Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
Venting LP - How long?

In a 2019 FB 27 we have an ongoing problem with LP flow.

After disconnecting LP and reconnecting new tanks we cannot get LP to flow! We have turned on valves slowly. Confirmed both are full. We have changed tank sides for the indicator — still no smell of LP and no lighting at stove or any other appliance.
I have vented for 20 min!
Oddly we can smell/see a bad connection to bothe tanks right at the hand screw section - both leak at hose to hardware connection.

Help!
Mark of SJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The leaks at the hose connections may be causing the tanks to stop flow of propane. That is a function of the OPD valve in the tank. Replace the the lines from the tank to the regulator and see if that helps.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:10 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
I think that appliances will not flow propane absent of the heat of the flame on the thermocoupler. This is a safety device so if the flame goes out the LP flow stops. The LP flows briefly while trying to ignite. So, you can heat the thermocoupler with your lighter while holding or repeatedly attempting to light. This should purge the air.

For me, I use a butane torch on the thermocoupler of the water heater because it is furthest from the LP tanks and flows the most fuel. Don’t overheat the thermocoupler.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:19 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
My first dum question...Are the 'new' tanks full? 🥴

Remove, turn the tanks upside down and re-install.

My 'purge' method...
Turn the exhaust fan and a stove burner on, use a butane match 'til it lights.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
(Sorry, guilty of posting multiple threads - same topic as my phone was having issues and I didn't think it went through)

UPDATE

Discovered there are actually two answers to this!

1) It takes roughly a full minute to bleed out the air from the line (front of coach to almost the rear.

2) (More importantly & NOT covered in the manual!) You have to PUSH IN AND HOLD on the stove top nobs to get them to actually open! Just "turning and releasing them" will NOT allow LP to flow! (My DW happened to casually mention this...after I farted around, frustrated with this for pretty much 4 hours on Sat!)
Mark of SJC is offline   Reply With Quote