Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2020, 08:20 AM   #1
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Alumaslider III 2020

Alumaslider III 2020 Slide Out Society Get Together

When: September 10-13, 2020

Where: Hickory Hollow Campground, 176 Big Hickory Rd. Rockwood PA 15557

Alumasliders and Airstreamers,

We’ve enjoyed Stone Mt. S.P. in N.C. for two years but it’s time for a change.

This camp is in the Laurel Highlands of PA, just south of Somerset and south east of Pittsburgh at Hickory Hollow Campground. Those of you that ski might have heard of nearby Seven Springs but we’re too early for skiing this trip.

Aside from our get together there are several things happening the weekend after Labor Day in the area and that’s part of the reason for selecting this area.

Mountain Craft Days, Somerset Historical Center. September 11-13, 2020. https://www.somersethistoricalcenter...raft-days.html
Founded in 1970 this festival celebrates and has working displays of many unique old-time crafts but I think better to be thought of as skills. We’ve seen: Making oak shake shingles, charcoal, blacksmithing, sugar camp, flax scutching, weaving, flint knapping, pit sawing, reenactors, splitting logs into split rail fences, food, and so many more artistic and life skills. In the Historical Center they have had quilt making and many ladies practicing bobbin lace making. Try to follow that one.

Farmers and Threshers Jubilee, New Centerville RVFD. September 9-13, 2020. http://www.ncrvfc.com/jubilee.html
OK guys, like to watch steam engines on parade, a running 800 HP 55 ton Chicago Pneumatic diesel stationary engine, horse pulls, more antique farm equipment and oh yeah food and lots more. Benefits the New Centerville Rural Volunteer Fire Dept.

And saving the IMHO the must visit for last the Flight 93 Memorial in nearby Shanksville. Linda and I visited in 2007 and the memorial was a chain link memory fence, benches and a docent to host and a lone USA Flag off in the field. https://www.nps.gov/flni/index.htm

Reservations, contact Hickory Hollow Campground at 814-926-4636 info@hickoryhollowcampground.com or visit https://hickoryhollowcampground.com/

Hickory Hollow is holding a group of sites for our reservations until June but I suggest checking your calendar and reserving ASAP and consider adding a few extra days, come early or stay later and enjoy the Laurel Highlands. Linda and I have been to Mountain Craft Days and Farmers and Threshers several times while we lived in OH and our last trip was 2007. Mention Alumaslider with your reservation please.

We’ll make the camp casual plans on the fly, maybe group meals etc. No rally fee, share as you like and enjoy.

Gary n Linda
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #2
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
AlumaSlider III, 10-13 Sep 2020

Wendy & I plan on attending...can't wait to see Sliders and a new location.

This will be a great time!

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #3
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O

Reservations are on the books now. Wow...that was easy to coin a phrase. Best part is you don't pay until you check-in.

Gary asked me to share some photo's from a previous visit during the Mountain Craft Fair Days.

Folks these are pics from our visit to Mountain Craft Days in 2007. The gentleman in the bib overalls made split rail fencing. At the time he was training others how to do it. They would bring in logs and he'd eyeball the log, roll it like this or that and a carefully placed ax hit and a few wedges it splits lengthwise and then split into final sizes and that was it. Split rail fencing. The other pic is a trail scene at a booth area with a bit of haze from a cook fire.

Tom - S/OS #025
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Split Rail Fence.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	359096   Click image for larger version

Name:	CastIron Cooking.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	463.2 KB
ID:	359097  

- Live Free or Die -
Old 02-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #4
WayneBrv

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Prince George with farm (Loves Mill) in Lunenburg County , Virginia
Amy and I are Planning to Come

Amy and I arrive on the 6th and will stay till the 13th. Early in the week, we hope to get our sight seeing done.

Planning on a different tow vehicle by then. Graduating backward from the Dodge Diesel 4x4 Dually with flatbed, to a Chevy Cummins. The dually has to go.

Took my old farm truck, a 1993 K2500 Single rear wheel, that I built, and installed a 12 valve in 2004, with a NV4500 and drove it till the paint came off and I was embarrassed to take it to work.

New paint job, goodbye pickup bed, hello CM SK SRW flatbed. 12 Valve has 400K and works great still. Upgrading to water cooled intercooler, Holset fan, Ranch-hand bumper and side steps. Have newer leather seats, new stereo, with BU Cams and more and auxiliary tank.

Fell out of love with dually, 6 speeds and digital troubleshooting. Been a mechanic and that 2004 Dodge 3d Gen, and the best scanner O'Reillys sold told me little. Ever.

Had a young fella walk up to my Chevy Cummins before I put it in the paint shop and he said: "Yeah, old school, they don't make them like this anymore..." I bit my tongue and thought. Yeah, they never did.

Wayne
waynebrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:59 PM   #5
WayneBrv

RV sites at Camp Ground

I have booked 6-13 and ALREADY paid. Was given no specific sites. Do we have certain sites allocated, so that I may call and get one of them now. Early.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Wayne,

Thanks for signing up.

I've had several conversations and e-mails with Hickory Hollow Campgrounds, they have been very helpful.

Hickory Hollow is holding a group of sites for Alumaslider III. Did you mention at reservation that you were with Alumaslider III?

A Cummins 12V in a Chevy, yeah it was a factory option kid. Look it up. The 12V makes special noise, I owned a 1997 Ram 3500 NV4500. The famous P Pump.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 02-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Folks

Lori at Hickory Hollow has been my contact.

Gary
Old 02-11-2020, 06:00 AM   #8
WayneBrv

Not a Dodge Engine

In 2003, when I was shopping for 5.9L Cummins, there were no Dodge Diesel engines available. So I have a 5.9L P-Pump from a International Rollback truck that took a mountainside plunge in the Rockies near Reno or Carson City, so the story goes. It is governed to 2500 RPM and has so much low end torque. I have a throttle plate that boost it to about 300 HP. It actually pulls more than my Generation III. Boost limiter is set to 36PSI.
Totally problem free engine. I adjust the valves every 70K, and from there only service filters and fluids.
With the 5 speed, starting in 2d, I am in OD near twice as fast as the 6sp Gen III. Plus cleaner exhaust.
I went backwards to better. And the Chevy has one awesome ride empty and towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Wayne,

"...A Cummins 12V in a Chevy, yeah it was a factory option kid. Look it up. ..., I owned a 1997 Ram 3500 NV4500. The famous P Pump." Gary
Old 02-11-2020, 06:06 AM   #9
WayneBrv

I will call Lori

Okay, I will get one of the sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Folks

Lori at Hickory Hollow has been my contact.

Gary
Old 02-12-2020, 05:19 AM   #10
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O

Here's a satellite image of the sites at Hickory Hollow for AlumaSlider III. I overlayed site numbers on the image for reference.

Top of the map is north. The sites are oriented with "camping side" to the south.

Daylight is getting longer...spring is getting closer!

Tom - S/OS #025
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HickoryHollowSite Map.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	360987  
- Live Free or Die -
Old 02-12-2020, 05:41 AM   #11
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Thanks Tom.

Not all of those sites are the "on hold" sites that the camp has for us. Lori put a group of them together sites that are on hold: 83-86, 89-91, 95-102. And remember to say you're with Alumaslider so you are in the area.

Gary
Old 02-15-2020, 10:43 AM   #12
WayneBrv

With the Group

I called Lori and left a message to be with the group. Lori left a message that I am with the group. I will follow up.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #13
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Lori has been very helpful.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:37 AM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Video preview of events

Folks,

I wanted to share some pics we took of our last visit in 2007 to Somerset and the events that happen the Alumaslider III is scheduled and of course the Flt 93 Memorial is open year round.

YouTube video of the slide show. See you there.

https://youtu.be/aTtfKAbv9mg

Gary
Old 03-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Burleson , Texas
The Rushing's are coming

We have book spot #83 for Sep 7-13. Look forward to seeing everyone.
Ande & Lynn
S/OS #096
AndeLynn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:37 AM   #16
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
AlumaSlider III 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndeLynn01 View Post
We have book spot #83 for Sep 7-13. Look forward to seeing everyone.
Ande & Lynn
It'll be great to see you guys! We can't wait for a little bit of summer to get here.

Tom & Wendy S/OS #025
- Live Free or Die -
Old 07-13-2020, 03:31 PM   #17
WayneBrv

IS the Aluma Slider still a GO?

Or is it a victim to COVID-19?
Old 07-13-2020, 07:10 PM   #18
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
AlumaSlider III

Hi Wayne & Amy,

We're planning on attending.

The only way that would change for us would be if the State of Pennsylvania directed a closure of the campgrounds.

We've been successful social distancing and following a preventive protocol to keep ourselves and those we enjoy time with safe.

Only about 56 days or so now...but who's counting.

Tom & Wendy - S/OS #025
- Live Free or Die -
Old 07-15-2020, 05:51 AM   #19
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Alumaslider III 2020 UPDATE

Folks,

I contacted Hickory Hollow for the current status of the campground and guidelines from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Hickory Hollow provided the following links.

https://hickoryhollowcampground.com/ see Covid 19 update.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019.../visitors.html
https://www.pacamping.com/covid-19-update-april-27-2020

Copied from the PACAMPING link:

"Travel Alert: Camping families traveling from Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas & Utah.

All campers traveling from the above mentioned states arriving at Pennsylvania Campgrounds – including Pennsylvania residents returning home and traveling to a campground are recommended to self-quarantine for 14 days and campers will need to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival to a campground after travel from one of the above mentioned states.

Quarantine is used to keep someone who might have been exposed to COVID-19 away from others. Quarantine helps prevent spread of disease that can occur before a person knows they are sick or if they are infected with the virus without feeling symptoms. Campers that are quarantined should stay at their camp site, separate themselves from others and monitor their health. Campers from the above mentioned states are required to have contactless check in at the campground. Additionally quarantined campers must remain on their camp site except to go out for life-sustaining reasons. When leaving campsite for life-sustaining reasons quarantined campers must wear mask and practice social distancing . Quarantined campers are not permitted at any campground activity or the use of any campground facilities such as pool, dog parks or restrooms during the quarantine time."

From Hickory Hollow Campgrounds:

"We don't currently have any particular restrictions other then the request for all campers to socially distance, avoid gatherings, wash hands frequently and wear masks as appropriate. We've continued our frequent cleaning and sanitizing schedule.
Our Pa Camping trade group the Pennsylvania Campground Owners Assn also has additional information @ https://www.pacamping.com/covid-19-update-april-27-2020
You're correct in that the Mountain Craft Days Festival has cancelled for 2020 and the Farmer's and Threshermen's Jubilee just announced the cancellation of their event for this year as well.
It has certainly been and continues to be a very challenging and fluid situation for everyone and we're committed to the safety and well-being of our campers, our staff and our community.
We'll do our best to make sure that any changes in our guidance are communicated via our website and social channels so stay tuned."

The Flight 93 Memorial is open with restrictions as of today see https://www.nps.gov/flni/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

We will continue to monitor for further information updates. Hickory Hollow Campground has been easy to communicate with via email or phone. I appreciate their prompt responses.

Regards,

Gary n Linda
Old 08-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #20
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Our plans are changed.

Folks,

What a year it's been.

Due to the current situation and guidelines as I posted above, Linda and I will not be attending Alumaslider III. South Carolina per the guidelines is a arrive in PA and isolate for two weeks before going out and being a tourist.

I was really looking forward to seeing slider buddies again and visiting this area in the fall and the festivals but we are not going to go.

We'll consider trying this again for next fall, same time frame.

The folks at Hickory Hollow have been very helpful in holding sites for our small rally, no fees just our request. They have followed up with me several times and I appreciate their cooperation and communication.

Best wishes and be safe.

Gary N Linda