Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
2011 AIR National Rally - Airstreams in the Wilds!

Note: this post was updated June 24th with current registration info

Today, we are six months away from what promises to be another memorable Airstream rally. In cooperation with AIRForums, we invite all Airstream owners and enthusiasts to join together to celebrate our common love of the Airstream way of life.

In addition to the unparalleled destination, we promise to deliver great camaraderie, fellowship, and fun. A family-friendly environment will be maintained. A calendar of optional activities will be available from which attendees can choose.

So what exactly makes this an “AIRForums National Rally”? Good question! Each year AIRForums will select a rally to call the National Rally partnering with the event organizers by helping market and develop the rally into the premiere event of the year. Together with their support, “Airstreams in the Wilds” will be a rally that will celebrate and replicate the community that exists on the forums. It will be our goal to represent the fellowship, diversity, and friendship that is displayed on the forums every day. AIRForums will be nearing its tenth birthday and I suspect a little birthday cake may be in order!

Now on to the details…..

This event is a special celebration of adventure that is a core value of Airstreaming. Our group will camp in a primitive area with limited services surrounded by a very special piece of nature.

What is the Wilds!?

The Wilds is one of the largest and most innovative wildlife conservation centers in the world. Located on nearly 10,000 acres in southeast Ohio, it is home to rare and endangered species from around the world living in natural, open-range habitat, as well as home to hundreds of indigenous species. In addition to innovative, in-depth science and education programs, the Wilds offers guided experiences to the public. We last visited in 2009. Some changes have been recommended and are being made. One change we have made was to make the event longer. We are extending the dates, but be aware that the main activities will take place Friday through Sunday. Please feel free to join us and depart when you must.

Dates: Aug. 31, 2011 (Wednesday) through Sept. 5, 2011 (Monday).
Please note that this is Labor Day Weekend.
Nearest City: Cumberland, Ohio

The Itinerary

Wednesday
Noon – Arrival open, camp site preparation
Hiking, mountain biking, and photography opportunities prior to dinner
Dinner & campfire- We will have a community dinner & desserts as you arrive.

Thursday
Morning – Please note that we will be using a “community kitchen”. This will include a large propane grill, water supply, and some kind of refrigeration unit. I suspect we will have a few volunteers willing to cook up an Airstreamer’s breakfast for all. Within an easy drive of the Wilds are many great natural and historical sites. A planned excursion aboard a private dinner cruise of the Lorena Sternwheeler in Zanesville is going to be planned for the evening.

Friday
An optional “Day of Service” to the Wilds is planned. Much like we did in 2009, we will participate in a service project to improve the Wilds facility. It is hoped that with a large attendance, a larger project can be taken on.
Others may choose to go visit the Longaberger factory and store. Tours and basket making activities are available.
A potluck dinner and campfire will finish the evening.

Saturday
This will be the main day to enjoy a tour of the Wilds. You may choose from various options and price levels. In 2009, many Airstreamers elected to make the Sunset Safari dinner the highlight of the rally. The opportunities offered on this special tour as well as the buffet dinner make this very worthwhile. Where else do you get to pet a rhino?

Sunday
Following breakfast, we will make some time to have an open house party. Those that wish may open up their trailer for viewing and maybe share a snack, drink, or surprise for the kids.
Sunday’s dinner will be a special “AIRForums” dinner. We are planning something fun with some great souvenirs!

Monday

Departure day.

Services
The Wilds does not ordinarily offer camping and so we consider the opportunity to do so very special. At this time, we do not expect electrical service or pressurized water to be available.
Please know that you will be camping within the 10,000 acres managed by the Wilds. You will quickly learn that this is not your normal campground!
Please do not let this worry you. Our trailers are designed to work in this environment! Even if you have never experienced this type of camping before, we will have volunteers ready to assist you.
Nice portable restrooms and potable water will be available. In 2009, we enjoyed listening to coyotes howl and deer knock against our trailers at night. Generators will be permitted for those in need. I encourage the sharing of power if possible and only using generators as needed to charge batteries or for medical reasons.

Cost

This is a “not-for-profit” rally! The budget for this event is designed to cover the expenses incurred. Therefore, the price is attractive.
Rally fee: $18 (per person)
Parking fee: $15 (per night)
Service Project (optional) $5
Sunset Safari and Dinner buffet (optional) $65
note - reservation for the sunset safari must be made by August 18th

Finally, a couple of “rules”:
  • The event is intended for Airstream manufactured products. A maximum of 5% non-airstream campers will be permitted to register.
  • As we are special guests of the Wilds, all of their rules and restrictions will be honored.
  • It is a standing rule of the Wilds to not introduce any domestic animals in their facility. This rule MAY change due to the distance between our campsite and the controlled animal population. I will post the determination as soon as it is made.
  • We will be permitting limited vending opportunities and we are looking for some sponsorships. Please contact us if you have an interest in these.

In closing, it is with great concern that I have learned that the Wilds! has lost a significant amount of government funding. This loss is causing a reduction in program and other areas. I am in hopes that our community will use our time at the Wilds! to learn about how important their existence is. Please expect to see an opportunity to donate to the Wilds at our rally.

I hope you consider joining us on this adventure!

Let us know you're coming!

1. RSVP on the AIR calendar: Airstream Forums - Airstreams in the Wilds!
2. Register now! Tours sell out fast and are first come/first served. Please download the attached form. We must receive this form.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AirstreamsintheWilds2011final.pdf (295.7 KB, 113 views)
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Exactly where is this? My sister lives near Woodsfield and Beallsville. That really is the wilderness. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
directions

The Wilds is located in the Cumberland, OH mailing address. It is close to Zanesville. South of Columbus. Here are directions for travel to there.
The Wilds | Visit Us | Directions

If you google search The Wilds+Cumberland, OH you will get lots of information and great things to read about it.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Times like this (and Alumapalooza) I wish I still lived in Ohio instead all the way over in Seattle
Old 03-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Here is a link to a Google map of the Wilds! :

The Wilds, County Road 216, Cumberland, OH - Google Maps

www.campnova.com

Old 03-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
So then this is the OFFICIAL AIRforums rally for 2011?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Airstreams in the Wilds! is an "official" AIRforums National Rally that is being organized in cooperation with the owner of AIRforums and his designate staff.

This partnership will enable us to reach a larger audience, which in turn will grow the event and allow for a greater community spirit.

I hope that many forum members will take advantage of this opportunity to come meet the faces behind the names!

This is the first AIRforums National Rally. It is my intention to set a high benchmark in which the future national rallies can aim for.

www.campnova.com

Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
This is the first Official AIRForums National Rally. We will be promoting this heavily on AIR and our sister Airstream sites.

The plan is partner each year with an ongoing rally and designate that the National for the year. We will change regions in hopes of holding a National near all our members every few years. The plan is to showcase many of the wonderful and affordable rallies that members are throwing each year. We hope this will help spread the word about these events and that they will continue for years after the National has come and gone.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
A call for Volunteers

Greetings,

Under a previous Wilds thread, a few folks volunteered to help out on some tasks. I intend on going back through those, but in the mean time, I'd like to ask again!

I could use help in development of:

- Kids program
- Tours
- Sponsorship program
- Raffle / silent Auction / Wilds! benefit program
- Advertisement
- general help including "day of" volunteers!

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

www.campnova.com

Old 03-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
This rally sounds VERY interesting! We will definitely look closely at this and see if we can make this work. If we do attend, we will try to help out in some way.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Clovis , California
This sounds like an incredible rally! I can't believe I hadn't heard of the Wilds as I've traveled X-country many times. I am anxious to hear if dogs will be allowed as I travel with a standard poodle who is somewhat shy (a rescue) and very quiet.
Can I design a poster to place in an AS place in Los Banos, CA?
Myrna
TAC: CA-3
LuvRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
We are currently working on a memorable logo and poster, but are still a little ways away.

In the mean time, please feel free to create your own & share! It would be nice to see what you come up with.

I'm hoping to have an answer very soon on pet policy. I have explained to the staff that we have folks traveling from great distances and that full-time with their pets. Please be aware that it is not my decision to make, but I will follow whatever restriction is placed upon us. Do know that an alternative traditional campground is located not too far away if more amenities are desired.

www.campnova.com

Old 03-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I'm going to follow this thread with interest.
Sounds like a great idea. I know those who went to the last one really enjoyed it.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Clovis , California
Dan, I understand that the pet policy decision isn't yours and it's important for the animals there what ever decision is made. What is the closest town and does anyone know of a very good kennel near by if needed?
Myrna:CA
LuvRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Rhinestone Doggy Dog, Cat and Pet Boarding

OK, fair warning, I've never heard of the place! But... way cool sounding place!

Looks to be about a 1/2 hour from the wilds.

I'm going to call and see if we can swing a discount for attendees.

www.campnova.com

Old 03-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Way too far east for me!

Lynn
Old 03-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Today I received one answer to my list of questions to the wilds staff.

I regret that at this time the "no pets" rule will continue to be in place. I do understand the implication of this rule, but I must follow it. I apologize to all effected.

I did talk to the kennel listed a couple of posts above. In short, he is willing to offer his services. He does tend to base his business on repeat customers and is actually sold out through most of the summer. He currently does have opening during our event.

I'll post more developments as I learn of them.

www.campnova.com

Old 03-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #18
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
was looking forward to rally

it would have been a great place...but no pets, my dogs, no me......

see ya down the road
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
no pets

This no pet rule is for the pets' safety (think "bait"). We will be camped in the middle of a real life nature preserve. A "wild" area. Dan says there are other camp grounds nearby if you would like to come and need to have further amenities. We appreciate you NOT bringing any bait! LOL!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #20
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
bait

and suppose you think that these wild creatures don't consider stupid people as bait....try walking around outside of the common area and see if you don't become bait
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airforums, ohio, rally