RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-26-2021, 07:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Shoreline , Washington
when the lp runs dry...

Hi all-

I recently ran out of lp and didn't notice for a few days, and I had the furnace set to 50. I changed the tank to a full one, but now of course the furnace won't ignite. It's a brand new trailer so I doubt it is the sail switch, I'm guessing there's just a lot of air in the line. The stove lights, the hot water heater lights, but it's a tiny trailer (Caravel 2020) and the furnace is the last in line so there's nothing else to prime the line with.

my question is specific: can I bleed the air out by simply continuing to cycle the furnace on at the thermostat (it shuts off at about 30 seconds with no clicking so I know the igniter isn't even trying) I've attempted about 15 times now with no luck but will keep going if that is the only way. If not, how do I bleed it?

also- was surprised to note that the automatic switchover to the second tank didn't happen when the first tank ran dry, but I see from the forum here that those are squirrelly so I'm chalking it up to a coincidence. I've tested the switchover procedure by firing up a stove burner and then closing the tank, and it switched over to the second tank just fine.

Oh, and in case it's useful info, the temps here have been around 36 low/45 high.

thanks in advance!
bparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
I had that happen when my trailer was new, try running the stove for a while, all burners to pull the line clear. Mine stove lit but when I tried all burners wouldn’t pull enough gas for a few minutes. Once all the burners will run cleanly the furnace started with a hard reset.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
^ What he said. So get the stove working nicely. Also the furnace may have locked out so turn off 12V using the store/use switch, then try again. If it try's to light but fails, see if the refrigerator lights on propane and then try again. If that does not work come back to us.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Shoreline , Washington
had the burners both going full blast for three minutes, burning nice and blue. No furnace ignition. The fridge is DC only, doesn't run on propane. I'll try the power switch tomorrow- thanks!!
Old 01-27-2021, 03:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Good advice so far. Your LP regulator [+ tank switchover] may be bad. After flipping all related 12-volt circuit breakers off/on, and your main 12-volt Use/Store switch off/on, if you can't get a consistent flame on the stove burners, that possibility should be considered IMO.

Are you close to your dealer? I would call them and the Airstream 800 number, and ask for help under your warranty. They may authorize a mobile HVAC tech to come check the operation of your system, including the propane pressure in the lines with both stove burners burning full-blast.

Did the furnace work correctly before that tank ran out? Guessing "yes" so probably not a defective circuit board or sail switch IMO. Need a service tech who can check everything with a meter IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:07 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Shoreline , Washington
Stove is consistent, hot water heater fires right up. There is simply air in the line and letting the burners go for three minutes straight didn't bleed it out.

specifically I need to know if attempting to turn the furnace on at the thermostat will draw propane through the line or not. There is no ignition clicking sound, so I think the propane is NOT being drawn by doing this, but want confirmation from someone who knows.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The sequence is to start the fan motor, verify it is up to speed with the sail switch, open the gas valve and turn on the igniter. The furnace will try and ignite even if there is no propane.

Do you smell gas? Any error blinking on the control card?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:33 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One thing to check on the auto switch over .... was the valve on the second tank open? If it's not, the gizmo will not switch. Don't ask how I know this

The fact that the furnace does not "click" suggests that it is not sparking to light the burner. If a power cycle does not fix the issue, start checking for error messages on the furnace control board.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2003 22' International CCD
2004 28' Safari
Sahuarita , Arizona
Did you try the reset button on the elect panel of the furnace? Was the red lockout light on?
AzAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Shoreline , Washington
Interesting. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the location of the furnace panel. I unscrewed the panel where the air blows out but I can't get to any of the guts of the thing that way. I'll dig around, thanks for the tip.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:40 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Shoreline , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One thing to check on the auto switch over .... was the valve on the second tank open? If it's not, the gizmo will not switch. Don't ask how I know this

The fact that the furnace does not "click" suggests that it is not sparking to light the burner. If a power cycle does not fix the issue, start checking for error messages on the furnace control board.

Bob

Haha! yes, the valve was open, I had anticipated the need for it to switch over so I had double checked that before I dipped out for a few days. Bob do you know where the control board is located on the Caravel? I'm about to dig around for info about it's location but if you happen to know that would be a good head start. '

thanks!
Old 01-27-2021, 01:04 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Shoreline , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
The sequence is to start the fan motor, verify it is up to speed with the sail switch, open the gas valve and turn on the igniter. The furnace will try and ignite even if there is no propane.

Do you smell gas? Any error blinking on the control card?

thanks for confirming the sequence. No gas smell, no error on the thermostat. The circuit board has a little red light bulb on it which was NOT lit, but I could see that it is meant to if there is a problem. The circuit board itself does not have a screen, so there is no error code there. I don't smell any gas.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:06 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Shoreline , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzAirstream View Post
Did you try the reset button on the elect panel of the furnace? Was the red lockout light on?

I found the panel and saw the red bulb which I assume is the "lockout light" which was NOT on. I didn't see a reset button though. Thanks for helping troubleshoot.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:10 PM   #14
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Can you post the model number of your furnace please?
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:12 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Shoreline , Washington
The furnace operates as it should today upon the first try. I did nothing to solve the problem, so it remains a mystery.

It is a few degrees warmer today than it has been, so I'm wondering if there were ice crystals that formed somewhere in the line and today they melted. At any rate, I'm glad it worked itself out. Thanks to everyone who helped me troubleshoot!
Old 01-27-2021, 01:13 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Shoreline , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Can you post the model number of your furnace please?

thanks for your help- for some reason it fired right up today. I did nothing different than I did before, and it is maddening that I'll never really know why it wouldn't work.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:19 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Shoreline , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Also the furnace may have locked out so turn off 12V using the store/use switch, then try again.

I tried this last night and it didn't work. I tried again today, letting slightly more time elapse between switching it off and then back on. The furnace fired right up on the first try so this "lockout" situation actually might have been the culprit. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot!
Old 01-27-2021, 01:21 PM   #18
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Having the model number we might find a factory service manual it’s good to have in your records for future use.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:26 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Shoreline , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Having the model number we might find a factory service manual it’s good to have in your records for future use.

smart. I'll see if I can find it
Old 01-27-2021, 01:31 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Shoreline , Washington
at the risk of beating this dead horse, I wanted to post something I just found in case the next person reading through this who is having similar problems might find it useful. I just searched "furnace lockout" and came away with this nugget which I think is probably exactly what happened to me. This person is referring to the service manual for their furnace specifically talking about lockout: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...out-22367.html

"They also note that if a bottle is run completely dry, the drying agent (1/2 pint ethonal/100 lb capacity of tank) can be depleted, allowing moisture to collect in the lines."

I think I had a moisture in the lines and furnace lockout combination happening. When I powered down with the shutoff switch last night and powered back up, it maybe didn't reset because there was ice in the line. It's my best guess.

Thanks all!