RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-02-2021, 06:13 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
sault sainte marie , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bparrish View Post
I always think its some worst case scenario like your bad switch whenever I have something happening. But it never is. Until it will be. I did take the outside panel off and I found the tiny control panel. It has a red led but no green led. I suspect with the small trailers they opted to only show when something is going wrong. I'm not sure if I'll be bold enough to crack the line supplying the gas next time I'm in a furnace fix. The idea that I might not get it back tightly enough is unsettling.

You will get the fitting tight enough if you tighten it up enough. Check it with soapy water for bubbles as well as the smell test if unsure. Unless you want to pay a mobile RV repair service for such a seemingly simple repair or operation, you need to take matters into your own hands. It's not rocket science. I believe the small trailers likely use the same control board as the rest, and the led is part of the diagnostics that are integral to the board and turns red or green depending on what it is telling you. Watch some youtube, if you can stomach google's political machinations.
bartzstream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:14 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Shoreline , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartzstream2 View Post
You will get the fitting tight enough if you tighten it up enough. Check it with soapy water for bubbles as well as the smell test if unsure. Unless you want to pay a mobile RV repair service for such a seemingly simple repair or operation, you need to take matters into your own hands. It's not rocket science. I believe the small trailers likely use the same control board as the rest, and the led is part of the diagnostics that are integral to the board and turns red or green depending on what it is telling you. Watch some youtube, if you can stomach google's political machinations.

The led bulb is red, not clear. if it lights up, it lights up red.
bparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:30 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Shoreline , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsittler View Post
My latest water heater thing happened in my driveway, too. It took SO long to finally light up that I was considering installing a new igniter board. <snip>

I don't like the idea of loosening the fittings, mostly because I used to plumb hydrogen lines, and I hate what a small gas leak can do in tight spaces.

It does take a long time for those lines to clear. The person who said that the gas is heavier than the air and will eventually fill the line is my hero. That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

I'm glad to hear an expert on gas lines is also reluctant to mess too much with those connections. I had an experience here at home with a built-in BBQ grill that has made me understand that not everything "just needs to be tight."
bparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:09 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Hydrogen is a different animal than odorized propane. Flames are hard to see and ignition point is quite low. With propane bleeding the line from a loose fitting till you smell the odorant is a good strategy. Just test the connection when you're finished.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote