Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2020, 08:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Tabernash , Colorado
Propane regulator and an empty tank

Had an unusual problem. I usually open both of my tank valves so that my propane will continuously flow and the valve will switch between tanks automatically. This is the first time that I actually "drained" a tank. The hot water heater sputtered a couple of time and the indicator went from green to red and I just switched the valve.

The strange thing is that my propane monitoring system (Mopeka) said I had 20% left in the tank. (It was 70 degrees or so at 9000 ft). My initial guess is that the indicator was bad. Today when I went to the local ACE for a fill up, there clearly was 20% left in the tank.

Had I closed the full tank and forced the appliances to try and really empty the low tank, would that have worked? I didn't want the fridge and potentially the furnace or fridge to sputter, so i switched. Is this common for a tank not to completely empty? Was altitude a potential issue?

Not earth shattering...... just curious.
JeffCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I have never noticed any appliance sputtering due to low propane or the change-over happening. I have camped as high as 10,000 feet. I'm sure I have had change-overs happen while camped in the Colorado mountains but I don't specifically remember anything about those changeovers.

Having it leave 20% in the tank at change-over time is not normal. When I have a tank filled after a change-over, the fill amount is usually within 0.1 or 0.2 pounds of the expected amount.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote