Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Refrigerator Pilot (how long must I..)

I came home today to find my propane had gone out while I ws away at work...darn! But I was able to shoot down to the Parks office and have a tank filled. So, first thing I do is light the pilot in the oven. Next I have to lay down on the floor with my face looking under the fridge, and I depress this red button and hold it....and..hold it.....and hold it some more. All the while I am flicking the sparker that goes up in there. I know it takes a while for propane to get down those lines and there may be air pockets. But should I continue to hold the button down to keep bleeding it out? Or can I take a break and write questions like this one on the forums. I have this set in instant email reply so some one say what I should best be doing...I am just wondering does the line fill up by itself or do I need to be holding the button?
Old 01-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
After running out of propane, try lighting the appliance farthest from the tanks. At a minimum, light one of the stove burners, I find that usually works well enough. Or, if you have an electronic ignition furnace or water heater, turn them on for a minute or so. But your '70 may not have those things.

The red button on the refrigerator will essentially bypass the safety thermocouple and allow it to reset. Once the burner in the refrigerator has lighted, you only need to hold the button down for about 30 seconds more. Any further pressing will do nothing. The 30 seconds is to heat up the thermocouple safety system. Once the flame stays on without the button depressed, you are good to go.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I am still taking my break from laying on the floor. The only two things I light in here is the oven pilot and the fridge. Everything else I keep dormant. I wish something down there was electronic! I have done this routine for years by lighting it laying down on the floor. Are there are others who lay on the floor too I wonder. Thanks for talking with me about it while I do it...I will patiently wait for the familiar 'PHOMM!' of it lighting ha Thanks
Old 01-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I don't think you'll bleed much air out of the lines very rapidly by lighting the pilot light. You need to fire off one or two burners on the stove to adequately bleed the lines. I wouldn't keep holding down the bleeder button on the fridge until you bleed the rest of the lines.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Yeah, in the B190, I would always light the stove to bleed the lines, then the fridge would usually start within a few seconds.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
On my counter space I have one juicer, a Sharper image convection oven, and right on top of the stove is a microwave sitting on a round piece of table glass. Thats why I can't get to the stove jets. I have never ever used the stove in here. Just appliances. But the good news is that I finally got the pilot to light! I just wanted some one to talk to while I was doing it. Thankyou for your support. I think my biggest worry was the flint would run out in the striker.