Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2004, 11:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Propane Tank Mystery

There are 2 steel propane tanks that came with our 64 Overlander. I thought that one of them still had some propane in it because it's 8 pounds heavier than the other, but I can't get any gas out of it. I tried it connected to the regulator and by opening the valve with the tank disconnected, but nothing.

The two tanks appear to be the same in appearance and markings and I'm pretty sure they are original to the trailer.

Any ideas on this one? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Grant Davidson
Milton, ON, Canada
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
If one of your tanks has propane in it, you should be able to feel it slosh around.

If your tanks have the new OPD style valves installed, you will not be able to get gas out of it by merely opening the valve. And, with the OPD valve, if you open it too quick, the "protection" will not let any gas out even when you are hooked to a regulator.

Good luck!
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Or, maybe one of the tanks is steel painted silver, and the other is aluminum whiich is silver? Wouldn't that explain the weight difference?
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
Or, maybe one of the tanks is steel painted silver, and the other is aluminum whiich is silver? Wouldn't that explain the weight difference?
A magnet will reveal the truth.

Tom
Old 06-30-2004, 06:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
A magnet will reveal the truth.

Tom
Already tried the magnet, they're both steel. I can't hear anything sloshing around, and they don't have OPDs.

Thanks,

Grant
Old 06-30-2004, 06:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I would probably buy new aluminum matching LP tanks. I know they are pricy, but it is only money that you can't take to the grave with you. Besides, if you were really concerned about cash, you wouldn't have a trailer anyway. There is hardly any way to economically justify owning one.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:50 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

airstreamdreams.com sells new aluminum tanks. The price is good.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:21 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
I would probably buy new aluminum matching LP tanks. I know they are pricy, but it is only money that you can't take to the grave with you. Besides, if you were really concerned about cash, you wouldn't have a trailer anyway. There is hardly any way to economically justify owning one.
Hey hey hey! I spent months convincing my husband it was the most economical way to vacation before he would let me buy ours - don't let him hear you say that!

TCWilliams, I never heard about the protection and opening the valves too quick.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Steph...let's assume that you paid $5000 for your trailer.....then there is maintenence, and tags, and insurance, and maintenence, and this and that's for it....how many motel rooms a year would that buy invested properly?
You can't put a price on having your home following you is the point of owning an Airstream, I think.
....just my 2 cents....
Old 07-01-2004, 01:10 AM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Oh no, I agree with you, I'm just saying don't spread it around - it's our little secret

Of course, after vacationing in my Airstream, you'd have to PAY me to stay in a hotel room, not the other way around...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 04:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
TCWilliams, I never heard about the protection and opening the valves too quick.
I have not personally experienced it, but read about it in another post. Some people appararently also have problems when the tank is less than full.

That being said, I do not know how widespread the problems are, but it is something to keep in mind if your tank does not deliver gas when you want it to.

Tom
Old 07-01-2004, 11:32 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
I have not personally experienced it, but read about it in another post. Some people appararently also have problems when the tank is less than full.

That being said, I do not know how widespread the problems are, but it is something to keep in mind if your tank does not deliver gas when you want it to.

Tom
My dad has had the Dometic refrigerator out of his SOB 4 times in the last month. Every time he bench tested it, it worked fine but when he put it back in his unit it would not work. In desperation he changed the regulator on the LP system and has not had a problem since.

LotalaborAZ
upallnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:53 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Many modern propane systems use a safety device called an excess-flow POL. This is the fitting that attaches to the tank, usually right at the input to the regulator. It will typically have a very small hole in the end, as well as a spring-loaded plunger inside. The purpose of this device is to limit the maximum flow rate of propane from the tank.

If you open the propane tank valve too quickly, the plunger will cut the gas flow to a trickle. This limited flow will be maintained until the pressure equalizes up- and downstream of the POL and the plunger resets. If you have a major failure - say a gas line breaks off - the POL will keep the propane from gushing out and becoming a huge fire hazard.

Excess-flow POLs are sized in BTUs. If all the propane devices in your trailer add up to, say, 55,000 BTU, you might have a POL rated at 75,000 BTU.

This is a great safety device, although not all RV shops know about them. I once had a parts salesman tell me that there was no such thing. Coincidentally, he only carried a non-limited POL with about a 1/4" hole in it!

Useless trivia: the POL got its name from one of the early makers of gas-fired appliances, Prest-O-Lite.

Bob McKeown
Nashville
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 07:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Bob,
Great information!
Thanks.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander
I thought that one of them still had some propane in it because it's 8 pounds heavier than the other
Grant, look at the markings around the collar of the tanks. One of the markings should have the letters TW followed by some numbers. TW stands for Tare Weight, which refers to the weight of the tank without propane. If you have an empty tank, it should weight at or near the TW.

If both tanks are the standard 7-gallon size, their TWs should be fairly close, though not necessarily identical. Our two tanks were bought side-by-side, same store, same manufacturer. They have different TWs.

Lynn
Old 07-02-2004, 08:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Grant, look at the markings around the collar of the tanks. One of the markings should have the letters TW followed by some numbers. TW stands for Tare Weight, which refers to the weight of the tank without propane. If you have an empty tank, it should weight at or near the TW.

If both tanks are the standard 7-gallon size, their TWs should be fairly close, though not necessarily identical. Our two tanks were bought side-by-side, same store, same manufacturer. They have different TWs.

Lynn
Thanks Lynn, I guess the difference in weight is not due to propane. One tank has a TW of 24, the other is 30 1/2. They appear to be the same, but maybe were made by different manufacturers.
I've ordered 2 aluminum tanks from Airstream Dreams and I have a new regulator that I got from Inland RV, so hopefully I will soon be able to try out the stove, fridge, furnace and water heater.

Grant