Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2021, 11:12 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Arrow Airstreams and Mountain Bikes in the Ozarks - NWA North West Arkansas

My wife and I enjoy mountain biking and we often take our Airstream with us for short weekend trips to NWA. I know there are a few MTB riders around here so I thought I would start a post.

The Purpose of this post is to make it a little easier for mountain bikers to meet up in the North West Arkansas area. If you want to potentially share a campground with some other Airstreams, post up the dates and campground that you plan to stay at. If anyone has any recommendations for camping areas, trails or places to eat please chime in.

If you are not familiar with the area here is a primer, filmed 5 years ago. They have been building trails like crazy since this video was shot.

One area we frequent is Lake Leatherwood in Eureka Springs. There is nothing fancy about this city park/campground but it has a few cheap full hookup sites up top and several electric only sites down below. There is a small lake with kayaks for rent and a pretty cool kids playground. Longer rigs may want to stay at the KOA up the road or maybe at Beaver lake. This is the an incredible downhill park. This footage shows a lot of the more advanced trails, but this is definitely an intermediate park any way you slice it. .

The closest campground to Bentonville is Bella Vista RV Park. I have never stayed here.
https://bellavistapoa.com/thingstodo...ation/rv-park/

If you want to stay closer to the Buffalo river there is a new campground near the downhill trail in Ponca.
https://www.buffaloriver.com/pages/b...rv-campground/

There are 5 EPIC rides in Arkansas, with the upper Buffalo Headwaters being the closest to the area.
https://www.imba.com/ride/where-to-ride/imba-epics

OZ Trails
https://www.oztrailsnwa.com/

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; background: transparent }a:link { color: #000080; so-language: zxx; text-decoration: underline }
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
I will start.

Will be at Lake Leatherwood March 17 and May 22 if anyone wants to join.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
This is site 31 at Lake Leatherwood. It is one of the 4 full hookup sites. 23-25ft would be about all the trailer I would want to put in this spot. There are mountain biking trails all around this park.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:53 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Great thread! Bentonville is indeed an awesome place to visit and ride. The ever evolving trails are pretty incredible and very accessible. I've stayed at Bella Vista and feel it is a great basecamp to explore the area. there are trails that you can ride to right from the campground. For the non-mountain biker, most of the trail networks are connected by paved greenways for walking or road/cruiser biking. The arts scene is also pretty spectacular. The Crystal Bridges museum blew me away. food in town is really good with a modern upscale (hipster?) feel without being expensive. I'd be down for a meetup at some point in the future.
Labeda14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeda14 View Post
Great thread! Bentonville is indeed an awesome place to visit and ride. The ever evolving trails are pretty incredible and very accessible. I've stayed at Bella Vista and feel it is a great basecamp to explore the area. there are trails that you can ride to right from the campground. For the non-mountain biker, most of the trail networks are connected by paved greenways for walking or road/cruiser biking. The arts scene is also pretty spectacular. The Crystal Bridges museum blew me away. food in town is really good with a modern upscale (hipster?) feel without being expensive. I'd be down for a meetup at some point in the future.
Yep, slaughter pin and the crystal bridges is a great area for the whole family to spend time on the bikes. The MTB trails are in sight of the paved trail almost the whole time. It also makes it easier to get back to the top. If you are ever back in the area let us know.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great thread you have linked in your signature . . . thanks!

Happy "Trails" [in the new sense . . .].

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
A new trail system has opened up a bit further south. There is a campground but the road limits trailers to 24ft.

Mt. Nebo State Park

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-05-20_16-53.png
Views:	60
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	395846  
Old 06-28-2021, 08:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
This is the Buffalo River Outdoor Center in Ponca AR. The longest downhill trail in the state is an easy 1 mile bike ride up the road.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:04 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter417 View Post
This is the Buffalo River Outdoor Center in Ponca AR. The longest downhill trail in the state is an easy 1 mile bike ride up the road.

Thanks for starting this. I hope to receive my Caravel 20FB by end of September, and have looked closely at Bella Vista area for one of my first shakedown trips. I spent a few days mountain biking that area two years ago and was blown away!
aarstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 01:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarstream View Post
Thanks for starting this. I hope to receive my Caravel 20FB by end of September, and have looked closely at Bella Vista area for one of my first shakedown trips. I spent a few days mountain biking that area two years ago and was blown away!
I have ridden just a bit of bella vista. It is a nice town. There is a nice RV Parking lot.

Think there will probably be a road bike ride on the greenway trail in 2022 if anyone is interested.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I am now mainly a road/Greenway rider now. I gave up MTB this year based on advise from my neurologist. (Too many concussions) needless to say I enjoy it very much but not very good at it after 10 years :-) That said, I do enjoy the trails near Blowing Springs and the Back 40 in Bella Vista. More of a trail ride than a technical MTB ride.
There are lots of friendly riders from all over the US on the trails year round. Plan ahead and make reservations for Blowing Springs camping/parking, especially for weekends.
If you have an Interstate or other type of van camper or tent camping, Coler Creek has a new camp area. It is beautiful and peacefull! Here is a link https://www.peelcompton.org/coler-mo...serve/camping/
Have fun and keep the rubber side down.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
I am now mainly a road/Greenway rider now. I gave up MTB this year based on advise from my neurologist. (Too many concussions) needless to say I enjoy it very much but not very good at it after 10 years :-) That said, I do enjoy the trails near Blowing Springs and the Back 40 in Bella Vista. More of a trail ride than a technical MTB ride.
There are lots of friendly riders from all over the US on the trails year round. Plan ahead and make reservations for Blowing Springs camping/parking, especially for weekends.
If you have an Interstate or other type of van camper or tent camping, Coler Creek has a new camp area. It is beautiful and peacefull! Here is a link https://www.peelcompton.org/coler-mo...serve/camping/
Have fun and keep the rubber side down.
Mike have you been to any of the AR club events? Have we met?

We love to rice smooth trails too. Would you be interested in Joining us up at the Katy trail?
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f28...ml#post2518511

I plan to start a thread to see if we can get any interest drummed up for a ride on the AR Razorback Greenway too. That will have to be next week. Right now I am going camping.

I am tempted to see if I can squeeze my little Caravel onto a camper van spot at coler. I think I can.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter417 View Post
Mike have you been to any of the AR club events? Have we met?

We love to rice smooth trails too. Would you be interested in Joining us up at the Katy trail?
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f28...ml#post2518511

I plan to start a thread to see if we can get any interest drummed up for a ride on the AR Razorback Greenway too. That will have to be next week. Right now I am going camping.

I am tempted to see if I can squeeze my little Caravel onto a camper van spot at coler. I think I can.
Hi Peter.
I do not think we have met or attended any of the AR Club events. I would like to attend the one in Little Rock next spring if they do the Bike Buddy weekend again.
I am also up for the Katy Trail ride too. This year is already so full of travel plans, I'm not sure I can fit another but there is always a chance something could work out
Have a great trip!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote