Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
danville , California
What size line to run for LP?

I am redoing all the lp lines in our jewel trailer and I am unsure of what sized lines to run, the existing HW heater that was electric only is being replaced by a propane heater. The only appliances in the trailer that are propane are the stove/oven, panel ray heater, hot water heater and a propane light. I was planning on running everything 1/4 type k tubing, but now I am not sure if I should have the main line in 3/8"s and branch off in 1/4 to each fixture. I am just worried about under-sizing the system.

Thanks
gmwelder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Most trailers have 3/4 line coming off the tanks and branching off with 3/8 to stove, water heater, and refg. 1/4 seams a bit small. I ran 3/8 to my small Olympic heater.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
danville , California
That sounds about right, It just seems weird all the original lines were 1/4 from the regulator back. Mybe a 1/2" main and 3/8" branches might be better.
gmwelder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Most trailers I've seen start with a 5/8" line to a junction, then 3/8" from there to each individual appliance. An exception would be, say, a gas lamp, which would be 1/4".
Old 04-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
OK we are doing gas, not air conditioning,Gas lamp takes 1/8 inch. water heater is 1/4 ",yes your flares are outside pipe sizes,but the pipe is ID. Plumber Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Your original lines were as Terry mentions according to the early 70's diagram. 5/8 OD main line. 3/8 OD to oven, range, water heater and furnace. 1/4 OD to refrigerator and gas light.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
We replaced the furnace, fridge, and range in our '72 Argosy 20. (Terry's old trailer) Since we spent all that cash on new appliances, I felt it kinda important that we go ahead and run all new copper tubing - not a fun job. Our trailer has a 5/8" line coming off the regulator with 3/8" tees that feed runs to each appliance. In addition to the new tubing, I installed new gas cocks so each branch can be shut off independantly. The original configuration didn't include a shut off for the range! It was a bit of a challenge running the line for the new fridge, but that was the only difficult hurdle.

BTW - for those who have problems making a good flare connection, this tool from Yellow Jacket makes the job REAL simple. A little spendy compared to the models in the home centers, but worth the price of admission.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
I want 1

1962 16' Bambi
victoria , British Columbia
I'am restoring a 62 bambi and are repairing a leak in my main line

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
OK we are doing gas, not air conditioning,Gas lamp takes 1/8 inch. water heater is 1/4 ",yes your flares are outside pipe sizes,but the pipe is ID. Plumber Dave
1/2 is to big and 5/8 to small for the two flairing tools I have tried what gives!
Bob Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Blandon , Pennsylvania
Here's the deal with propane line...

Propane line is measured in O.D. (outside diameter) Most trailers, including my Argosy 24, have a 5/8 OD (or 1/2 ID for plumbers) main line with 3/8 OD branching off to each appliance. In most cases that is fine. I have a water heater, range, furnace, and refrigerator all on propane on my trailer. The key to gas line sizing the is load on the system and the length of the run. If you are unsure about line sizing and how to install, please seek out a propane tech for help. Undersized line can be dangerous because if there is not enough pressure you will not get an efficient burn which can produce excess carbon monoxide. Also, the appliances will soot and can cause damage, especially in the furnace where you can't see it without taking it apart.

Hope that helps everyone.
lpgasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Propane size

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpgasguy View Post

Propane line is measured in O.D. (outside diameter) Most trailers, including my Argosy 24, have a 5/8 OD (or 1/2 ID for plumbers) main line with 3/8 OD branching off to each appliance. In most cases that is fine. I have a water heater, range, furnace, and refrigerator all on propane on my trailer. The key to gas line sizing the is load on the system and the length of the run. If you are unsure about line sizing and how to install, please seek out a propane tech for help. Undersized line can be dangerous because if there is not enough pressure you will not get an efficient burn which can produce excess carbon monoxide. Also, the appliances will soot and can cause damage, especially in the furnace where you can't see it without taking it apart.

Hope that helps everyone.
Don`t know where you are getting your info,it doesn`t really make much difference,but the National Fuel Gas code book refers to all sizes in I.D.,wouldn`t think a trailer would be any different. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
FWIW, I just ran all new lines in my 65, Ran 1/2 rolled copper everywhere, but it did branch down to the original 3/8 inch for the Fridge and Water Heater. Pics on my page.
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Mine is 5/8 to 3/8.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Looking to get agreement on the correct gasline standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
Your original lines were as Terry mentions according to the early 70's diagram. 5/8 OD main line. 3/8 OD to oven, range, water heater and furnace. 1/4 OD to refrigerator and gas light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpgasguy View Post

Propane line is measured in O.D. (outside diameter) Most trailers, including my Argosy 24, have a 5/8 OD (or 1/2 ID for plumbers) main line with 3/8 OD branching off to each appliance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
Don`t know where you are getting your info,it doesn`t really make much difference,but the National Fuel Gas code book refers to all sizes in I.D.,wouldn`t think a trailer would be any different. Dave
I'm wondering if we can all agree on what the size should be?

Does this sound right?

5/8" OD main line (including off the tanks?) and 3/8" OD after the regulator, going to each appliance

Or do we need to use ID measurements, and if so, what would they be?

Thanks. I am replacing my furnace this year, and did my water heater last year, and I want to make sure that I put the proper size in.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
5/8" OD main line (including off the tanks?) and 3/8" OD after the regulator, going to each appliance
This is what mine is.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I'm wondering if we can all agree on what the size should be?

Does this sound right?

Or do we need to use ID measurements, and if so, what would they be?

Thanks. I am replacing my furnace this year, and did my water heater last year, and I want to make sure that I put the proper size in.

Thanks!
I know this is an old thread, but I am doing some research on LP since I am building a new system, and I just wanted to point out that unless anyone is buying specialty propane regulators, the ones I have seen (esp. the one on VTS that I bought) has an outlet fitting size of just shy of 7/16".

So there is zero reason to go any larger than 1/2" ID or 5/8" OD for the main pipe because you are going through a smaller orifice to get there regardless.--Just in case someone was thinking of going to a larger size to be "safer", it's not necessary.

Yet I still haven't answered the questions I looked through these threads for....

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Resurrecting an old thread just because ...

The size of copper ID or OD, soft (bendable) and rigid sticks, types M, L etc. explained here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_tubing

The size of the gas line used is based on the number of BTUs used at each fixture/appliance.

So for example my 10,000 BTU water heater using type L soft copper is perfectly happy with 1/4" ID, 3/8" OD for a pipe run as long as about 80 feet. Propane Gas - Pipe Sizing

If I add up all of my propane requirements of hot water heater, fridge, furnace and range top I get roughly 60,000 BTU which is more than covered using 1/2" black pipe or 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD type L soft as my main distribution line from tanks under the belly to the entry point up into the trailer.

The two stage regulator near the tanks drops the tank pressure (~200 psi) to 10 psi then 11 inches water column.

Testing a new system or one that has been opened for repair is done first with compressed air - some claim ~3 psi for 10 minutes (11 inches water column is roughly 0.5 psi). Once there are no obvious leaks, the normal annual checks can be made.

Or I could be confused ....

Signed, a retired stationary engineer turned rv mechanic wannabe
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
more than covered using 1/2" black
Thanks for resurrecting!

Above, I think you refer to the ID of the black pipe being 1/2"?

I need to run black pipe underneath my Streamline.

I suppose there's no harm in running 1/2" black pipe for the branches, too, other than weight?

ERic
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Anytime ...

Mostly my posts are a result of me reviewing things before actually doing them.

Technically 1/2" steel pipe is 0.84" OD and 0.62" ID.

I've read a lot of comments claiming one type of pipe preferred over another. I even attempted to access the RVIA current standards but had the wrong decoder ring.

In practice both are used - all soft copper, or black to point of entry then soft copper.

The underside of my 75 Overlander looks like the cat was playing with it, or someone was using an etch-a-sketch.

I prefer the orderliness of radars, missile launchers, airplanes, etc. Plus the beautification engineer suggested a gas do over after seeing the plumbing job.

So I'll likely run standard Acme nut pig tails to an auto change over dual stage regulator to 3/8" propane hose to 1/2" black from the tongue tank mounts directly rearward to a T then a 1/2" branch to either side of the belly to within stricking distance of the furnace and range curb side, and fridge and water heater street side - each black pipe stub fitted with a flare end ball shut off valve and lots of support clamps for the rigid run.

The nay sayers will claim the trailer flexes too much for rigid pipe. If this proves true, I can always replace the rigid with soft. But then a lot of manufacturers would be swaping rigid for soft also.

The appliances in a home have a flex gas line, similarly and because those residential flex lines aren't suitable for an RV, an RV uses soft copper with flaired fittings to hook up to the appliances.

Hopefully a real RV tech certified for gas will correct any misconceptions in any or all of this. My simple training and experience as a stationary engineer sees nothing scary so far.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote