Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2006, 10:40 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
On.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I "run" with the gas on for the fridge. I don't think I would try to run the furnace though. I just haven't thought of it and don't plan on camping in that type of weather.

My fridge is on the curb side and my fuel filler is on the street side. Since I get diesel and always go for the outter most island, that puts the fridge panel farthest from the nearest island. Plus, with a 30' trailer whose kitchen is midship (30' Safari has front bedroom, mid-salon, and rear bunks) and the diesel pump at most gas stations is at the very end of the island, the exterior fridge panel is usually quiet far from the nearest pump so I don't turn the fridge off before pumping. Even on calm days, any fumes would be so diffused that there should be no risk of ignition if the fridge should happen to light while fueling.

At truck stops, the islands are single pump arrangements so the entire trailer is at least 10 feet from the pump and the fridge panel is another 10 feet from that. Whenever possible I go for truck stops because they are easier to navigate in and out of.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #23
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
FWIW the standard Flamable Zone is 50' perimeter. I have seen video of a fire that was exacerbated by a lit RV fridge. A fire started on a vehicle that was refueling, possibly by static spark, the guy yanks the nozzle out of the vehicle without shutting it off, spewing raw gas around the pump island area, which in turn ignited the TT causing a pretty massive blaze. I tow with fridge on, and in very cold weather I do run the furnace too. I do pull to the side prior to refueling and shut the fridge down. But typically I try to refuel without the trailer attached if possible.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Off!

We cool the refrigerator with AC starting the day before a trip. That even works in AZ heat.
-KL
Old 11-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Tucson , Arizona
OFF----After the first night out the fridge stays cold, till we hit the next stop. turning off the gas before hitting the road is on our check list, the one we made after our first trip when we forgot to close the roof vents.
Only takes a min to click it back on after we stop, and if its going to be a long day on the road I can allways put the beer in the ice chest, and thats the most important thing after getting set up for the evening...
STREAMTEAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:11 PM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
FWIW the standard Flamable Zone is 50' perimeter. I have seen video of a fire that was exacerbated by a lit RV fridge. A fire started on a vehicle that was refueling, possibly by static spark, the guy yanks the nozzle out of the vehicle without shutting it off, spewing raw gas around the pump island area, which in turn ignited the TT causing a pretty massive blaze. I tow with fridge on, and in very cold weather I do run the furnace too. I do pull to the side prior to refueling and shut the fridge down. But typically I try to refuel without the trailer attached if possible.

Aaron
Well if you are going to pull the nozzle out with the gasoline still flowing, I'm going to run in the opposite direction and all bets are off. Every man, woman, and child (other than my own) for themselves! The guy cranking up at the next island could set that off! (That's within 50')
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote