Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2022, 09:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Retrofit 30lb tanks to 20lb Experience

Has anyone changed from the dual 30lb tanks to 20? If so, what is needed to go down to that size, just the center rod? The reason I'm thinking about this is my age and back. It's tough lugging them around for refills. I'm not interested in other options. If you have done this, please let me know what is needed. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
That's one route, and it will indeed help. If you currently have steel tanks, another route is to change them out for aluminum ones of the same size. They're a LOT lighter.
Lynn
Old 10-21-2022, 08:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
You could get a pipe to go between the hold down piece and the cover and nut.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 08:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
A good point, it is not just the tank hold down, but how the cover is dependent on the 30 lb tanks. Unless you want to lose the cover and go plastic or naked???? The current cover on your model has the cover on top of the tank hold down.....so going shorter means the cover will bounce around, if I envision it right from my trailer.
Best of luck figuring it out....
From past life I have found propane distributors who can fill on your unit....i.e. motorhomes? Maybe keep you tanks and find a place to fill while on your trailer?
Feeling my age I am with you....
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I feel your pain - literally. I have a birthday coming up and am going to give myself two 30 gallon aluminum tanks, polish them, and jettison the cover! I'll keep the steel tanks in the shed and have them filled to 20 lbs because I always run dry at 3:00 am or on a holiday.
As far as refills there are options:
when traveling use truck stops, (and wear a sling or have crutches... and TIP the gas passer with cash)
You could ask your gas passer to only put 20 lbs in your 30 lb tanks, and buy 1 spare.
Ask the campground.if they have a.pickup and deliver service - it is usually a big premium, but cheaper than prescription muscle relaxers [emoji854].
I am at a seasonal.campground. Some folks here have 250 lb tanks and get commercial delivery. I should.call and see if they would top off my small tanks during a regular delivery if I open an account.

K
Old 10-26-2022, 01:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
I switched from 30 to 20 lb tanks.

Replaced the center rod with a fully threaded rod of the same length to accommodate cover hold down. Factory rod not threaded enough to drop the regulator down to match the height of the shorter tanks. Or use a die to extend threading to the existing rod. Will also need another wing nut for lower tank hold down (I use a nut). Note, there will be additional slack in the hose going from the regulator to the trailer you will have to deal with.

Going to a 30 lb aluminum tank will only shave a bit less than 7 lb, according to Worthington (16.5 tare vs 23.3)

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 01:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6518.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	424587
Old 10-26-2022, 01:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Another advantage of 20 lb tanks is the proliferation of tank exchange locations, especially when not near a refiller or they are closed.

Be aware, tank exchanges short fill their tanks for “safety” purposes and make sure you are not getting one close to expiration.

Tare weight for a 20 lb steel tank is the same as a 30 lb aluminum and the steel tank is much cheaper.

Greg
Old 10-26-2022, 01:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
When I rebuilt my 1969 25’ Airstream I removed the entire propane system lines and all . I never got around to replacing it .

My water heater has an electric heating element along with the propane burner, the electric heating element works great and keeps us in hot water .

I was going to install a new furnace but instead just use a ceramic cube electric heater it keeps us warm even when the outside temperature drops into the high 30’s .
Of course we only go to full hook up sites … after all we’re Glampers !

We do have a 10# propane bottle for the BBQ & fire pit .

We of course have a microwave and crockpot and electric skillet and toaster oven .

My point being if your water heater has an electric element use it instead of propane same for the refer and think electric heating when at full hook up’s your propane will last for a year or more that way and you might even get down to 1 20# tank .

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
One suggestion if you want to save weight and it does not necessitate changing the tanks, is just ask them not to fill the 30 lb. tank. Only fill 1/2 to 2/3 full. This will save a little over 4 lbs. per gallon per tank that you don't fill.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote