Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everwhere , Traveling
Ripping a furnace out - help please!

I got a little demolition happy when I got my Airstream home from the repair shop last week (heres my original post i've been hiding out in http://www.airforums.com/forums/f108...ry-122235.html) & decided I could not stand my old 1958 original wall heater any longer so I got to removing it and you can see the mess I made below..

The issue is the propane line still attached. I have my propane turned off for now, of course, but I'd like to completely remove this line and turn that space into a small cabinet/extra wall space instead.
It seems theres only one line coming from the propane tanks though so, it must be being split (under the floor?) between the stove and furnace and fridge.. and water heater too, I think?

Any ideas what to do next without blowing anything up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0773.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	224527   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0772.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	224528  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0774.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	224529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5195.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	224530  

AussieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Have you followed the propane line down through the floor and out the belly pan? You should able to unscrew the line where it t's off the main line. You can now cap off the line.
Nice looking trailer. Good luck Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everwhere , Traveling
Thanks for the reply Mike, that goes a little above my head.. all I have done is remove the unit (up to where it is in the picture) & take a guess at what might be going on (given the single connection at the propane tank). No clue how to access the belly man or get under the floor but I'm hoping not to have to take it back to a restoration shop again

Are you thinking for sure it can't be dealt with without going in there?
AussieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
The copper propane line should go straight through the floor and belly pan. You can do it. Should take a 3/4 wrench to loosen the flare nut.
Take a look at it and you'll see how Easy it is.
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Girl, that furnace looks like a rusty hulk. I think you made a wise decision to remove it. I had a '71 Caravel 18 many years ago, and its furnace's heat exchanger had numerous rusted pinholes in it, which allowed combustion byproducts to get into the room air. Big CO (carbon monoxide) risk!

The propane plumbing on our '71 was all exposed beneath the belly pan. And poorly done, with many kinks, i might add. You should be able to see the copper tubing coming through the pan below the area where the heater was, and you can probably find all the tees down there for the furnace, galley stove and water heater. it would be safer to remove the piece that feeds the furnace rather than leaving it and capping it inside the trailer. As mentioned, removing the flare fitting at the tee and replacing it with a cap should be pretty straightforward. A flare cap would be easy to find at a hardware store. Be sure to get a copper "flare washer" to put inside the cap. That will give you a good seal between the cap and the tee. Using a brass cap on a brass tee without the softer copper washer could result in a leak. Good luck!
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote