Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2005, 02:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
2005 Moraine View Midwest Rally Recap

We just got home, safe and sound;..... we had a WUNNERFUL time.. I'll be posting pics soon!

I am so sorry we missed last year's rally due to a trailer malfunction, but all's well, NOW!
Old 06-19-2005, 07:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Home after a great five day mini vacation...weather and company couldn't have been better. Sorry to those I didn't make it by to say good-bye.
Joe...Glad you decided to happen upon us. Laura, Jessi, Jake & I enjoyed meeting you and hearing your experiences with your MH.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
After Thought

Glad to hear that you all had a really nice time. Wish we could have been there; maybe next year. Looking forward to all of the pictures!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Hey Y'all

I had a great time watchin' Animal House on Flamingo Kid's Airstream... Even though I couldn't stay, Matt and I had a great time, can't wait to see you all again,

Hope all went well with you,

Ron
Old 06-20-2005, 06:44 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yup, I agree, as ususal, a great time and lots of fun seeing all the "regulars" and the new faces this year. An 11 out of a possible 10!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:38 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Well, the weekend was perfect, the attendees were great, the Moraine View campground hosts were down on their game, but overall it was a great time for all. Yes the regulars were there and a couple of folks not expected also showed.

For those of you who didn't make it, we did our first movie night on Friday. Who would think that an Airstream would make a good movie screen. Thanks to Flamingo-Kid1 for the use of her silver screen! And we finally saw Animal House....toga toga toga! Thanks to Flamingo-Kid1 for supplying the pop corn. Thanks also to Silvertwinkie for supplying the PC, LCD projector and sound system.

Saturday brought out the tours and everybody spiffed up their trailers for the expected visitors. That evening the pot luck supper was held and as usual no one went away hungry. Thanks for the good food everyone. We had problems with the format of the Airstream DVD that I made and Zamboni supplied his PC which was able to read it ok. So Saturday night was the complilation of Jack's Airstream shows recorded at home, and as the late night feature we watched Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Man was it cold that night and a lot of us were wrapped in blankets as we watched.

The weather? Well needless to say it was the best we have ever had. No need for Air Conditioners and each morning was down in the low 50's. I don't think we had any major catastophies, other than a microwave that doesn't want to pop popcorn and Tikihut having some sewer issues ohmy, , hmm... is the right lever the gray tank or is it the left?

Big Al came the furthest, all the way from Canada, and for good measure put brakes on his trailer while he was there. As a matter of fact he has one of the few "officially" painted Airstreams sold. Pretty neat. Other improvements of note done on premise was the replacement of a noisy new Bambi refrigerator fan with two high tech silent air movers.

Oh and don't forget the dogs! We had are usual assortment highlighted by Flamingo-Kid1's pooch wearing a hula skirt and beach cap, and Cosmotini's dog whose collar contained a cell phone sized GPS that would phone home if he strayed beyond his appointed territory!

Thanks to Zamboni, who again supplied the neat signs for all of you attendees who signed up ahead of time. Those bringing their signs from last year got our 2005 decals. Zamboni also supplied some extra giveaways to some of our superlative attendees.

I'll post some pictures when I get time. I think you will find the movie ones interesting, to say the least.

My giveaway to all was my test AIR decal, so everybody should be sporting their AIR signatures on their tow vehicle or trailer.

Thanks everybody for coming, it wouldn't be anything without you. We will do it again next year (#4!) so keep the eyes peeled for the announcement next January, and like always, get those reservations in early!

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:19 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I almost forgot to mention that when we were in LeRoy fueling up, we met this woman who commented on our Airstream. We struck up a short conversation and found that she has a friend with what she thinks was a 1940s or early 50's Airstream that lives on her farm on it. She told me that some person approached them and said that they would buy them a new RV if they gave him that Airstream. I told her that if someone wanted it that bad, that it clearly must have been worth something more than they knew.......... she went home to look more closely into it, but said they were not going to get rid of it....especially after our chat.

I would have loved to have seen it, but didn't have time as we were pushing on.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:23 AM   #8
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Glad to hear you guys had such a great time! We're sorry we missed it, but we had a wedding to attend on Saturday, and I was scheduled to work yesterday... sometimes things just get in the way of what you really want to be doing! I did think about you all weekend tho... we were there in spirit!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:36 AM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
[QUOTE=Silvertwinkie]I almost forgot to mention that when we were in LeRoy fueling up, we met this woman who commented on our Airstream. We struck up a short conversation and found that she has a friend with what she thinks was a 1940s or early 50's Airstream that lives on her farm on it. QUOTE]

We passed a farm on I-55 that had what looked like a 49 Liner. It's near milepost 68 and its sitting near the outer road near the home.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-20-2005, 10:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Thank you, Jack...(and others) for all your efforts!

We had a great time at our first ever rally. The forum/rally sign will be proudly displayed in our garage and be a nice reminder of the trip. And thanks also for the Airstreamforum. com decal. Was it Zamboni that put those together? Thank you, if you did.

The tour was a great idea...we will come back next year to see the ones that we missed this time around. One thing is for sure, it was fun to put a face to some of the names from the forum.

And the food was outstanding, Mrs. BigAl's trifle was a work of art, norby's tabbouleh (sp?) was packed with vibrant flavors and fun to try. My daughters both loved the mac and cheese and the quesadillas. Sorry I'm not crediting the chefs on those two items. And our 3 year old ate 3 (!) of those cupcakes with the sprinkles...then had a serious sugar buzz until she crashed landed (exhausted) in her bed.

Thank you, again to anyone who helped make this a fun rally...you know who you are!

Tim and Randi
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:58 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
We passed a farm on I-55 that had what looked like a 49 Liner. It's near milepost 68 and its sitting near the outer road near the home.

Jack
That was most likey the unit in question. Don't think there would be too many late 40's, early 50's Airstreams laying around LeRoy.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
[QUOTE=jcanavera]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I almost forgot to mention that when we were in LeRoy fueling up, we met this woman who commented on our Airstream. We struck up a short conversation and found that she has a friend with what she thinks was a 1940s or early 50's Airstream that lives on her farm on it. QUOTE]

Jack
Greetings from Holland! (Michigan)

That unit is the one I posted pictures of about 3 wks ago. I think it's a 1947 liner. The guy selling it was asking $5000. I noticed the for sale sign has been missing for the past week or 2.

By the way, the rally was great! Also the weather was excellent!

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:32 PM   #13

Fenton , Missouri
A couple of Pictures

Here are a couple of pictures from the rally. I'm still working on getting them into a format for the photo section.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010057 (2).JPG
Views:	249
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	12960   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010044 (2).JPG
Views:	227
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	12961  

Name:	P1010064 (2).JPG
Views:	224
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	12962   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010065 (2).JPG
Views:	243
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	12963  

Name:	P1010020 (2).JPG
Views:	256
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	12964   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010062 (2).JPG
Views:	211
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	12965  

AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-21-2005, 06:34 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Spring Hill , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to gsalmon
Kudos to Jack for another smooth rally. It was nice to see everyone again.
As an aside, I usually forget to do something before I leave the site. This time it was my Airstream Forums sign. If anyone grabbed it for me, hold on to it for next year.

Thanks!!
gsalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:47 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Post Great company, great food, great trailers/motorhome!

Hi,
Thanks to Jack for the great decal and all the work making it happen! Lots of great cooking going on at this rally! This was our first rally, so nice to meet you all. We took the backroads home to Michigan, glad to report that the corn looks good this year, knee high long before 4th of July.
Have a great summer!
Dave, Steph, and Sammy Sanderson
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:46 PM   #16
_

. , .
howdy folks

i've now wandered back to the land of 'ahs but will be off somewhere again in a few days....north or east or west......i think.

max points and sniffs the map, and that's where will go.....

thanks for letting me crash the party. what a great group of 'streamers.

there were so many fillymingos that it seemed like moraine state park was transformed into inagua national park....even the weather was perfect.

enjoyed meeting everyone and seeing the extended families.....i mean airstreams....how did i miss touring the only airstream on the planet with a hot tub, mushroom factory and beehive?

hey zam' it was great meeting you, the mrs' and the little 'bonis. clearly you are all enjoying the motorhome, where smiles per gallon matters most. just like jake i'm wearing my bicycle helmet right now.

jack did a great job with just enough organization and the perfect drive inn movie experience.....how about grease and american graffitti for future movie options?

big al and his complete brake/hub/bearing replacement x4 and the rev's turbo fan upgrade were impressive but meeting a couple about to marry, who just couldn't miss a rally, prove that anythings possible with air'heads.

even all the dogs got along.....i've been trying to p.m. the terrier with the cell phone/gps/satellite dish collar..........rover......please return your calls!

i look forward to seeing you all again soon,

but next time schedule the naked shuffle board for some time other than high noon.....does walbernize work on sunburn?

let's rally!

cheers 2all

2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Aspca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Here are a couple of pictures from the rally. I'm still working on getting them into a format for the photo section.

Jack
GREAT pics, Jack, but did you HAVE to show the world how we tortured our Dilly Dawg??
Old 06-21-2005, 08:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
This was our first rally ever and we loved it!

The location was great and the weather was perfect.

Jack, you did a marvelous job of keeping track of everything and making us feel welcome.
It's already been said but the movies, the dinner, the campfire, the trailer tour, and especially all the attendees made for a great time.

Just so you know, my round trip distance was 2605 kilometres. That's about 1600 miles.
My new brakes worked just fine.(happy,happy).
Customs didn't see a thing.
I worked out my mileage and it seems to be 9.75 miles/us gal.
Not bad for speeds of 60 to 65 miles per hour.

Also detoured to go to Jackson Centre for the Airstream factory tour.
Awesome. Especially that they let you mingle with the workers and even ask them construction details.
That added a day to my trip but I still got home for dinner today.

Haven't looked at my photos yet but if there are any good ones I'll post them.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
pictures

I've got my pictures ready to post; I want to put them in my album here on the forum, but I also want toput a few here. So, lookie:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Deph-Dill-Camping.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	13000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moraine-05-Deph-Window.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	13003  

Attached Images

Old 06-24-2005, 03:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
alrighty then

OK OK OK enough with the dawgs.. these people were at Moraine and told me this was a 1961 Prairie Schooner.. it's only 12 feet! They came over to see our aluminum, and I think I talked them into joning Tin Can Tourists.
Attached Images