Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2020, 02:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emh142 View Post
The problem seems to be 1/4 inch flared vs. the stock 3/8 flat connector to the regulator. How did you all manage that? With some sort of adaptor? I haven't seen anything on this yet. Thanks again. DH.
For the record

This is how you solve that:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The above adapter has a 3/8" flare OD and internal 1/4" opening for the male end which is threaded into the (3/8") regulator. The other end of this adapter is 1/4" female that you thread the STANDARD easy to get 1/4" propane pigtails. The print details do not mention a 3/8 OD male side. I reckon I'm just dumb and out of the loop?:

Above are very nice quality.

Use gas pipe sealant as such:

Aske meh how aye nooe Test for leaks with soapy water and done.

Tip > Always grease your ball.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gas1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	381765   Click image for larger version

Name:	gas2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	381766  

Name:	raceg.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	381767  
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:58 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tustin , California
MB Sturgis is a USA vendor that supplies and makes all of these propane hoses to whatever length you want. I shopped the whole country and these people are my go to with great pricing. You have an issue, they will resolve it. They have the rubber type or stainless braded hoses. They also make their own 2 stage regulator and have a video as to how they test that. Again, everything they make is USA. Read there about for the company history.
socalchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I just replaced my regulator with a Sturgis high capacity unit, with Sturgis braided pigtails. Note that I turned the tanks 180 degrees to that the ACME connection is facing forward to allow for longer pigtails to attach without an excessive bend. One tank does have a tee so that I can connect the Blackstone grill or Fire-in-a-can appliance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LP tanks.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	385825  
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Propane Pigtails Source

Sturgis made in USA parts for propane systems are the best way to go. Too many look alike cheap parts have been reported as a source of leaks too often.

Personally, I’d rather not have a front row seat in the middle of a rapidly expanding propane fireball...in any case, flexible parts in propane systems need to be inspected regularly and replaced when they get hardened, exhibit cracking, or age out. I try to replace my flexible pressure hoses about every 8 years or so. I also use corrugated split tubing as a cover to protect those parts from UV light. I do the same for exposed electrical wires as well.

Name:	IMG_4579.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	385828

Main battery disconnect switch on The Silver Hamshack.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:26 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Keizer , Oregon
Steamy1. Wrapping around the tank collar is an interesting solution. What is the hose length? What is the hose part #?. My new 40# aluminum tanks with guages, the built in OPD would not stop filling. The propane dealer said the OPD float was interfering with the guage float and rotated my valve so it is pointing 180 thru the handle slot. I haven't put the tank back on the trailer yet but your solution might work for me also. Thanks
Old 12-31-2020, 08:32 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahroc View Post
Steamy1. Wrapping around the tank collar is an interesting solution. What is the hose length? What is the hose part #?. My new 40# aluminum tanks with guages, the built in OPD would not stop filling. The propane dealer said the OPD float was interfering with the guage float and rotated my valve so it is pointing 180 thru the handle slot. I haven't put the tank back on the trailer yet but your solution might work for me also. Thanks
from etrailer:

100833-24 MB Sturgis Propane Pigtail - Stainless Overbraid - Type 1 x
1/4" Male Inverted Flare - 2' (24")
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote