Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2020, 07:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Trailer Frame LP tank

I think I've had a great idea but given the explosive nature of liquified gas wanted to run it by those who probably know a bit more than I do about the subject. So here goes.

On my project trailer I'm mounting a mini split AC unit on the tongue and it's really going to limit the space for propane tanks. I can squeeze in up to a 10Lb Worthington either horizontal or vertical but it will reduce the air flow to the AC unit which I'd like to avoid. I don't expect to use a huge amount of propane with just a small cooktop and Truma's combi on demand heater furnace unit, no regular furnace and no 3 way refrigerator.

I started looking at tank alternatives and began with the undermount on interstates and ended up looking at one made for Westies. It's an ASME tank 6" in diameter and 32" long with a serious bash guard. My idea is to mount it in my 6" tall frame so it doesn't hang down at all, not enclose it with belly pan, locate it near the axles for 100% protection and a straight shot access up into the coach to the cooktop and along the frame back up in to the water heater and add a remote fill kit just below the city water and shore power inlet.

It is expensive but would keep the tongue clear for the AC and reduce tongue weight.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/lp-t...-regulator-?v=
https://www.amazon.com/Nashfuel-Prop.../dp/B00EP1T4J8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	large_299b3d51792b43fc4427f69d2d6d3387.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	369973  
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2020, 08:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Trailer Frame LP tank

Used a similar one years ago for a van conversion. I added an aluminum box for road debris protection on the leading end. Worked great. It delivered vapor only.

On my GMC van it stuck out 6” into the aluminum step on the passenger side for fill and valve access. I always wished the fill and vent were remote located.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I think that’s a great idea.
If LP was really that explosive the powers that be wouldn’t let any yahoo just swap out a tank at LowesDepot.

I’ve done far stupidier things with propane in ways that weren’t really meant for the application.
You would be a applying it in a manner it was intended.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:41 PM   #4
@steadystreamincashios

1968 28' Ambassador
1964 26' Overlander
1976 Argosy 26
Heber Springs , Arkansas
I really like the idea and see no problem at all with it. It’s intended to be mounted under a vehicle. How’s the trailer any different?
And the remote fill kit is nice as well
Zcashio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Years ago I converted a bus to a motorhome and had two 40lb tanks mounted on a steel frame that hinged down so I could get the tanks out for refilling. Had zero issues with the setup. Don't forget about how you are going to refill the tank, otherwise I like the idea. Good luck with it.
Ed
89Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:53 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The only downside is having the tank refilled. You will need to take the trailer to the LP gas supplier or have the supplier come to you.

Cheers,

John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote