RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
The difference is the 'valve' is now an OPD. Overfill Protection Device.
I did have to replace one on our 30lb aluminum tank.

Bob

I self re-certified Never have been rejected.
Not sure that'll work anymore. My recent recert involved a sticker which is anti-counterfeit. Like a iridescent driver license thing. Dont know if that is a 50 state thing or not, but an apparent attempt to thwart "self cert".

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #22

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Not sure that'll work anymore. My recent recert involved a sticker which is anti-counterfeit. Like a iridescent driver license thing. Dont know if that is a 50 state thing or not, but an apparent attempt to thwart "self cert".
My recertified tanks in Texas 5 or 6 years ago used a similar-sounding sticker.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Reidsville , Georgia
Since no one mentioned Tractor Supply, figured I would. They will either refill your existing tank or sell/swap your tank for another. If the tank is out of date its usually because the valve needs to be updated. A smart tech will find that if its a problem.

Price per gal at Tractor Supply is almost always cheaper than Camping World.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnGayl View Post
This may be idiosyncratic to our location, but we found out that when you do a tank exchange, the tank you get only has 15# of propane vs. the 20# it should have. Thus you are paying significantly more per pound than you need to. But if that is the only recourse due to day of the week or whatever, not much choice but to pay the penalty. The other reason I dislike exchange tanks is that often the tank you get is pretty crappy compared to your own. We always take our tanks to the local propane dealer and he fills them to the correct weight, charging only for what he puts in. Obviously this is much more economical, especially with partially filled tanks.

Finally, our tanks are 30#. I haven't seen tank exchange for that size, but again, maybe not typical everywhere.
Hi

If you dig into it, there are reasons they don't fully fill a tank. It's not a new thing. As previously mentioned, a "fill up" that charges you only for what goes in is usually the better approach. With the alundum tanks off of an AS you *very* much do not want to swap them (even if somebody had a 30 or 40 pound tank ..).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I had my alum tanks recertified and they put a sticker on them and charged me $5 apiece.