RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Empty tank, remove valve, install new valve, get tank filled. Check for leaks with soap bubbles.

Perry

https://www.amazon.com/Nashfuel-Prop...gateway&sr=8-1
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Empty tank, remove valve, install new valve, get tank filled. Check for leaks with soap bubbles.

Perry

https://www.amazon.com/Nashfuel-Prop...gateway&sr=8-1
Ahh...a body who rites coherently.😂 👍

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Are you poking fun Bob?

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Ahh...a body who rites coherently.😂 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-07-2019, 05:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Unless I am missing something here, the tanks are full and he can't use the knobs to open the tanks to get the gas flowing. If I have it right then he isn't able to use the gas that is in them. Which to my mind means that tying a tank to a tree and wrenching the valve off would very likely create a huge cloud of propane into the openers face? I once had an issue with this on a 20 lb. tank. My only option was to go far away from a building, sparks, and kids who might want some excitement caused by a match and loosen the vent screw to empty it I could get rid of it. In his case it would mean he could install new valves.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think the stops that prevent the valve wheel from spinning all the way out of the valve are gone. He can empty them but he needs to be careful not to pull the stem all the way out of the valve or he will have an entire tank expel.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Unless I am missing something here, the tanks are full and he can't use the knobs to open the tanks to get the gas flowing. If I have it right then he isn't able to use the gas that is in them. Which to my mind means that tying a tank to a tree and wrenching the valve off would very likely create a huge cloud of propane into the openers face? I once had an issue with this on a 20 lb. tank. My only option was to go far away from a building, sparks, and kids who might want some excitement caused by a match and loosen the vent screw to empty it I could get rid of it. In his case it would mean he could install new valves.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:25 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Ah, gotcha....my extrapolating my experience to this situation. Bottom line if they can get the tanks emptied safely and a new valve on all is good.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Cary , NC
Yes, just replaced my 2 tanks on my 2014 Flying cloud. Order from Home Depot orAmazon, they be there the next day.
alreardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
If you determine that you need to replace the tanks, I'm going to go out on a limb and ask if you really need 60 lb of propane or if 40 lb will do.

Sizing down to pair of 20 lb tanks has many benefits;
- Easier to carry around and lift a 20 lb tank onto the trailer.
- Pound for pound, a 20 lb tank is the most cost effective size when purchasing new. More likely to be on sale than a 30 lb and readily available.
- In a pinch, you can go to many places and do an even exchange. Yes, they tend to be short filled and make sure you check the date for the one they are providing to make sure it's not too old. I do this when my home gas grill tanks start approaching expiration.
- Reduces tongue weight by around 34 lbs (propane and lighter weight tank), helping justify the installation of heavier 6V golf cart batteries.

You will need to replace the center hold-down rod with one that is fully threaded, to enable you to drop down the regulator assembly to the level of the shorter tank.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote