Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Propane Tank enclosure Cover ????

Hi, on a recent trip with our airstream we lost the cover to our propane enclosure. The clasp wasn't holding well and the result is obvious. Anyhow, later that same trip we were traveling through Ohio and found ourselves getting off the highway and visiting the Airstream factory at Jackson Center. Would have liked to take the tour but didn't want to lose 3 hours hanging around. So we purchased a new cover and a few other things and hit the road. Now, back at home, I drilled out the rivits and installed the new cover on the enclosure and all's well, almost. I need to come up with a better latch arrangment to make sure we don't loose this one. I was wondering if anyone out in Airstreamland has run into this re-fit and would mind sharing their remedy. I was thinking of the rubber type seen on large trucks to secure the hood when closed. Perhaps there is a smaller one of that type or something like it.

Would appreciate any thoughts on a new latch.

Thanks,
Roger in NJ
polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
What about a good quality draw latch, or T-Handle latch?

McMaster-Carr

McMaster-Carr may be a good resource for you.

www.mcmastercarr.com

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks Kevin, you and my son think alike. That was his suggestion when we spoke last night. I just checked and they have what I'm thinking about. The only hesitation about it is the one they have with the rubber does not come in stainless. They have zinc coated steel or one that is fully rubber/nylon. But at least I have something to think about.

Appreciate the thought.
polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Thanks Kevin, you and my son think alike. That was his suggestion when we spoke last night. I just checked and they have what I'm thinking about. The only hesitation about it is the one they have with the rubber does not come in stainless. They have zinc coated steel or one that is fully rubber/nylon. But at least I have something to think about.

Appreciate the thought.

What about the 1344A26? Its a stainless version. Or the 1685A29, or the 1685A32, these have stainless strikes.

Best of luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote