Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Switching to 15 lb tanks from 30 lb

15 lb net to clarify

So our tongue weight on our 20FC is slightly exceeding our 700 lb TV limit, even with less than 50 lbs in storage under the FB, when the two tanks are full. By going to the 20 lb tanks we will be back under the limit.

We typically take two or three 6 week strips each spring and summer and have never completely used one of our 30 lb tanks, so two 20 lb should be adequate without even a need to refill.

I think the new Caravel or maybe just the Bambi has gone to 20 lb tanks, and that makes a lot of sense to me.

I bought new tanks to fill as the ones available at the exchange facility were very bad looking, complete with painted over rust flakes. So will not be going that route (exchange) for refills.

Made more sense I think to go to 2 tanks rather than just carry one 30 lb so that we can run the first tank empty with automatic switchover to second tank. Mulled that decision over a while.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
TV limit?

Your 2018 GMC Canyon with the V6 is rated to tow 7000 LBS. You should have around 1400/1500 LBS of cargo capacity. Check the yellow/black sticker in the driver door jamb. Not sure what you mean by being over the 700 LB mark on tongue weight. Depending on how your loaded you should easily handle more tongue weight.

On another note the factory supplied receiver on your truck is not rated to take a weight distribution hitch. Replace it with a much better and WD rated receiver from Curt or Draw Tite. Available from Etrailer. It is an easy switch you can do yourself. Take a look at the weight capacity sticker on your factory receiver and note that there is no separate set of weights for running WD hitch. You will be surprised at how much better the aftermarket receiver is. Happy travels.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Your 2018 GMC Canyon with the V6 is rated to tow 7000 LBS. You should have around 1400/1500 LBS of cargo capacity. Check the yellow/black sticker in the driver door jamb. Not sure what you mean by being over the 700 LB mark on tongue weight. Depending on how your loaded you should easily handle more tongue weight.

On another note the factory supplied receiver on your truck is not rated to take a weight distribution hitch. Replace it with a much better and WD rated receiver from Curt or Draw Tite. Available from Etrailer. It is an easy switch you can do yourself. Take a look at the weight capacity sticker on your factory receiver and note that there is no separate set of weights for running WD hitch. You will be surprised at how much better the aftermarket receiver is. Happy travels.
A couple of clarifications possibly.

-I replaced the factory hitch with a Curt for that very reason, but then GM informed me that the factory hitch is in fact rated for WD, no where does it say it is not, but it does not give two ratings (WD and not) like many hitches do. I still like the Curt better though, and it picks up 6 attachment points unlike some that only pick up 4.

-Although hitch rating is higher the truck rating is 770 tongue/7000 trailer. (had to look that up, so I was wrong about the 700), but that allows us more weight for storage under the bed in the AS now so logic of not carrying extra gas still stands.

-I have read from several sources (including the GMC owners manual) that even with use a WD hitch which of course transfers load to front axle and trailer axle I should still use the tongue weight at the trailer (as it sits prior to connection) relative to the max RAWR and tongue weight rating of the TV. Perhaps that is open to debate.

-You are correct that I have 1400-1500 lb payload (actually 1460 lb) as packed for camping we pretty much use that up. As many have noted we often use up our payload on our TV before we hit max trailering limit.

As a final note, our combination tows great, never had sway issues even with strong wind conditions. Very solid and smooth.