Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2018, 01:34 PM   #41

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
Recently went to have my tanks re-certified and was charged $45 per tank.
After a bit of discussion, the price was dropped to $20 per.

I had the work done in Pa and my recollection was that they were certified for only 2 more years.

Long story short, youre probably better off waiting for a good sale (just bought my new ones at Tractor supply for $52) then recertifying.

MD, the process for removing is basic and simple. As others have said they do get heavy, but the only one caution which i have been given is to ensure that the cylinder remains in a vertical orientation while transporting. I use a milk crate and put the base of the tank in the crate, then strap the tank to the truck bed wall.
According to a PA government website, as of 2013 PA adopted the federal standard for re-certification, which is 5 years. I don't know what it was before. At $20/5 yrs, the re-certification is worth it cash-wise, but the convenience of going 12 more years without hassle (or Tractor Supply being more convenient than the re-certifying propane dealer) might make it worth the extra couple of bucks.

The last ones I had re-certified were aluminum and I think it was $12.50 per (in Fort Worth, TX) so it was definitely worth it.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:39 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
$12 last month here.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:29 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Thanks David. I still have the tanks so will take another look.

The business handled mostly welding equipment and was the closest I could find that would re-certify the tanks, plus a 45 min drive each way (x2) for drop off and pick up.
All said, it really made no sense considering time, gas and cost of inspection vs buying new ones.
Everyones circumstances will vary though.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
I got a handful of 20# cylinders for free or $5 each used so I don’t have to “refill”, I just fill in advance and swap. I had one cylinder that had expired but just did an exchange on a Blue Rhino instead of recertification, that was $20 with 3/4 full and I got a new cylinder manufactured a couple of months ago.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:47 AM   #45
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you dig into the price of 40 lb aluminum cylinders with the electronic level "senders" on them .... yikes !! ... you *will* drive a good long ways to get those re-certified rather than toss them out .... last price I saw was > $600 a tank ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote