Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2004, 09:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Two LP questions

We got the owner's manual when we bought our '66 Safari last week, but man, does it leave a lot to be desired - like how do I get the pilot light for the over lit? It talks about, and I have been over the over, including lifting the range top, and I know how gas ovens work. I just can't seem to find the over pilot light, and where to light on this one.

Also, if the furnace is shut off, does that mean that there is no gas running through it? Since we really don't intend to use it much I want to make sure it isn't letting out gas thru a pilot light or something.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 09:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The more modern RV's have gas shutoff valves outside where the line comes in to the appliance. I am not sure this was the practice in '66 but the first thing you need to do is to make sure gas is getting to your appliance.

The oven may not have a thermocouple but I am almost certain the furnace does. This device will shut off gas to the pilot if the pilot goes out. It is a basic LP gas safety feature and its failure is a common source of not being able to keep things lit.

The other common problem with RV LP appliances is getting air out of the line. Set your oven to its standard 'off' (not 'pilots off') with the gas turned on and give it ten or fifteen minutes to purge air from the gas line. Figuring out where the pilot is can be a bit trickly but once you know what to look for ... ;-)

I think there was another thread in this forum about LP where I provided a couple of links to how you can check for proper LP pressure in the coach.

As far as LP gas leaks, your best detector is your nose. Sometimes you'll get a whif when the bottle out front gets low as the perfume added seems to concentrate in the last bit of gas in the tank. But otherwise, you can tell pretty quick if something is leaking LP gas. Take extreme care of you start smelling the LP perfume.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
[QUOTE=AYRSTRM2]We got the owner's manual when we bought our '66 Safari last week, but man, does it leave a lot to be desired - like how do I get the pilot light for the over lit? It talks about, and I have been over the over, including lifting the range top, and I know how gas ovens work. I just can't seem to find the over pilot light, and where to light on this one.

I've got the Magic Chef 4 burner stove in my 67 Globetrotter. Took it out of the coach and reconditioned it last winter. If you have a similar unit, the pilot light for the burners is under a plate in the center of the stovetop. The runners for the gas from the burners are arranged in a ring around it. Coming off the pipe with all the gas valves is the supply pipe to the pilot which is just a small hole at the end of the tube. The pilot adjustment valve is on the supply pipe. On mine the valve was turned off and the hole was plugged up. Once they were cleared the pilot would light. There is a similaer arrangement for the oven but since mine doesn't work I turned the pilot adjustment for the oven OFF. There are no thermocoulpes by the pilots so they emit gas whenever the the main valve to the stove is open.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck,

Tom
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
[QUOTE=Tom Nugler]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
W
...The pilot adjustment valve is on the supply pipe. On mine the valve was turned off and the hole was plugged up. Once they were cleared the pilot would light. There is a similaer arrangement for the oven but since mine doesn't work I turned the pilot adjustment for the oven OFF. There are no thermocoulpes by the pilots so they emit gas whenever the the main valve to the stove is open.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck,

Tom
Tom, thanks, good info.

The pilot adjustment valve: Is it like a little screw inline on the tube to the pilot light? Does the slot indicate whether flow is on and off the way that a water valve does?

JOhn
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Thumbs up

Thats right. I think the slotted bolt head just screws in and out and I don't think the slot has any relation to the flow of gas but I can't say for sure. I do know that with that cover shield off I had a flame about 1 1/2 inches high. The previous owner had "helped" by spraying oven cleaner over the burners plugging up the holes that shoot gas up the tubes to the pilot. Hope you don't have that problem.
GOOD LUCK. See you on the road,
Tom.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote