Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2022, 09:37 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Atlanta , Georgia
Interesting conversations. I do value all the comments. That's what the forums are all about. To get different opinions.
1590Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 12:12 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
South , Louisiana
For the record

That is exactly what I did but for a different reason. I removed one tank because I wanted to mount a generator and gas container on the tongue and did not want to stress the frame. After adding the generator tray, generator, and small gas container the net gain in weight was about 12 pounds. I also plugged the vacant pigtail.
bgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 07:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Always interesting to see these horizontal cylinders! I guess it says on it to fill in vertical position, or horizontal? Also interesting that the OPD valve is somehow mounted under the yellow fill orifice, or? (The star-shaped handle on the outflow valve indicates no OPD under it.)

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcondon View Post
They have a foot that you can bolt down to the existing tank carrier.
Old 10-09-2022, 07:53 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
1969 27' Overlander
1969 27' Overlander
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Always interesting to see these horizontal cylinders! I guess it says on it to fill in vertical position, or horizontal? Also interesting that the OPD valve is somehow mounted under the yellow fill orifice, or? (The star-shaped handle on the outflow valve indicates no OPD under it.)

Lynn
I only have one of these mounted on the A frame with wing nuts. I remove it like a norrnal cylinder and take it in to get filled. They fill it horizontally on the table. It makes a nicer looking installation.
Jcondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:50 AM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you are sweating about tongue weight, this is a really good sign that your choice of tow vehicles needs to be re-visited.

The only time people seem to worry about this is when the paper math does not add up. At that point, you likely are well past the limits of "likely to work well" for most lash ups. Worse, moving weight around likely makes stability worse ( = more sway ). You are simply getting into more trouble with your fix.

Bob
^
This...one significant 'bounce' will toss that 'weight saving' into the ditch.
Close is only good enough with horseshoes & hand grenades.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-09-2022, 11:58 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
On the table? So I guess they're filling by opening the bleed valve to see when propane spews out. Which means that the bleed valve dip tube is likely kind of curved to one side, as far as I can tell from the picture.

The other way to fill the cylinder, mandated in some other places, involves using the standard formula -- ( TW + (.42 x WC) + HoseWeight ) -- and placing the cylinder on a scale.

Lynn

Quote:
I only have one of these mounted on the A frame with wing nuts. I remove it like a norrnal cylinder and take it in to get filled. They fill it horizontally on the table. It makes a nicer looking installation.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:19 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
1969 27' Overlander
1969 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
On the table? So I guess they're filling by opening the bleed valve to see when propane spews out. Which means that the bleed valve dip tube is likely kind of curved to one side, as far as I can tell from the picture.

The other way to fill the cylinder, mandated in some other places, involves using the standard formula -- ( TW + (.42 x WC) + HoseWeight ) -- and placing the cylinder on a scale.

Lynn
I'm not sure. I will ask then next time I fill. I know they don't weigh it. They don't spew either. This is California. They vent through a recovery machine. You know, The whales.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:26 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
1969 27' Overlander
1969 27' Overlander
When I towed my 1949 Liner with my mountain bike I had to lighten the tongue to about 5 pounds. The payload on the bike frame was 20 pounds but the cantilevered hitch assembly made the front end lift. So I stacked some weights in the rear which lightened the tongue. Before y'all post about sway I only went about 50' at 5 miles an hour.
Old 10-09-2022, 01:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
When I towed my 1949 Liner with my mountain bike I had to lighten the tongue to about 5 pounds. The payload on the bike frame was 20 pounds but the cantilevered hitch assembly made the front end lift. So I stacked some weights in the rear which lightened the tongue. Before y'all post about sway I only went about 50' at 5 miles an hour.
You rock!
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 01:07 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Ok. If there's no obvious scale, then it's probably spewed inside the recovery machine. Several states are now requiring this. Probably a very good thing. (My state works toward the no-release goal by strongly recommending the use of a scale, but scales bring about their own problem, namely, a state agent that inspects all machinery -- scale as well as gallon counter -- on a yearly basis.)

Lynn

Quote:
I'm not sure. I will ask then next time I fill. I know they don't weigh it. They don't spew either. This is California. They vent through a recovery machine. You know, The whales.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:06 AM   #31
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I have a 2018 25FC. I bought a tongue scale. I weigh mine, 950lbs. So think of the percentage of what one tank will weigh into your decision.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 05:14 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Atlanta , Georgia
Assuming a 30# tank full of propane weighs 55 pounds, the percentage would be 9.5%. Right?
1590Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 05:41 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1590Denny View Post
Assuming a 30# tank full of propane weighs 55 pounds, the percentage would be 9.5%. Right?
55# is closer to 5.5% for a 950# tongue weight.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 04:50 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Marietta , Arizona
Why worry?
Let say the tongue weighs 1000 pounds and the TV rated at 850.
When using the weight distribution system, the tongue weight becomes SIGNIFICANTLY less. So only the brief period of time while hooking up are you over the limit.
Alphred E. Newman is correct.
MonacoJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:18 AM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoJay View Post
Why worry?
Let say the tongue weighs 1000 pounds and the TV rated at 850.
When using the weight distribution system, the tongue weight becomes SIGNIFICANTLY less. So only the brief period of time while hooking up are you over the limit.
Alphred E. Newman is correct.
BTW. Alphred was Alfred's cousin.

I beg to differ, the TW does NOT change. AND you may very well be over the 'limit' rolling down the road as the rig reacts to road conditions.
IMHO...if you don't have 2-300lb of wiggle room...please consider a more capable TV.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-13-2022, 07:27 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
BTW. Alphred was Alfred's cousin.

I beg to differ, the TW does NOT change. AND you may very well be over the 'limit' rolling down the road as the rig reacts to road conditions.
IMHO...if you don't have 2-300lb of wiggle room...please consider a more capable TV.

Bob
����
I agree with first half of this post but 300 to 500 pounds of wiggle room in tongue weight? That would rule out towing a Basecamp with almost any midsized SUV on the market.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:34 AM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
300 to 500 pounds of wiggle room in tongue weight? That would rule out towing a Basecamp with almost any midsized SUV on the market.
Oh, sorry didn't realize you were the OP with a 25ft'r. Shoot,ready,aim

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-13-2022, 07:55 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Oh, sorry didn't realize you were the OP with a 25ft'r. Shoot,ready,aim

Bob
����
Like most of these threads after a few posts they go beyond being directly related to the OPs post. I would invite you to revisit the OPs original post. Your post that I quoted had nothing to do with this and was a response to a different post. #34 to be precise.
No shooting involved. I was simply disagreeing with what I perceived was your posts intention.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:05 AM   #39
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Like most of these threads after a few posts they go beyond being directly related to the OPs post. So I’m sorry your confused as to who I am.
No shooting involved. I was simply disagreeing with what I perceived was your posts intention.
No problem...my only point, do NOT fudge the numbers, if in doubt, err on the safe side.
IMO...Moving 30lb items is not the way to squeeze into safety.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-13-2022, 08:20 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
No problem...my only point, do NOT fudge the numbers, if in doubt, err on the safe side.
IMO...Moving 30lb items is not the way to squeeze into safety.

Bob
🇺🇸
I agree with that but i don’t think the OPs intention was to reduce tongue weight to fall within a limit. I took it as just the possibility of reducing unnecessary weight. 30 or 40 pounds alone doesn’t mean much but if its in conjunction with other reductions it can be come significant. Regardless of limits saving overall weight is a good thing. I think ill start a new thread.