Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Why this hole in the tank cover?

After eleven years looking at the hole in the middle of our propane tank cover, I finally wondered why it is there. Hardly for ventilation, as the base is open. I suppose, if there was a resident rodent, the orifice would provide improved rural views for the incumbent. Answers on a postcard.....
Nick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00082.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	98804  
Old 03-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
No clue

but i don't remember my 1990 29ft er having a hole in the cover.
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
It was so you could see the change over regulator.

"Decaffinated coffee is the devil's blend."
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO Bob View Post
It was so you could see the change over regulator.
I have the same hole in my cover. Since the changeover regulator is at the top just under the lid, I seriously doubt that you are supposed to see it from there.

(But I will agree that decaffeinated coffee is just plain wrong, Bob.)

It looks a lot like the hole that was left in the front of vintage cars to insert the crank so you could hand-crank the engine to start it. I think it is left over from that.

I've wondered what that hole was for too.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Yes Vaughan, I agree. The regulator needs to be at the top, so that liquids such as the odouriser run back into the tank, and don't contaminate the regulator, as explained to me by the Marshall tech people.
Hand-crank handle hole is an appealing idea.
Perhaps the hole was just an Optional Extra for "The owner who wants everything".
We need to know.
Nick.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
My original regulator (the original) could if I adjusted stuck through the hole. Bad design. After searching and searching for a small gas leak, I found that the plastic indicator cover had a crack for removing the cover.

"Decaffinated coffee is the devil's blend."
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks Bob,

I'll admit, I considered that my regulator could well be in a different location than original.

I just couldn't resist the crank idea.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Isn't that the portal to the blinker fluid fill neck? On second glance, I think it's actually the framus valve adjustment opening.

Great to see you back on here, Nick. REALLY glad. Susan and I are headed over the pond to visit with my nephew, also called Nick, in a year or so. He's about 75 miles NE of London in an area I think called WarBoy. It'll be the trip of a lifetime for us. Can't wait!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst View Post
After eleven years looking at the hole in the middle of our propane tank cover, I finally wondered why it is there. Hardly for ventilation, as the base is open. I suppose, if there was a resident rodent, the orifice would provide improved rural views for the incumbent. Answers on a postcard.....
Nick.
Hi, is it possible that the hole was made for an accessory propane devise? [generator, camp stove, fire pit Etc.] Propane hose connected by quick connector or to a "T" fitting and run through that hole.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, is it possible that the hole was made for an accessory propane devise? [generator, camp stove, fire pit Etc.] Propane hose connected by quick connector or to a "T" fitting and run through that hole.
Why run it through a hole when it could just run out the bottom?
Old 03-26-2010, 05:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Jim, many thanks for your kind words. I'm leaning towards your blinker fluid fill-neck idea....... A few years ago a neighbour had the hood up on her car. She was a determinedly independent lady who ruled her husband with her strong personality, and always told all who would listen that she could do any job a man could do, and better. She told me she couldn't understand why every week she had to top up the cooling fluid reservoir for the radiator, but she could never find a leak. She showed me the low level in a reservoir. I then asked her if she had noticed that the fluid in the windscreen washer never seemed to need topping off, even though she used the washers everyday when driving on our muddy lanes. "Yes", she said, strange, isn't it. How did you know????"
Nick.