Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Propane security cable

I have my propane tanks secured to the trailer with a locked stainless steel cable. Two reasons:
  • It's too easy to get a mental picture of the hold down loosening up a couple turns and a tank dragging down the road held on only by the hose.
  • Aluminum tanks are pretty pricey, and I'd rather not have them wander off in the middle of the night.

If you're looking for a good, inexpensive pre-made cable, check this out:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232306000758
Old 05-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I’ve done the same. After have a tank stolen off my trailer when getting serviced at the dealer’s lot. One tank was left so that the shroud concealed a missing tank.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
I have my propane tanks secured to the trailer with a locked stainless steel cable. Two reasons:
  • It's too easy to get a mental picture of the hold down loosening up a couple turns and a tank dragging down the road held on only by the hose.
  • Aluminum tanks are pretty pricey, and I'd rather not have them wander off in the middle of the night.

If you're looking for a good, inexpensive pre-made cable, check this out:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232306000758
It can happen. I had 40 lb. come off held by hose, drug for few miles,ground bottom ring 1 side, if hose broke would have gone under, end of AS, luckily no other damage & tank still usable. Will look for cable as next time maybe not so lucky, or drill bottom ring of tank then pad lock w/loop to go into ring & over retaining loop on AS. This first time for over 65 yrs. AS stated it can happen. Maybe some one tried to steal tank as happened few miles from cg.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote