Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2021, 06:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Recycle/Refill your 1 pound LP tanks

Using a 20lb BBQ LP tank to refill and reuse your small LP tanks for outdoor grills or heaters.
Saves lots of $$$

suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
I've converted most of my propane stuff to run off my trailers low pressure port and those that I can't convert, I'm using a hose extension and a 20lb tank. I won't use the 1lb green bottles anymore.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
I got tired of dealing with regulators that failed at the most awkward times on my Q grill and converted it to run directly from the A-S supplied low pressure port. Most other campsite appliances use too much fuel to run off the green toy bottles.
There have been many amusing (for a vicarious reader) posts on this forum about what happens when the process goes wrong. And those are just from the members that lived to tell the tale...
Why take chances? There are 5 and 11 pound cylinders available at the big box stores. Our local RV dealer, as well as Tractor Supply, charges by the pound, regardless of amount put in the tank. More convenient and WAYYY safer.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 12:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
If you take the time to read the label on ANY disposable propane bottle, you will note that it is against the law to refill the bottles. The reason is these cheap bottles are filled very precisely by automated machines to an exact weight.

Any slight overfill will lead to excess propane in the bottle, and put it at a higher pressure, which can cause the bottle to swell or burst. In other words, refilling creates a bomb. Not a wise thing to do.

Bottom line, it’s a totally stupid dangerous thing to do.

You want refillable small bottles, buy a real, properly designed refillable bottle with a proper fill valve or ‘ten percent’ valve built in to fill it properly. This practice is one of those that seems safe, until it isn’t, usually results in an explosion or a fire.

I really get tired of seeing d*mn fools espouse dangerous and illegal practices on assorted media….
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
If you take the time to read the label on ANY disposable propane bottle, you will note that it is against the law to refill the bottles. The reason is these cheap bottles are filled very precisely by automated machines to an exact weight.

Any slight overfill will lead to excess propane in the bottle, and put it at a higher pressure, which can cause the bottle to swell or burst. In other words, refilling creates a bomb. Not a wise thing to do.

You want refillable small bottles, buy a real, properly designed refillable bottle with a proper fill valve or ‘ten percent’ valve built in to fill it properly. This practice is one of those that seems safe, until it isn’t, usually results in an explosion or a fire.

I really get tired of seeing d*mn fools espouse dangerous and illegal practices on assorted media….
------------------------------
The only 1 lb bottle I have seen claiming it is refillable is Flame King and I believe they are in recall for a welding problem. Flame King has an entire refill kit available (but not available - maybe do to supply chain issues?). We purchase the Coleman brand bottle and discard. Also using just any hose right off a tank without a regulator in front of it is another issue worth research. If you use an item like a ceramic heater the wrong hose will cause failure from oil getting squeezed out (hose expands then contracts with pressure) of the hose material clogging the heating unit. Let's also agree it is dangerous to run an air driven impact tool off a propane tank People suggest some crazy things on assorted media.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:

Actually the labels say it's illegal to transport a bottle that has been refilled.

Still i agree not worth refilling those bottle.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:44 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I refill the one pounder's until they fail the bubble test, usually 3-4 times.

POI I've never had an overfill problem when bleed filling from our Barbecue tank, they usually fill to just under 3/4lb.
I think it may be impossible to overfill without a pump.🤔

BTW....The 'tank inspector shows up at my site and asks to see all my 'legal' 1lb tanks, how's he 'gonn'a know the ones I've refilled 3 times?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-21-2021, 12:35 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Petaluma , California
So, let me see if I can follow the logic....spend $70-$100+K on an Airstream, $70-$80K on a TV and it's the best thing to do is refill $5 LP bottles and use scrap lumber for pads....gotta think on that....
TinShanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
FlameKing makes a dot compliant refillable 1 pound bottle (and refill kit)but the disposable tanks... no.

Good reading here: https://www.rvtravel.com/why-you-sho...ane-cylinders/

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I use Flame King 1 lb. refillable bottles on my Weber Q grill by using the Flame King kit and I am having no problems at all. I kept having problems with hoses and the 20 lb. tank on the Weber but 1 lb. tanks work fine. I got tired of the rising prices on Coleman lb. bottles and went the other route. I do use a 20 lb. tank with a Buddy heater/filter or an Olympian Wave 6 heater without problems. I also use a 6" x 6" x 12" chunk off a barn post under my trailer jack with perfect results. These work for me.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
...converted it to run directly from the A-S supplied low pressure port.
...Tractor Supply, charges by the pound, regardless of amount put in the tank.
^1 on TS and AS low pressure port.

A 20-foot propane hose (as previously mentioned) replaced the 20# propane tank.

There was a Tractor Supply in about every moderately-sized town we passed through this fall.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:26 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I ditched the 1 lb bottles when I bought my Q, Instead I carry a small 11 lb bottle with a long hose. Works great with the Q and gives me a lot of flexibility as to where I cook!

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:32 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Quote:

I think RMKrum wants to speak with a manager...
DonRich7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:02 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinShanty View Post
So, let me see if I can follow the logic....spend $70-$100+K on an Airstream, $70-$80K on a TV and it's the best thing to do is refill $5 LP bottles and use scrap lumber for pads....gotta think on that....

Don't hurt the brain locker...TETO.

The Airstreamers Credo...
“If you’re happy with what you’re doing…it’s good.
If other people are unhappy….it’s not”
RLC

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-21-2021, 03:08 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
^1 on TS and AS low pressure port.

A 20-foot propane hose (as previously mentioned) replaced the 20# propane tank.

There was a Tractor Supply in about every moderately-sized town we passed through this fall.

+2...the low pressure port is great and we are big fans of Tractor Supply.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I looked into a 5 pound tank and the price was $115!
I can go through a lot of green bottles for $115.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:37 AM   #17
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:

You actually read directions?

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:27 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
My 30 lb. cylinders have both expired but one was still full. I looked at buying a new one a couple years ago and the price wasn't much above a 20 lb. Now the price is about 50% higher plus the tank needs to be purged before filling, which is an extra charge. I took the empty one to our local LP gas place and they did a swap out, like Blue Rhino does. The guy said "are you sure it's expired?" because the tank looked in good condition. He checked the date and agreed. I got another one that was full but it looked like it had been through the wringer. For $39 I'm not complaining... too much, but I'll be using that one first.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 01:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
You actually read directions?

It’s been known to happen in a moment of weakness. I still keep my ‘man card’ handy.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 05:08 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
If you look at different outlets I found some as low a $50. I think I paid about $20 for my 11 lb tank many years ago. Average I have seen in this part of the country is about $65. Funny that the 20lb tank actually is priced as low as $32. I've save a lot of $$ over the years cooking with that tank rather than the disposables.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote