Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2022, 06:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I have no problem carrying a 20 pound tank so I can set my Weber Q away from the camper and not bother with the external propane line. Then during our last trip to Fort Wilderness of all places, we returned to the camper and had the strong smell of propane. The hose from my 20 pound tank to the grill had been chewed thru by some rodent and was leaking. Luckily they had the 1 pound bottles at the camp store. I still have 5 or 6 of them around and now I'm just refiling them from a 20 pound bottle and taking them with me. It's really no big deal and a lot easier to wrangle.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:57 AM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I agree. The 11 lb tank I use is quite convent and also like the ability to move my Q around to take advantage of shade, or wind direction or other factors. I use the cart built for the Q as a base for it.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:04 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I agree. The 11 lb tank I use is quite convent and also like the ability to move my Q around to take advantage of shade, or wind direction or other factors. I use the cart built for the Q as a base for it.

Jack
I keep going back and forth on the 11 pound tanks. This one is $80 on Amazon. Problem is getting it filled. There's a lot fewer places to get them refilled around me these days

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YS...s%2C124&sr=8-1
Old 01-13-2022, 06:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
I keep going back and forth on the 11 pound tanks. This one is $80 on Amazon. Problem is getting it filled. There's a lot fewer places to get them refilled around me these days

The propane tank prices have really jumped up last year. There is a Tractor Supply in Orlando. Have you tried there? I've taken new tanks to TSC near me to be purged and filled; great service
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:49 PM   #25

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post

Most Ace Hardware, or Tractor Supply locations around our area offer refill services.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Most Ace Hardware, or Tractor Supply locations around our area offer refill services.
Our closest Ace does not advertise filling propane bottles. But they did have an 11 pound cylinder advertised as available for in-store pick up so I went to get one. Low and behold they not only had the baby cylinder, they do refill propane. Now I know!
Old 01-15-2022, 06:54 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
My 30 lb. cylinders have both expired but one was still full. I looked at buying a new one a couple years ago and the price wasn't much above a 20 lb. Now the price is about 50% higher plus the tank needs to be purged before filling, which is an extra charge. I took the empty one to our local LP gas place and they did a swap out, like Blue Rhino does. The guy said "are you sure it's expired?" because the tank looked in good condition. He checked the date and agreed. I got another one that was full but it looked like it had been through the wringer. For $39 I'm not complaining... too much, but I'll be using that one first.

It’s easy to get propane tanks re-certified, NYS used to have a purging charge which they have done away with several years ago. I had an older Ducane barbecue grill that had a specialty propane connector that snapped on and off, I trashed the grill and because of that valve brought it to the local transfer station, they charged me $5 to dispose of the out of date tank.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
It’s easy to get propane tanks re-certified, NYS used to have a purging charge which they have done away with several years ago. I had an older Ducane barbecue grill that had a specialty propane connector that snapped on and off, I trashed the grill and because of that valve brought it to the local transfer station, they charged me $5 to dispose of the out of date tank.
I have learned that Airgas, where I did the exchange, doesn't certify tanks in Lexington. Their fee is normally $22 and then the cost of the propane. To me, they're just propane tanks, hidden by the cover. They took my old tank and gave me a filled tank that was still certified for $39. It saves me the cost of certification and the price for a new 30 lb. tank.

On that Ducane grill, are you talking about he quick disconnect? My Weber from 1998 has that. You can't get that model of 20 lb. tank but you can buy the adapter to screw into the new model of tank. I don't know where I got mine but I found this on Amazon. It's supposed to be a one time modification but I have been able to remove it and install on a new tank.
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Pro...dp/B000AMC5XI/

We have a local company that will take your old expired tank, no charge. Win some, lose some.
Attached Images

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:40 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
I have learned that Airgas, where I did the exchange, doesn't certify tanks in Lexington. Their fee is normally $22 and then the cost of the propane. To me, they're just propane tanks, hidden by the cover. They took my old tank and gave me a filled tank that was still certified for $39. It saves me the cost of certification and the price for a new 30 lb. tank.

On that Ducane grill, are you talking about he quick disconnect? My Weber from 1998 has that. You can't get that model of 20 lb. tank but you can buy the adapter to screw into the new model of tank. I don't know where I got mine but I found this on Amazon. It's supposed to be a one time modification but I have been able to remove it and install on a new tank.
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Pro...dp/B000AMC5XI/

We have a local company that will take your old expired tank, no charge. Win some, lose some.

The Ducane brand grill was bought out by Weber Grills, I had it since early 90’s couldn’t get parts any longer and a very minor steel support disintegrated and would no longer support the stainless steel grate ( should have kept the grate, oops! ). On the quick connect you posted, that’s the one. Unfortunately the tank was full of propane, the person at the transfer station said he would hold on to it, someone would show up that could use it, last year I had the tank re-certified, it’s good for quite a few years, so my loss of propane and tank, oh well!, but it will be someone’s gain and live on.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote