RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-20-2021, 08:53 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I recall reading in my refrigerator manual something about the fridge automatically turning off the gas for 15 minutes or so when the tow vehicle shuts off when being towed. Purpose for refuelling. This would mean they intend the fridge be running on propane while driving.

I'm also pretty confident that 99% of RV'rs drive with propane on, unaware of the teeny teeny tiny risk. Probably the same reason why 99.9% people don't bother wearing hardhats all day to avoid falling asteroids.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:34 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorguy View Post
The risk is NOT Manageable, you are not in control of a sudden accident that can lead to a FIRE from Propane! It like walking across a frozen lake with Thin Ice, you can't manage when you are going to fall through. Would you pay Russian Rouelle, I don't think so. You want to argue with the Insurance Companies' statistics, not me.
..not completely true...do your valve research...a line breaks..the valve senses this and reducing the gas flow..ours has been on since 1970 keeping the groceries cool...np problems
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:37 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by djabl View Post
I do not have a strong opinion.
But, when I asked my master technician, he told me that he has seen many Airstreams that had a fire start from the flame on the refrigerator getting fanned in the perfect way. Of course he was the one to fix the damage which he described as significant. In the context of that, it makes me lean towards turning off the gas and freezing the contents of the Refrig and Freezer ahead of time to get you through a long travel day.
...look at what you have..small.flame being fanned? If it was fanned it would go out...
Old 02-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
We run with the propane valves open to keep the refrigerator temperature constant. I have never really worried about it so naturally this is a call you will have to make. Saw this and just might give it a try this season----GasStop Gas Safety Shut- Just not sure if it will fit in the propane tank cover. https://store.airstreamlife.com/prod...eid=115ad90d94

Good luck!
WBCCI #6826
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:58 PM   #65
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorguy View Post
The risk is NOT Manageable, you are not in control of a sudden accident that can lead to a FIRE from Propane! It like walking across a frozen lake with Thin Ice, you can't manage when you are going to fall through. Would you pay Russian Rouelle, I don't think so. You want to argue with the Insurance Companies' statistics, not me.
....."I've enjoyed all of this I can stand!"

Think I'll try some 'Russian Rouelle', hope it's not too HOT.🥵

Bob...GOF
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcknobel View Post

One more thing--fridges should be level and one manual I read discussed how the flame must be level as well and if the flame tilts too much, the refrigerator will shut off and require a reset or something like that. If one is driving steep mountain roads, not sure that flame is going to be level.
About a half dozen years ago I read the Dometic manual that came with the trailer regarding the issue of traveling with the fridge on. The manual clearly stated that the refrigerator need not be level when traveling as the motion of the trailer will prevent any issue with the absorption fridge being blocked. This implies that Dometic is fine with leaving the fridge on when traveling. No word about the flame being tilted.

84,000 km. on the trailer and no issues.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:21 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
IME most RV fires (on the highway) involve Motorhomes, usually Class As, and they usually start in the engine compartment. (Anyone other than me ever notice all the burnt pavement spots on the shoulder of the freeways, especially on steep grades?)

Odds are there are travel trailers that have caught fire when being towed but Ive never seen it. Ill stick with towing a well engineered travel trailer (which I believe Airstream builds).
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
About a half dozen years ago I read the Dometic manual that came with the trailer regarding the issue of traveling with the fridge on. The manual clearly stated that the refrigerator need not be level when traveling as the motion of the trailer will prevent any issue with the absorption fridge being blocked. This implies that Dometic is fine with leaving the fridge on when traveling. No word about the flame being tilted.

84,000 km. on the trailer and no issues.
has Dometic changed anything in fridge from "half dozen years ago" to now? if not, then that is good news for us! I will check my 2019 Dometic fridge to see if its fine to leave it on while traveling.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:30 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
I checked California DMV RV and Trailers Handbook... the law does not prohibit use of propane while towing. I rechecked the DMV website.. same thing.

I looked at my 2019 Dometic Fridge manual... no recommendation not to use propane while towing.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:00 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
I checked California DMV RV and Trailers Handbook... the law does not prohibit use of propane while towing. I rechecked the DMV website.. same thing.

I looked at my 2019 Dometic Fridge manual... no recommendation not to use propane while towing.
They like the rocking and shaking...