Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Unhappy Regulator didn't switch over

Brand new FC 28. I've been in it a week. Just using stove top but did do a lasagna in the oven which was at 400 degrees for about 2 hours. Tonight the stovetop burner wouldn't light. I checked the propane tanks and the indicator was still green. I manually switched to the reserve tank and the burner turned on.
I thought the regulator should switch over automatically when a tank is empty and show red. That didn't happen. It also seems I used up a full tank of propane (assuming it is actually empty) which is odd unless using the oven can empty it that quickly. I didn't use the furnace and the frig is on AC.
Any ideas. Do I have a bad regulator? Anything else it could be?
Thanks in advance.
BTW, if it is a bad regulator, is this something I can replace myself or do I have to tow it to a service center? It is under warranty of course, being just a week old.

Richard
whitegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The way it is supposed to work is when the selected tank is empty the indicator goes to red, indicating that the tank the lever says you are on is empty, but it switches over to the other tank. When you throw the lever, the indicator goes green. If the indicator was green but you had no propane at the stove, the switchover unit is probably bad. This is different from, but attached to the regulator. Contact your dealer. Maybe they will ship you a replacement or authorize replacement at a non-Airstream dealer near you.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Did you have both of the valves open?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Aston , Pennsylvania
I have a 2015. The regulator will switch over... But not click red. How did I find that out? When it was 10 degrees in Golden, CO. Kept checking regulator day and night... Green. Then it got REALLY cold in the airstream. Went and lifted both tanks and both were empty.

The red indicator works for me about 25% of the time. Will be getting it replaced when I get home. Don't trust the indicator.
BASE729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:36 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
The way it is supposed to work is when the selected tank is empty the indicator goes to red, indicating that the tank the lever says you are on is empty, but it switches over to the other tank. When you throw the lever, the indicator goes green. If the indicator was green but you had no propane at the stove, the switchover unit is probably bad. This is different from, but attached to the regulator. Contact your dealer. Maybe they will ship you a replacement or authorize replacement at a non-Airstream dealer near you.

Al
Thanks. Do you think the oven being on could have depleted the tank so fast? Is the indicator still being green with a presumably empty tank an indication that it's the switchover unit?
Old 01-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Another variable is that one or both of your tanks were not full to start with. Call the dealer and ask for advice/replacement parts.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:21 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Did you have both of the valves open?
Yes, of course.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
When ours went bad, Airstream sent a replacement unit and we installed it ourselves. We are still under warranty. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The oven doesn't use much. Don't think you could empty a 30# tank in a week unless you had the furnace running a lot.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am not sure that the propane tanks come full from the factory. I think, but not positive that they have to be filled by the dealer, so you may have empty tanks.

The dealer should have filled them pre delivery.

The switchover operates on tank pressure, if both were low or empty, it may not happen.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I would pull the tank and lift/shake it to see if it seems empty.

Not likely your problem, but I noticed you're in Ohio. Been cold lately? If some moisture gets in the system, it can freeze and impact regulator function. Not common, but I had it happen once.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:33 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
I would pull the tank and lift/shake it to see if it seems empty.

Not likely your problem, but I noticed you're in Ohio. Been cold lately? If some moisture gets in the system, it can freeze and impact regulator function. Not common, but I had it happen once.
Actually, we're in Lakeland Florida at the moment.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:53 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Some 2016 Airstream trailers have an LP regulator/changeover valve that are under recall, as they do strange and not-so-wonderful things. The regulator in question really doesn't have a red indicator, the green indicator still is visible, it just drops into the assembly.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:04 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
The switch over function is basically a pressure sensing device that senses the pressure in the lines on each side. If you open the valve on the standby tank first the regulator can become "confused" and not "see" the low pressure on the tank in use. This is easy to do when you arrive at your rv site after traveling. Bottom line is don't be too sure your regulator is bad. Too many variables at this point. Have both tanks filled, hook them back up; select your running tank on the selector, then open that tanks valve first, then the standby tank. Indicator should show green. Then close the running tanks valve and turn your stove on. Regulator should see low pressure on the "running" tank and switch to the standby and the indicator should turn red. If it does it is working.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
pattydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:02 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Smile Fixed???

So I removed both tanks and weighed them. The main tank still had plenty of propane and the reserve tank was just about full. So I switched tanks and pointed the switch over to the tank that had not been working and lo and behold, the stove top lit up just fine. So I shut off the valve on the main tank, the indicator went to red, and the flame on the stove kept burning indicating that the switchover had worked perfectly.
So I'm not sure what could have been wrong last night. I did read somewhere on the internet that someone had done the same thing - switching tanks and somehow everything righted itself.
Weird. But of course I'm relieved. It's starting to get cold even here in central Florida.

Richard
Old 01-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Thanks - I didn''t know that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattydoug View Post
The switch over function is basically a pressure sensing device that senses the pressure in the lines on each side. If you open the valve on the standby tank first the regulator can become "confused" and not "see" the low pressure on the tank in use. This is easy to do when you arrive at your rv site after traveling. Bottom line is don't be too sure your regulator is bad. Too many variables at this point. Have both tanks filled, hook them back up; select your running tank on the selector, then open that tanks valve first, then the standby tank. Indicator should show green. Then close the running tanks valve and turn your stove on. Regulator should see low pressure on the "running" tank and switch to the standby and the indicator should turn red. If it does it is working.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
I haven't had the problem, but now that I know the sequence, hopefully I can avoid it.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
One more thing.......I read where it was important to open the valves slowly. I can't remember the reason but it was something like....opening the valve to the tank increases the pressure to the regulator quickly and can cause problems.

Has anyone else heard of this?

And, I didn't mean to insult you when I asked if your spare tank's valve was open. There are many "common sense" things out there that are not so clear to some new owners. I am glad that your system is working.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes, with the OPD valves we use today there is an emergency shutdown feature, too fast a flow, the valve shuts off.

When you first connect the tank, if you open it fast and completely, the rapid flow may make the valve think there is a line break and shut off the tank.

So, when you connect a new or newly refilled tank, open the valve slowly, to allow the pressure to build up but not fast enough so the tank valve safety feature activates.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:05 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
One more thing.......I read where it was important to open the valves slowly. I can't remember the reason but it was something like....opening the valve to the tank increases the pressure to the regulator quickly and can cause problems.

Has anyone else heard of this?

And, I didn't mean to insult you when I asked if your spare tank's valve was open. There are many "common sense" things out there that are not so clear to some new owners. I am glad that your system is working.
No offense taken. I know that sometimes the silliest things cause problems And I too have read that opening a tank too fast locks it out.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #20
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
I had a similar problem with the regulator. While in 7 degree iced over conditions we ran out of propane at 3AM. The regulator never changed to red and had both tanks open. So I purchased a 1500 watt portable space heater.

We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote