Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2009, 06:54 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
The final word on these tanks for Canadians

Hello everyone,

I talked to an expert and the final word is, these tanks are not usable in Canada.

The OPD valve requirements are an international regulation. In the United States there is an exemption for horizontal tanks made before October 1998. My tanks are of this type. However, in Canada there is NO exemption and it is illegal to re-qualify these tanks. It is even technically illegal to refill tanks like this that have been re-qualified in the United States.

So now my only decision is, aluminum or steel, 30 lb or 40 lb. Price may drive this decision, but it would be nice to have aluminum wouldn't it...

Thanks everyone for your input on this topic!

redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
If this is true I would just replace 1 tank for filling to the Canadian rule and keep 1 for filling in the U.S.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Ah, if you have to get rid of the tanks, then don't junk them. THey can be revalved in the US, and I'm sure that there are enough folks here who would love to have them.

Lynn
Old 08-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstart View Post
Hello everyone,

I talked to an expert and the final word is, these tanks are not usable in Canada.

The OPD valve requirements are an international regulation. In the United States there is an exemption for horizontal tanks made before October 1998. My tanks are of this type. However, in Canada there is NO exemption and it is illegal to re-qualify these tanks. It is even technically illegal to refill tanks like this that have been re-qualified in the United States.

So now my only decision is, aluminum or steel, 30 lb or 40 lb. Price may drive this decision, but it would be nice to have aluminum wouldn't it...

I figured that's where you would wind up, but I knew you had to find the answer yourself.

Well, as to new ones, it amazes me how quickly we can go through 2 X 30 lbs of gas, and so far we haven't travelled at all (we're on shore power, electric fridge, we've only used the furnace a couple of times at night). If I was to buy again, it would definitely be larger ones.

Also, aluminum certainly matches an AS trailer better, and no worries about it rusting with time: ours are original to the TT, which as you can see is 35 years old, and are showing no signs of any deterioration.

On the other hand, they are a lot pricier than painted steel...
Old 08-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
well, for any canadians wondering about aluminum, west marine (westmarine.ca) is the canadian supplier for worthington tanks and i was quoted between $800 and $1000 PER TANK for 30 or 40 lb-ers. Holy moly. Just curious - what do they put in new airstreams these days?
Old 08-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
According to Worthington's website, the authorized dealer in Canada is Diversco Supply. And according to Diversco's site, there are several installations around the country. Might want to try them on prices. (Here in the US, there is TREMENDOUS fluctuation on prices of propane cylinders.)

Lynn

Old 08-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Thanks Lynn - and yup I called Diversco but they wouldn't give me a price b/c they only sell to dealers and not to general plebs like me. Haha.

Also, in Canada, i find that companies just keep the prices HIGH and ignore the fluctuating US equivalents .

I've ordered the 30 lb steel suckers.

If anyone in the US wants these 40 lb aluminum horizontal Worthingtons sans OPD valves, they are free to a good home but you must pick them up in London, Ontario. Not going to sell them b/c i don't want to even TRY to ship them and also because they need to be re-certified in the US - while I believe there is nothing wrong with them and they work fine, I can't guarantee it.

Thanks everyone!!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #28
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
800-1,000 bucks per tank is bogus: I see them on the US TT parts sites at ~$350 per, for the 30 pounder.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #29
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Hello everyone,

So what do the folks who own motorhomes, LP forklifts and skidloaders with horizontal tanks do in Canada? I'm really curious. I mean there are a LOT of horizontal tanks floating around out there...

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:46 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
800-1,000 bucks per tank is bogus: I see them on the US TT parts sites at ~$350 per, for the 30 pounder.
I 100% agree! I saw the 20 lb ones for 299$ on another US web site. I was told it's the taxes, import duties etc...

Best route appears to be...buy them in the US and put them on your trailer and no one in Canada is the wiser

Old 08-05-2009, 04:48 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
So what do the folks who own motorhomes, LP forklifts and skidloaders with horizontal tanks do in Canada? I'm really curious. I mean there are a LOT of horizontal tanks floating around out there...

Roger
All horizontal tanks made after October 1998 have OPD valves on them, so all those people with tanks made earlier had to get new ones. In talking to so many people/dealers, once I got the reponse, "Oh, you're one of THOSE unfortunate people." I guess there are a lot of us.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:13 AM   #32
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
All horizontal tanks made after October 1998 have OPD valves on them, so all those people with tanks made earlier had to get new ones. In talking to so many people/dealers, once I got the reponse, "Oh, you're one of THOSE unfortunate people." I guess there are a lot of us.
We had a '94 tri-axle that used the same Worthington tanks you have, and we had it when the OPD regulations went into effect and the OPD valves became mandatory. I went through much of the same research you've done and found that OPD valves can't be used on horizontal tanks even if you'd wanted them. OPD valves won't allow the tank to be filled past 80% (or something like that) by volume, leaving a void above the LP in a vertical tank. Horizontal tanks don't allow for that, which is why they were exempted in the U.S. Permanently mounted horizontal tanks need neither re-inspection nor OPD valves, and vertical tanks won't work in a horizontal application. Unless there's some kind of new horizontal tank OPD valve that's been introduced since then or something... I'm really confused.

I recognize that we ARE dealing wth governmental regulations tho...

And... I confess I haven't looked into this now in about five years, so my info may be old...

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:38 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
We had a '94 tri-axle that used the same Worthington tanks you have, and we had it when the OPD regulations went into effect and the OPD valves became mandatory. I went through much of the same research you've done and found that OPD valves can't be used on horizontal tanks even if you'd wanted them. OPD valves won't allow the tank to be filled past 80% (or something like that) by volume, leaving a void above the LP in a vertical tank. Horizontal tanks don't allow for that, which is why they were exempted in the U.S. Permanently mounted horizontal tanks need neither re-inspection nor OPD valves, and vertical tanks won't work in a horizontal application. Unless there's some kind of new horizontal tank OPD valve that's been introduced since then or something... I'm really confused.

I recognize that we ARE dealing wth governmental regulations tho...

And... I confess I haven't looked into this now in about five years, so my info may be old...

Roger
regulations

From what i understand, the OPD valves are available and will work on horizontal tanks manufactured after October 1998 only. They won't work on horizontal tanks prior to that date, hence the exemption in the US for those tanks. In Canada we are not so lucky. Some committee decided against the exemption.

Hey, do you want some spare tanks?
Old 09-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
just picked up my tanks and think i might have bought the wrong ones!

they are horizontal but they have a stand on them, like feet, so that they don't fit nicely in the compartment. does anyone know - can you buy horizontal tanks without the stand or do you have to cut it off yourself?

THANKS for any ideas!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
a canadian dilemma

further to my above post, i didn't buy the wrong tanks, it's just that all new horizontal propane tanks come with feet. You have to modify the cradle in the airstream propane storage compartment, don't listen to my crazy suggestion above for removing the feet. duh...

i am going to, i think, cut slots in the cradle for the feet to fit but before i do i am going to post a new thread with my plan and ask for advice. first things first, see if i can remove the cradle.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Stoney Creek , Ontario
Propane Tanks

Just dropped off one of my 30 lb tanks on Sat. They aren't sure that they can do it (but think they can). Some have a "dip tube" and can't be recertified with the OPD valve (Jan 08 legislation in Canada). Mine are upright so I'm keeping my fingers crossed (and digging out my 1/4 metal stamps ). My tanks have 3 dates on them so they are 32 years old now (last stamp was 07).

Anyway, having seen what 5 years can do to a steel tank on my BBQ, Aluminum tanks seem to be worth it if you can get 30 years (maybe 40) out of them.

I use Weld-Tech because they are local but most welding supply places will recertify a cylinder.

Good Luck (and wish me luck!)
Alex
astewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
i agree 100%, aluminum tanks are worth it! you are lucky you have the vertical tanks - i don't think they are as much of a problem as these horizontals.

and these new horizontal tanks are turning out to be a huge PITA! but i'd be in the same boat with new aluminum instead of steel - all new horizontal tanks come with a stand, whether steel or alum, so the trick is fitting the stand into the storage compartment.

i think i understand now why they use vertical tanks now on the NEW 30+ airstreams!!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #38
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by astewart View Post
Anyway, having seen what 5 years can do to a steel tank on my BBQ, Aluminum tanks seem to be worth it if you can get 30 years (maybe 40) out of them.
Alex

I can tell you that my tanks are the original aluminum ones, and have installed since (at least) June, 1974.

You can't tell them from new, unless you look closely at the stamped dates.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
40 lb Horizontal Aluminium LP Tank for 299.99$

Quote:
well, for any canadians wondering about aluminum, west marine (westmarine.ca) is the canadian supplier for worthington tanks and i was quoted between $800 and $1000 PER TANK for 30 or 40 lb-ers. Holy moly. Just curious - what do they put in new airstreams these days?
Saw 299.99$ USD for a 40 lb. Horizontal Aluminium LP Tank at Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!
André Doré
Mont-Laurier, QC
adore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
summary

Here's a summary of the issue so far:

1) It's a horizontal thing!

You guys with the verticals are very lucky. No worries on this issue.

2) It's a Canadian thing!

Canadian regulations do not allow horizontal propane tanks without an OPD valve (i.e. more than ten years old) to be recertified. In the US, you can do it!

3) It's a "new tank" in an "old compartment" thing!

All new horizontal tanks, whether aluminum or steel, come with a STAND, or "feet", front and back, and handles on the top of the tank. This means it doesn't fit in the cradle within the propane storage compartment. Technically, you shouldn't modify the tank since the stand is a requirement for horizontals now. Not reccommending it but, if it looks professional, I doubt anyone will notice when you are filling up at the local gas station.

Caveat: don't buy new 40 lb tanks - go for the 30 lb'ers! I don't think the new 40 lb tanks will fit in the compartment. The storage compartment slopes down toward the back, and there is very little extra room at the back.

Also: buy your new tanks empty! With all the fitting etc you have to do, you don't want to be lugging full tanks.

5) It might be a Can-Am thing!

I called Airstream Tech Support to ask about this issue. But, as per item #2, they hadn't heard of the problem. Their answer was: "Call Can-Am RV! I am sure that Andrew T has a solution!"

Sure enough, Can Am has dealt with this issue. But since I have spent a lot of money lately (new tires for two vehicles, new brakes, $450 on new steel propane tanks etc etc!!!) I am going to try to do it myself first. Can Am is the backup plan.

Here is my plan:

Remove the back brace for the 40 lb tanks (done), move it forward to the 30 lb position and add foam padding for the smaller base of the new tank.

The new tank is exactly the same circumference as the old, but it's shorter and the base is smaller. Note: the nuts for the brace are welded onto the bottom of the cradle in both positions, so don't waste time trying to get them out!

The back foot of the propane tank is too wide for the cradle by about an inch. The tanks slide into the compartment on the roller. To deal with this issue I propose:

Unbolt the cradle from the storage compartment (not sure if this can be done. If it's welded in, then it becomes a Can Am thing!).

Cut off the side panels of the cradle as indicated in the diagram. This will allow you to slide in the tank and fit the back foot in. While the cradle is out, I would add a bolt for the front foot of the propane tank, which already has a bolt hole in it. Weld a nut to the bottom of the cradle so that you don't lose the nut everytime you take the tank out for refill.

So... what do you think of my plan?

I am also including pics of my new steel tanks. Aluminum tanks have the same feet and handles. I have a diagram from worthington, their tank feet actually look wider than the steel ones but I have asked them for the exact dimensions out of curiosity. Will post those when I get them for completeness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	86950   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank side.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	86951  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tankfront.jpg