Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2002, 03:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Propane Tanks - New OPD Needed?

I just purchased a 1979 31' Airstream that came with 2 x 40 gal. propane tanks. The tanks are not fitted with the OPD which is apparently required on 40 gal tanks or smaller. Can I have a new regulator with the OPD installed by an RV dealer on the tanks? The gentleman that I purchased the trailer from said that the new OPD's run about $18.00 each. Thanks, AJ
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 05:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Wink new OPD valves

The gentleman you spoke to is right: had it done in Texas. The tank must be empty. I paid the same. You can use the old supply lines but the new ones are easier to tighten. You can use the same regulator! Unless you want to trade up to the automatic one , about $38 .
niftypkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 08:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
A friend of mine found a place in Nashville, TN. changing the valves out for $10 each. He had 4 tank valves replaced for a total of $40 while he waited. They also tested the tanks also. I talked with one of our Fire Safety Inspectors and found that TN. has not followed the OPD mandate until the TOSHA requirements have been rewritten. I wondered why I saw tanks last week being filled and they still had regular valves. Guess I'd better get off my duff and have my tanks changed over before the price goes up on me.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 05:28 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Thumbs up OPD valves

David $10 bucks is a good deal.
niftypkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 05:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
I couldn't believe it when I heard it because I had been quoted more than this just for the valve. I'm waiting for my bud to call back to get the name of the place and their phone #.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 05-18-2002, 02:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I had mine replaced up in Telemook OR. It was $20 for valve replacement & $5. for certification. $50. for both tanks. When I checked in Calif, they said $75. per tank about a year ago. Darn near paid to drive up there.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 09:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Big Scam

This OPD thing is nothing but a big scam. The government is forcing us to pay for propane companies incompetance. They hire losers that can't read a scale right, blow up a few distribution centers, and WE THE CONSUMER, have to pay the price. I will admit however that the new valves are easier to hook up, and are safer, but I hate having things like this rammed down my throat. Been using the old valves for 30 years and never had a problem. Sorry for venting! Propane exchange at corner store went up to $21.99 from $14.99 on April 1, BTW.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 11:13 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

If we came up with enough dollars, we could pay off enough legisators, we could get. them to change back to the old valves. All it takes is money to get them to do anything!
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 01:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The OPD valve is a real asset to everyone. The number of incompetent people that fill bottles for the RV owners as well as for grilles, is unreal. They want to fill them as much as possible, to sell you more as well as charge you more. The gasoline companies that permit their stations to do that go unchecked.
The bottom line result is that tanks with OPD valves cannot be over filled. That simple fact will save some lives, prevent some fires, as well as prevent some injuries to people.
There are all too many "HORROR" stories, because LPG tanks were over filled.
Therefore, we should all be grateful that the feds stepped into this picture.
IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE 30 YEARS AGO.
Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 03:46 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

OPD Valves

Much as I am irritated at having to replace several propane tanks (and also wondering how many will be dumped along side the road), I did have one experience with overfill that could have been catastrophic. I had taken a tank from my barbecue to be refilled and was on the way home with the tank inside the car. The weather was warm and part way home the relief valve on the tank blew. So there I am, driving down the road with the tank venting propane into the passenger compartment. I quickly opened a window (manual crank) to get some airflow through the car. A minor spark could have caused interesting results. Perhaps an isolated case, but at a later date I had a tank refilled at a summer resort and the kid doing the fill hadn't the slightest idea of the correct procedure.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 06:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
One of my 40 lb. tanks does not have the OPD valve so it was the tank I used during deer season in 2001. There was 1/4 of a tank left when I had it refilled just a few days prior to April of this year. I had planned to forestall the inevitable OPD valve change. During the April turkey season I used the propane from the OPD tank only. It got hot today and I noticed that the non OPD tank was hissing due to the sun shining directly on the side of the tank. I opened the valve filled the lines in my trailer and then placed a towel over the tank. The hissing stopped within 20 seconds. I guess that tank was slightly overfilled and the valve did its job on a hot day. I will have to remember to burn off some of the propane in that tank within the next few days. The inlaws as well as my mother and sister will be here for one of my son's graduation so we have given up our king sized bed and will sleep in the trailer.

By the way, i'm also one who has experienced a valve opening inside a vehicle on the way back to the house. It just started hissing rather than letting loose but it sure worried me. I'm not one who appreciates the gov't. getting involved in my life either but I understand the reason behind it. Standards are fine unless inept individuals do something wrong and blow us all up.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 05-28-2002, 08:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Alan. What you experienced is very common. Over fills are potential killers.
If one life or injury is prevented, then the entire program is worth it.
Granted, there are LPG dispensers that abide by the rules, unfortunately, it appears that they are in the vast "minority."
Safety, should be a concern by all of us, all the time.
No exceptions!!
Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 11:20 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Re: Propane Tanks - New OPD Needed?

Quote:
Originally posted by montanaandy
I just purchased a 1979 31' Airstream that came with 2 x 40 gal. propane tanks. The tanks are not fitted with the OPD which is apparently required on 40 gal tanks or smaller. Can I have a new regulator with the OPD installed by an RV dealer on the tanks? The gentleman that I purchased the trailer from said that the new OPD's run about $18.00 each. Thanks, AJ
I had my aluminum tanks changed to OPD valves Saturday by V-1 Propane on the frontage road in Billings. Cost $18.50 per tank.

Dan
Dan Phariss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 01:20 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

OPD Valve

Dan:

I brought the AS into Pierce RV for a general checkup and had them replace the valves with the OPD's. I believe that they brought it to V-1 (I know they took it offsite to have the work done). They also replaced the hoses. Unfortunately the new configuration does not have a gague on it which I would have preferred (they would have had to have ordered them and it would have taken a few weeks to get them). AJ
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 03:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Smile

AJ,
Are you saying that they could get the OPD valves with the gauge in them? There are a few members here who are looking for an OPD source and prefer one with a gauge on it. Could you check with the dealer you talked to and find out where he would have ordered the gauge OPDs? Thanks. Craig

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 06-13-2002, 06:40 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Hello Davidz,
Would you mind telling me where in Nashville I can have my tanks changed out?
Dan
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 12:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Dan,
I will call my friend this evening and send him an email right now asking him. I will post as soon as I find out.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 06-17-2002, 10:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
OPD valves

Dan,
My friend called back and said he was on a business trip and as soon as he got back he would look the business name and address up. He said it was in Lavergne rather than Nashville and it was on Waldron Rd. near some warehouses. When he gets in this evening, he is to call me with the info. Craig

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 06-17-2002, 12:11 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Craig,
I know the area on Waldron road. Let me know and I'll go get my tanks changed out. Then I can check out all the gas appliances in the trailer. I'm now taking apart the bath to find and fix a leak. I think I have found it. Plus the floor under the shower is not rotted out. My luck day. Just have to put everything back together.
Dan
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote