Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2021, 02:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
2022 Missouri Katy Trail Bicycles and Airstreams PLANNING

Hopefully I have quoted everybody who showed interest in this bike ride. I am new so hopefully this is not stepping on any toes.

https://bikekatytrail.com/katy-trail-map.aspx

We need to pick a date for this. Can someone throw some potential dates out? My wife and I will make pretty much any date work.

I vote that we do this at Beyond the Trail RV park, unless someone has experience at another one. It does look like we have some great options to choose from though.

Beyond the Trail RV Park

2880 S Hwy 94
Defiance, MO 63341
636-484-0059
https://www.beyondthetrailrvpark.com/rentals
Beyond the Trail RV Park offers many sought after amenities to help make your stay with us more enjoyable. We have regular and pull through RV sites with electricity, water and sewer, as well as tent camping options. Our campground is well lit and offers pet friendly walking areas, trash facilities and bathrooms/showers.

Hermann City Park

118 W. 13th St.
Hermann, MO
573-486-5400
http://hermannmo.com/campground/
The city park campground has 43 sites with full hookups (water, electric and sewer) and 8 sites with electric hookups. Tent camping also is available on a first come first serve basis.

Cooper’s Landing

11505 Smith Hatchery Rd
Columbia, MO
573-657-1299
Tent and RV Camping along the trail. Live music, food, and fun!

Farrington City Park

116 S County Line Rd
Windsor, MO 65360
https://www.farringtonpark.org/
In late 1903, the Rock Island railroad was building grade and laying tracks headed for Windsor from the east side of the state and on to Kansas City. By late March of 1904, it was reported that the work on the big reservoir east of Windsor would be completed in a few days. Within a month’s time, Ed Willoughby had met with General Superintendent W. E. Morse of the Rock Island railroad and he consented to allow the town citizens to take charge of the grounds and reservoir for the purpose of converting them into a first-class pleasure resort. The railroad only needed use of the lake to supply water for their stream locomotives. Windsor became the proud owner of its City Park and Lake on July 25, 1954. On this date, J.W. Barriger, Vice President of the Rock Island Lines, officially turned the park over to the city in a ceremony held at the park. The park was officially named "Farrington Park", honoring J. D. Farrington, the Rock Island President.
Fast forward to today. Farrington Park, often referred to as the "Crown Jewel of Windsor", is used for many of the City’s festivities, including the Fourth of July celebration, a lighted Christmas display, family reunions, weddings, and many other occasions. The Katy Trail is a short distance from the park and the new Rock Island Spur of the Katy Trail runs adjacent to the park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
The Katy Trail started for me with biking and camping along the way. It offers a beautiful way to see some amazing scenery and fun little towns to stop at. We made 3 overnight stops (with tents) on the way out and 2 on the way back to Clinton.
Then we heard of the challenge to ride it all in one day starting at sun up and finishing before sundown. Of course June gives the best chance of finishing before sunset.
Taking more days, you get to enjoy the towns and scenery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieshoes View Post
Great thread! Taking bikes with us on AS trips adds so much opportunity for exploring during our trips. We are road bikers, not mountain bikers, so paved or gravel trails such as rails to trails routes are perfect for us. For rails to trails info, look at railstotrails.org, Rails to Trails Conservancy. We have been members pretty much since its inception in 1986. Many wonderful trails around the country. E-bike riders (we have both e-bikes and regular bikes) should note Florida statutes ban e-bikes with pedal assist turned on on all state trails, but getting a straight answer as to whether that applies to non-throttle e-bikes (Class I and Class III) is confusing. If you read the statutes, you will easily understand why there is so much confusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Whyvon2509, thanks for the suggestion! Peter, I think the Katy Trail Rally idea would be a lot of fun. Combine our two favorite activities (Airstream + Biking) and meet other like minded ‘Streamers. Brilliant! The hard part may be finding reservations this year but might work out. If not, next spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
We would certainly be in on this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
This sounds like a great time to me.
This year is already full for me but next year I'm sure will work.
Maybe a campground somewhere in the middle and do some out & backs from there.
Quote:
You’re very welcome. Since the trail (KATY) runs almost The whole width of the state of Missouri, there may be other CGs along the way that would work. I rode it end to end several years ago, and know that the area I mentioned in St Charles County, has a high concentration of restaurants and wineries so I thought it might provide more activities outside of just biking. Along with the historical aspect of L&C and Daniel Boone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trsvax View Post
following
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We've done the local roads along the Katy and really enjoyed the area. Our stop in Hermann and McKittrick was a wonderful afternoon.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Is any one opposed to this being a July event?
Old 07-29-2021, 05:53 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Long Beach , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter417 View Post
Is any one opposed to this being a July event?
Peter, This is great information. thanks for doing the research on campgrounds. I assume you mean July 2022? I just need to get it on my calendar as I'm working on West road trip (from northern Indiana) for 2022, so would work this into my plans.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:14 AM   #5
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
July usually works for us. I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t have a conflict, but you never know.
I will comment a bit on the CGs. I have a good friend in a 27GT that’s in Beyond the Trail RV Park right now. I’ve been by to visit a few times, as I bike by. It is in a great location, with fairly short rides to some nice locations for food and history. However, it’s not my favorite type of CG. It’s not bad, it’s just a little rough. Just dirt and gravel right now. No trees, or shelters. It does have nice facilities as far as rest rooms etc., and the sites have a little room between them, but not a lot. Hopefully in another year they’ll get it finished up. I think we will at least need an electric hookup for Missouri in July. AC may be required.
Another option might be a Harvest Host winery, but it would need to be able to handle a group, and have electrical hookups. Not likely..
Just my $.02.
Thanks for setting up this thread Peter.

Jeff

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyvon2509 View Post
Peter, This is great information. thanks for doing the research on campgrounds. I assume you mean July 2022? I just need to get it on my calendar as I'm working on West road trip (from northern Indiana) for 2022, so would work this into my plans.
Yes this is a project for next year. 2022
Old 07-30-2021, 11:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Quote:
July usually works for us. I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t have a conflict, but you never know.
I will comment a bit on the CGs. I have a good friend in a 27GT that’s in Beyond the Trail RV Park right now. I’ve been by to visit a few times, as I bike by. It is in a great location, with fairly short rides to some nice locations for food and history. However, it’s not my favorite type of CG. It’s not bad, it’s just a little rough. Just dirt and gravel right now. No trees, or shelters. It does have nice facilities as far as rest rooms etc., and the sites have a little room between them, but not a lot. Hopefully in another year they’ll get it finished up. I think we will at least need an electric hookup for Missouri in July. AC may be required.
Another option might be a Harvest Host winery, but it would need to be able to handle a group, and have electrical hookups. Not likely..
Just my $.02.
Thanks for setting up this thread Peter.

Jeff
If we do this in July I might vote for some shade trees because we have dogs. Maybe we should consider: Farrington City Park 8 minutes in for the campsites Edit: it looks like there are only 6 sites.

Alternatively we could push this back to the first or second weekend in September. All 3 MO clubs have an event in September.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:19 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
springfield , Missouri
As someone from Missouri, we used to regularly book a B&B in Augusta, MO and do two day bike rides of about 20 miles west from Augusta for 40 miles and 15 miles east towards St. Charles. Lovely area. We have done the same based out of Rocheport further to the west. I prefer the Augusta section the most, but both have some excellent wineries and restaurants.

That said, we did a Rocheport weekend in July one year and it was hot as hades. I think September on the Katy Trail to be sublime. Probably the first week or two of October is good too. Usually, this is the nicest time of the year here. Although it can always rain.

I don't have an airstream yet, but am planning on a 23footer twin axel prior to retirement in the next couple of years.

jc
xpcdoojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 01:07 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
Peter, thanks for so much good info. We're planning a few 20-30mi out and back rides along the Katy/Rock Island in mid Sept '21 after a visit to Buffalo Nat'l River (and on on our way to Utah/NM). No schedule, no rush
Any guidance from anyone is welcome!
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:17 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Biking and camping

Wife and I may be interested. Keep us in the loop. We are in Oklahoma.

Larry & Kathy
Americal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 03:20 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
springfield , Missouri
what is the status of this bike ride? We don't have our airstream yet, but might want to join you all, and stay somewhere in the are
xpcdoojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 04:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Life happened and I let it drop off my list. Our fall schedule is still pretty light at this point.

xpcdoojk When do you expect to get your AS? Are you in the Greater Ozark club?
Old 03-30-2022, 04:43 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Ballwin , Missouri
Interested

I’ll be riding the length of the trail this spring/summer.
So I’d like to follow this thread.
Following.
Thanks!
Marcos6470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 05:47 AM   #14
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Sometimes July can be cooler than September in Missouri. I’m pretty sure we could do either July or September. I’m thinking “ Beyond the Trail” or “ Herman City Park” would work fine. I didn’t check to see if Herman City Park had electric hookups. We are talking two or three nights, right? We can get by water wise for three days, but if it turns out to be really hot we need electric for AC. The KATY trail is mostly shaded, and on a moving bike, it’s generally cool enough to ride comfortably. I’m not sure about the Herman Park in terms of availability, but Beyond the Trail should have enough open spots. It’s a pretty big CG with full hookups.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote