Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2003, 04:55 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
OPD and 40 lb. Tanks

Oscar,

Everything I've researched says 40 lb. DOT tanks must have OPD valves. The proof will be in the pudding. When I take them in to be filled, the filler will certainly let me know.

Craig,

Thanks for your input. $24.95 seems very reasonable.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 11:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
yes 40 lb tanks do need OPD. The rule states "40 lb or less" not 'less than 40 lb.' The intent is safety in portable tanks used in RV's and outdoor appliances.

DO NOT UNER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRUST A VENDOR! Especially the fill up guys. It toook me several months to get a local propane house straight because even his distributor was giving him bad information. He finally got hold of the mfg for the straight scoop.

The Dip Tube length is usually noted on the collar of the tank (DT=xx) and you need to make sure you get the proper one (valves also have their dip tube length stamped on them)

WBCCI had a source for a good price for the OPD valves for aluminum tanks. But it is a good idea to get a propane dealer to install them as they often have special tools for the valves (only need a wrench but can be hard to get at). They can also re-certify the tank for another 5 years.

Aluminum tanks are usually well worth new OPD valves although you will loose any level meter you may have had in the old one.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 11:25 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Grow Legs..!!!...

Hi Fun-Lovin...
An I thought Fla: was a nice place...lol, I once planted 15 minature fir trees in my front yard, almost broke my back...next mornin 7 had GONE..." GROWN LEGS ", no doubt, I guess it is a world-wide thing...

Davydd, U sure those R gastanks...look a little like MILK CHURNS 2 me...if I manage 2 find any of my pairs of lost glasses, I'll b able 2 get a better look at 'em...lol... Idea, if U put 2 packs of BUD in the rear of the unit, U will have balance, as th gas goes down, drink a bud...or three...but leave the 4 bricks under the empty bud tins...all's well in the end...Chris.....
Old 12-05-2003, 08:12 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
Source for Valves :http://www.opdvalve.com/
Tool for removing and installing valves: http://www.kingssupply.com/item80.htm
MAKE SURE THE TANK IS EMPTY!!!!!!!!!
jjonesnc is offline   Reply With Quote