Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Type K Copper for LPG

Having a hard time finding this tubing. Anybody have a source that doesn't require large purchase quantities. Need probably 15' of 1/2" and about 20' of 3/8". Alternatives are welcome...maybe stainless?
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have always used whatever the local hardware store had. Never any problems either at home or on the trailers.
I have to admit I do not now what the K designator means,

You could check with a major propane supplier as they use copper for the lines from residential out door tanks.
These installations use a regulator at the tank to drop the pressure some, run through 3/8 copper and then a second regulator at the house.
Since you are regulating at the tank on a trailer you are only dealing with 8 oz or less of pressure.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Interesting link for inquiring minds:Copper Tubes - ASTM B88

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Home Depot a Lowes carry it in 25' rolls. It will identify the use on the box. Some types are used for refrigeration and others are for gas etc.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Having a hard time finding this tubing. Anybody have a source that doesn't require large purchase quantities. Need probably 15' of 1/2" and about 20' of 3/8". Alternatives are welcome...maybe stainless?
Many of the big box stores have switched to carrying type L. Apparently the codes have been relaxed and no longer required K for many applications.

K is the thickest, followed by L, followed by M. Flexible tubing is typically sold in K and L only, and rigid copper is typically sold in L and M only. Usually "refrigeration tubing" is used for gas. It is the same as the flexible copper water pipe except that is cleaned and inspected differently and sold in 50' and 100' lengths instead of 60' and 120'.

Grainger has type K refrigeration tubing in 1/2" and 3/8" in 50 foot coils. They also have water pipe.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Thanks to all, I imagine the K designation is for durability since there is no pressure to speak of. I am going to the big boxes to see what they have and will just protect it with some type of rubber hose that is slit to allow gases to escape if a problem were to occur.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Try your local ACE or True Value or Do It Best or whatever ones are in your area. Usually they have it, and sell it by the foot. Often it is labeled "refrigeration" tube.

Big box stores don't have the service or the depth of some things like this that the local hardware stores have. The local hardware places are fun to poke around and find stuff you never knew existed.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
I always try the locals 1st! Thanks
Old 04-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Double flairs and old brass

I checked the copper gas line on my 1976 AS. Part of it had been rubbing on the axle and it looks pretty thin. I am thinking of replacing all of the copper pipe.

Two questions: 1) Do we have to use double flairs on a gas line?
2) Can we use the old brass or should the brass be replaced with new?
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Eagle: there is only 11 inches of water pressure on the joints. Single flare is all that is ever used, or necessary.

Some of the old US made brass is much better quality than the new stuff available, but all the same yours are 33 years old. The only problem I have ever had with gas fittings has been that occasionally a flair nut will crack. Happened once on a rig I owned, and the 22' Argosy I am re doing now had one when I got it.

I probably would just re use what I took off, after close inspection.

If you have only one bad section, maybe you could just replace it, and leave the rest alone. My experience is that it holds up pretty well, unless crushed or road stone damaged near the wheels.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Eagle: there is only 11 inches of water pressure on the joints. Single flare is all that is ever used, or necessary.

Some of the old US made brass is much better quality than the new stuff available, but all the same yours are 33 years old. The only problem I have ever had with gas fittings has been that occasionally a flair nut will crack. Happened once on a rig I owned, and the 22' Argosy I am re doing now had one when I got it.

I probably would just re use what I took off, after close inspection.

If you have only one bad section, maybe you could just replace it, and leave the rest alone. My experience is that it holds up pretty well, unless crushed or road stone damaged near the wheels.
I just found a 5/8 flare nut cracked, could not find an RV dealer or propane dealer to make a new line. Went to local OSH hardware, bought 1 foot of 1/2 copper tube, 2 5/8 flare nuts. Used Harbor Freight flaring tool. The pipe I replaced was 6" long. Thanks to this thread I was able to fix it myself. Idroba, thank you, again.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:34 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Springfield , Illinois
I would highly recommend staying with Type L copper and not install refrigeration tube. Refrigeration tube is a lighter wall. Single flare is good and a standard flare nut is very adequate. Try your local plumbing shop to get the length you need and probably sell you the flare nuts that go with it. There are some products made of stainless with a rubber coating but cost is much higher than L copper. Been in the plumbing business for 40 years and found when you cheat on cost it will bite you. The box stores have clerks that are here today and gone tomorrow so some information is not trustworthy. Buy the L copper in my opinion.
Riverrat6270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
Another thing to keep in mind is the refrigeration tubing is measured from the outer diameter (OD) and water pipe is measured from the inner diameter (ID). Make sure you measure the OD of whatever copper tube/pipe you are working with to ensure everything fits correctly.
jmpratt is offline   Reply With Quote