Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Propane Tanks and gauges etc.

I'm about to take advantage of VTS 10% discount on aluminum propane tanks. I'm looking at purchasing 2 30LB tanks. here's the question: Is it advisable to spend the extra $140 for the gauges, remote gauges/sending unit or just a two tank regulator ($40) that switches from one to the other when one is emptied?
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I think that's a personal decision based on how much convience you want.

Our trailer has the guages, and they are nice, but this is the first one we've had with them, and we seemed to make it OK without them.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I think that's a personal decision based on how much convience you want.

Our trailer has the gauges, and they are nice, but this is the first one we've had with them, and we seemed to make it OK without them.
Likewise. Never had them before the AS and wasn't a problem. What I REALLY can't figure out is why I now have a remote gauge read from inside the AS AND gauges on the tanks themselves. From the Department of Redundancy Department, I guess.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
I guess if $$$ were no object I would not be asking the question. From what I read on the VTS site, once you decide no gauges then there is no chance to add them later. I hear you dzn0g, I thought it redundant also...
Old 02-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I will be getting them on my next set of tanks for the cloud.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkroff View Post
I will be getting them on my next set of tanks for the cloud.
Tank gauges or remote?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Gauges. I rarely have to refill the tanks, but when getting ready to go I always wonder. I also plan to use the tanks more for the BBQ in the future, so it will be nice know.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have the float gauges and they're great.

If your tank is 1/8 full and you're leaving on a trip you might want to refill first.

If you switched tanks three days ago and it's cold out you might want to know how much you have left.

If you have one tank unhooked so you can run a hose to your BBQ then you may end up wondering exactly where you ended up fuel wise after the trip.

In really cold weather with the furnace running the regulator shows red most of the time anyway so the float gauge is the only way you can see for sure what's going on.

I have the remote indicator, which works OK but isn't really necessary. It's easy enough to simply look at the tanks, and with the remote indicator there's a little wire you have to unplug every time you take a tank off to be refilled.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I came across this retrofit gauge today for 20# cylinders that might be of interest to people who don't want to replace tanks:

20-lb. OPD Tank Valve with Build-In Propane Level Indicator
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
Propane Gauges

I have the auto change over regulator and have had so since 1975 they work well and I would not spend the extra bucks on something that will afford you little more.

Just check your tanks in spring and you will be fine.

Rae Baker
Ontario Canada > Key West Florida
1975 Argosy
raebaker06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I guess im just old fcashioned {or maybe just old} but I just get a kettle of hot water and pour it down the side of the tank. Pretty much tells me how much gas is left.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When we first had the trailer, we ran out of propane and then became anxious. I thought about getting gauges (are they all that accurate?). But, after a while we had a pretty good idea how much we had left and whenever one tank became low, we filled it and switched to the other tank. We alternate which tank we use first for no reason other than we know one tank is as full as can be subject to temperature when filled. Lifting a full tank after bringing an empty one gave me a good idea of when a tank was about empty.

So every few days we use the furnace, or longer if we don't, I take off the cover and giant wingnut and lift the tank. Experience tells me how empty it is.

We work on the principle one tank is for using and one tank is backup instead of running both down. If you boondock a lot when it's cold, you will get well into the 2nd tank and have to plan accordingly.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
IMHO, the auto-changeover type regulator is a must-have!

It's great to know that when one tank runs 'dry', it will change over to the other to keep everything running - especially if you're running the furnace at night!

Gauges - I can take em' or leave em'...I don't have them now, but would probably take a 'gander' more often if I did...Currently, I just use the old hand-on-the tank method to try and feel where the 'cold' level is...
Old 02-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have the auto change over regulator with the float green/red monitor at the tank and no remote gauge... I check the monitor before each trip and if we are uisng the furnace a lot I check every couple of days. When it shows red, I flip the switch to the other tank (which is already being drawn on)...the monitor immediately changes to e green on the fresher tank... and get the empty tank filled...that way we never run out of propane. Even if we are camping we can usually find somewhere to get propane without having to go far. (You're screwed only if you don't pay attention and let both tanks go empty...)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote gauges, tank gauges