteria & Sample
Theme Camp and Village Layout Plan Criteria & Sample

NevadaGeo