Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello Carol.... We got 40 lb aluminum tanks and love them... Marvin would like a cover if anyone is wanting to sell one... it will be painted to match the Argosy...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
I missed this one Carol. I have 40's on the Sov and love em! With my crew and early/late season camping plus the 74 becomes the North Pole and wrapping center for X-mas, I burn through both 40's once a year.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Where propane lasts a season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Thanks. All these comments are encouraging and informative. A tip to lighten the load if need be and why big tanks fend off frosting up and advice on transporting tanks. All good to know. Thank you all for your replies. Ahhh and to you fortunate Southerners, I have heard about the land where propane lasts a season, someday I hope to join you there and bask in the warmth.
Wow! Point me to this place! PLEASE

We've been in Mission, Texas since the first of December and we have gone through a full 40 lb. tank and half.

While the weather this week has been quite nice, all that cold air that had you sitting on the heater grate the past few weeks had us running the furnace quite a bit and thinking how nice more insulation in the walls/ceiliing would be.

And, AFAIAC, 2air has it right. Kind of like an old friend of mine once said, "You can drive a fast car slow, but you cannot drive a slow car fast".

Go with the large tanks.

And Carol, I'm amazed that you would not be able to bat those lovely eye lashes and get some nice young man to assist with getting a "heavy" tank to/from the trailer/auto.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
40's and loving them

Handing those big tanks takes a talent I learned moving large (100 #) units farming. One never carried these but rolled them by handling them from the top and turning them to move them. Then to lift one,using ones leg to rotate the mass on it's center, holding on to the top and bottom, and slide it into it's bracket. It takes a little practice but for a man, not a big thing. Just don't drop them. A two wheel cart is a fine tool too but do it safely.

PS: I've only taken off one tank to fill in six years!
fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsea View Post
Wow! Point me to this place! PLEASE

We've been in Mission, Texas since the first of December and we have gone through a full 40 lb. tank and half.

While the weather this week has been quite nice, all that cold air that had you sitting on the heater grate the past few weeks had us running the furnace quite a bit and thinking how nice more insulation in the walls/ceiliing would be.

And, AFAIAC, 2air has it right. Kind of like an old friend of mine once said, "You can drive a fast car slow, but you cannot drive a slow car fast".

Go with the large tanks.

And Carol, I'm amazed that you would not be able to bat those lovely eye lashes and get some nice young man to assist with getting a "heavy" tank to/from the trailer/auto.

Jim
Shucks, even though I know that's blarney, I am eating that comment up! Happy Saint Patty's Day!!!

Fred that is good to know, I will try to negotiate fills onboard. I do so appreciate every one's input, but most of all Norsea's.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
I was wondering how many have the larger propane bottles on their Airstreams and how they like them? Are they difficult or near impossible to take down and off to refill? I know I had trouble with the 30# tanks by myself. I am wondering if it is worthwhile to downsize the tanks or if they are in fact worth their weight in...well...propane. Convenient or inconvenient, that is the question and as far as hitch weight how has the extra weight made a difference. Also our tv is a Suburban and the tanks ride inside to be refilled, will these fit? Thanks.
They were standard on our trailer and from my experience with my previous TT with 30#ers, I am glad I have them. You go through LP quickly when it is cold. I am not much stronger than your average Little girl and I can handle them by myself. I'm glad they're aluminum however. If the going gets tough, I have my wife lift them.
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Went out to see if I could remove the tank for refill and I couldn't even raise the tank cover, albeit it is windy but I am not tall enough to hold it over my head from one side and clear the tall tanks to remove it and not risk it easily getting away from me from such a small and remote holding point. I can just about forget about lifting the filled tanks so onto another question and plan...

Can I reasonably expect to fill my propane tanks without removing them from the Airstream? Does anyone do that?

photography
Old 10-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Carol,

When we were in Quartszite early this year, I had one tank filled off of the trailer and one filled on the trailer. A propane distributor should have no problem, after all the tanks on motorhomes are not easily removable.

Bill

Quote:
Went out to see if I could remove the tank for refill and I couldn't even raise the tank cover, albeit it is windy but I am not tall enough to hold it over my head from one side and clear the tall tanks to remove it and not risk it easily getting away from me from such a small and remote holding point. I can just about forget about lifting the filled tanks so onto another question and plan...

Can I reasonably expect to fill my propane tanks without removing them from the Airstream? Does anyone do that?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #29
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There are still some campgrounds that sell propane and some smaller service-oriented propane dealers. Portable tanks do have to be removed from the vehicle to be filled, because they have to be weighed, but the right place will do that for you.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #30
_

. , .
Quote:
Went out to see if I could remove the tank for refill and I couldn't even raise the tank cover...
use a step stool or 3 step ladder.

open the top, remove the wingnut, disconnect the wire sensors.

close and RElatch the cover.

now lift the cover with both hands straight up.

once the cover is off the empty tank is much easier to handle.

but you may not be able to put a full tank back/UP on the A frame.

hopefully only 1 is empty and your man-handler will be around soon.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Being vericially challenged...that's a good reminder too, the ladder goes out next. I'll give it another go trying to be on top of things. I already begged help so it's off for now. Let's see if I can get it into the Burb empty behind the front seat. Thanks for the tips. If I only empty one at a time I should be able to locate "manhandler" some where before time becomes critical. Must I carry beer?

photography
Old 10-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Carol,

FWIW, in Washington State you have to remove the tanks before filling, at least that is what I have been told by more than one propane filler upper guy at the stations I use.

I have yet to purchase propane by weight as a previous poster mentioned. We buy by the gallon. When I asked why I had to remove the tanks the response had something to do with some safety regulation. I have been doing this for more than 20 years now and the requirement to remove the tanks is a relatively new one.

I have two 30 pounders and I wouldn't want to man handle anything larger. Remember.......it isn't always about the size of things.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #33
_

. , .
slide the passenger seat full forward.

place empty UPright in the foot space.

slide passenger seat back till snug.

cover tank with plastic bucket, open window for venting.

a 40 lb aluminum tank weighs LESS than a 30 lb steel tank empty...

so they'll be about the same weight full (3-5# difference)

Quote:
...Must I carry beer?
and YES carry beer, lifting tanks or calling for help leads to thirst.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #34
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Carol,

FWIW, in Washington State you have to remove the tanks before filling, at least that is what I have been told by more than one propane filler upper guy at the stations I use.

I have yet to purchase propane by weight as a previous poster mentioned. We buy by the gallon. When I asked why I had to remove the tanks the response had something to do with some safety regulation. I have been doing this for more than 20 years now and the requirement to remove the tanks is a relatively new one.

I have two 30 pounders and I wouldn't want to man handle anything larger. Remember.......it isn't always about the size of things.
They charge by the gallon but fill by weight using the tare stamped on the ring. At least they're supposed to. Shortcuts are often taken.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks all, Bill and Jammer and Aftermath and 2Air. I plan on trying to refill one as soon as possible, as I suppose they were intended to be used. We are still opertaing on the same tank that was full in March and now I want to fill both before the extended trip. The smaller ones would be slightly more managable for me but this is what we have so I will work around. I will have paid electric but will still be running the propane for two months in winter to keep the tanks from freezing.

photography
Old 10-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
out of touch

I think I have been out of touch too long. Trip??? Extended trip?? Where are you headed, Carol?
Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I'm going to go help Santa at Amazon.com in Kentucky Lou.

photography
Old 03-19-2022, 01:10 PM   #38
M&F

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Vermont
Do the 40# actually fit in the same space as the 30’s?
Tiagizmo is offline   Reply With Quote