Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Replacing main LPG line from regulator

Replacing main LPG propane line from regulator to branch T on ’64 Safari.

Mine is a bit flattened in spots (due to Alcan highway and gravel roads).

From the regulator the line drops straight down then has a 540 degree (1 & ½ turns) loop then runs back about 7 feet under belly pan to branch T, one-piece hard copper tubing the entire length.

I assume the loop is to absorb shock & allow flex.

Also installing Fisher egulator from newer AS. It had a flex hose attached.

In replacing the main line should it be the same hard copper tubing (double flared at ends) the entire length or would it be better to install a 2 foot or so flexible rubber LPG hose from regulator to new hard line union?

Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Rodents especially love the rubber compounds in flex gas line - I don't believe I would risk 40, 60 or more pounds of propane being loosed anywhere from a squirrel with the munchies...
Old 10-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Rodents don't really like rubber, but they will chew through it to get to the propane.

I've seen a gang of them splayed out under a propane tank after huffing propane all night. They also use it to make acorn meth. The police have no idea how to deal with the problem. They tried sending in some undercover chipmunks, but the squirrels got them all high on propane and then lit them up. A flaming chipmunk ran under the porch and lit the dog's blanket on fire; we were lucky the whole house didn't catch fire.

I'd definitely run any rubber hoses inside a flexible metal jacket.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 17' Caravel
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Follow the code...

The Natioinal Fire Protection Code NFPA 1192 and the other codes is references goven the work you would like to undertake in replacing the gas lines. This code (and most codes for that matter) are built on best engineering practices and on the lessons learned from many tragic events.

In installing a new gas line you should follow the code and install new copper piping under the trailer then transition to a hose approved for LPG service to connect to the regulator and to connect the regulator to the tanks. Make sure that you also install an electrical bond between the copper line and the chassis of your trailer.

If you have any propane lines that run inside of walls of your trailer, now would be an exellent time to abandon them and seal them off. If you need them to opperate applinces that you still use, run new lines that are accessible and run through walls and floors only at right angles. A hidden leak could ruin your entire aftenoon!

Brett
http://www.TimelesTravelTrailers.com
Brett - TTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:41 AM   #5
Retired Navy Submariner

1993 25' Excella
Ellicott City , MD
On a 1993 Airstream Classic 25, should the piping between and below the fisher regulator be high pressure rubber? It is about 14 1/2 inches long and 3/8 inch ID. Also, should I replace it with a flexible copper tube. It bends 90 degrees and joined the fisher regulator with a male end and a copper 90 degree elbow with a female end. I would also like to attach a connection somewhere for a BBQ grill. However, with the current regulator mounting very low near the A-Frame there isn't much room for piping downstream of the regulator. Many thanks!!
frone is offline   Reply With Quote