Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2021, 03:03 PM   #1

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Little Rock , Arkansas
Secondary propane tank emptied first.

I have a 2018 Flying Cloud, with dual propane tanks.

I normally draw from one tank at a time, and then manually switch the tanks by opening and closing valves. I haven't used the automatic crossover from primary to secondary tank feature. But with cold weather, I thought I would give it a try.

I opened the valves on both tanks, with the regulator/gauge switch pointing to the right tank, so that it would be the primary and empty first, then automatically switch the left tank. Noticed that after several days of cold weather with the heater coming on at night, that the right tank stayed Green, and never emptied.

On an hunch, I turned the switch to point to the left tank....the gauge immediately turned Red. I lifted the left tank, and yep, it was empty. The left tank, which was supposed to act as secondary, actually emptied first.

Any idea why this worked backwards to the way it is supposed to? Thanks!
mgodbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sykesville , Maryland
Interesting. Following.
mgblake13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Hey as long as it's working and switching between tanks, be happy!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum, and tanks for the question!

Just a guess, but your manual opening and closing of each tank may have "confused" -- or over-ridden -- the automatic switch-over system IMO. Suggest filling both tanks, put the arrow to one tank, and leave both valves open.

Keep a log of weather, and your propane usage, and watch for the indicator window to furn red.

If the empty tank is much lighter than the other at that time, the system would seem to be working.

An imperfect solution maybe . . . there are posts about adding after-market gauges etc. to the tanks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=prop...=airforums.com

Good luck.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Hey as long as it's working and switching between tanks, be happy!
Even tankful?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I have seen cases where if the tank the gauge was pointed away from was opened first the gauge acted as if the primary tank was empty and the secondary tank emptied and the valve didn't change over at all.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
when we picked up our AS the dealer told us to always "slowly" open the tank the regulator was pointing to first this was the primary tank and then open the secondary tank "slowly". This had something to do with how the system worked. So I would guess the system is a bit confused. I suggest you fill both tanks, then pick one as your first primary and follow what the dealer told me and monitor the tanks a see what happens.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:16 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
Following...need to know

Hoping for more replies, as I too am need into know. Thanks.
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:26 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Hampton , Illinois
Indicator?

Several years ago, after I got the AS returned from service, I found that the 'indictor' knob for LP didn't feel right. Some people seem to think that's the handle to turn the LP off/on. As a result, the fitting didn't feel right and I found that it was stripped pointed the wrong direction.
It could be the valving is correct and the knob it just pointed the wrong way.

Check it out.
bimmersbeercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:54 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Tank gauge works really well

Not sure why your tanks are not switching over as expected. Personally, I got tired of guessing what tank was what and what gas levels looked like. A simple way to address is by using a device sold by MOPEKA Products "TankCheck". No need to spend extra $$ on their little monitor. Just download the app on your smart phone and you are good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to the forum, and tanks for the question!

Just a guess, but your manual opening and closing of each tank may have "confused" -- or over-ridden -- the automatic switch-over system IMO. Suggest filling both tanks, put the arrow to one tank, and leave both valves open.

Keep a log of weather, and your propane usage, and watch for the indicator window to furn red.

If the empty tank is much lighter than the other at that time, the system would seem to be working.

An imperfect solution maybe . . . there are posts about adding after-market gauges etc. to the tanks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=prop...=airforums.com

Good luck.
hdeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:12 AM   #11
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgodbey View Post

I normally draw from one tank at a time, and then manually switch the tanks by opening and closing valves. I haven't used the automatic crossover from primary to secondary tank feature. But with cold weather, I thought I would give it a try.

I opened the valves on both tanks, with the regulator/gauge switch pointing to the right tank, so that it would be the primary and empty first, then automatically switch the left tank. Noticed that after several days of cold weather with the heater coming on at night, that the right tank stayed Green, and never emptied.

On an hunch, I turned the switch to point to the left tank....the gauge immediately turned Red. I lifted the left tank, and yep, it was empty. The left tank, which was supposed to act as secondary, actually emptied first.

The hoses are reversed on the regulator.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:21 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
I am not real familiar with the fuel level switch but was told that the switch is only used to check the fuel level in each tank. It doesn’t dictate which tank you are drawing off.
I open the passenger side first and then use the driver side tank. If I put the knob towards the opposite tank being used it doesn’t shut the fuel off to the trailer. The appliances continue to work. It just shows empty on the tank that is closed. I did my own test just to test the info I was given by the rv mechanic.
Just a thought.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Reno , Texas
hdietz is right! Get a Mopeka system; so easy to install and use. I got tired of waking up in the middle of the night with no heat in 30 degree weather because that funky red/green gauge failed to indicate one or both tanks were empty. Now I know exactly the level of propane in my tanks.
missaviatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
The switch valve can be confusing at first. Imagine that you are positioned in front of the valve with your back against the trailer; if you imagine the front of the valve as a clock face, then it is the lower part, i.e. the "6" on the clock face, that you turn towards the left or towards the right to select the tank that will be emptied first and which will show a red indicator when emptied.

In addition, when opening the valves on the tank (open both, that is why we have a switch valve), do so very slowly or else there is a security mechanism in the valve that will prevent the gas from coming out of the tank if the valve is opened to quickly. This is true for all "modern" propane tanks.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:51 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
On ours...whatever side the valve handle is on indicates the one being used....UNLESS it's empty and the changeover is doing its job.
...I prefer not turning the second tank on.
That way I'll know for sure and WON'T run out unexpectedly after burning thru both.
POI...On 'Cloudsplitter" the inside panel has always been pretty accurate plus the tanks themselves have their own gauges.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	328709AE-5384-4A57-A7A5-793F20DFB571_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	388315   Click image for larger version

Name:	7A975ABE-9B7F-417F-A278-838DB7C7861C_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	388316  

Old 02-08-2021, 11:18 PM   #16
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Be sure and open your tank valves very slowly. Otherwise, the automatic safety shut off will activate making you think the tank is empty or something is defective. If that happens merely close the offending tank and reopen slowly. I still swear by Marshal regulators especially the HD models. I hope this helps.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:44 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
Neptune Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgodbey View Post

The gauge selection is independent from the valve position. In order to select a tank just shut off the tank you DO NOT want to draw from while you light the stove or draw a bit of propane. This will position the valve on the tank you want to draw from. Then open the other tank. It will switch to that tank when the primary one is empty.

NN
NascarNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
My experience is it only works left to right, not back?
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote