Old 09-19-2016, 08:41 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
"I wonder if I could change the inlets to the regulator to female inverted flare and use the male inverted flare pigtails I already bought."

Can't see why this wouldn't be possible. Is there something screwed into the regulator already. Can't see why you couldn't remove and replace them.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Redding , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
"I wonder if I could change the inlets to the regulator to female inverted flare and use the male inverted flare pigtails I already bought."

Can't see why this wouldn't be possible. Is there something screwed into the regulator already. Can't see why you couldn't remove and replace them.
the fitting I linked to above might do the trick in this case as well. I was going to mention this, but that's partly why I am a little confused. having a male npt to femal npt fitting coming off the regulator is a redundant fitting if the pigtail is npt as well. just screw the npt pigtail into the regulator. does that make sense?
Leadvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:02 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I would rather have one threaded connection at the regulator than 2.
I think the pigtails on order will thread right in.
The only other option would be to change the regulator inlets to inverted flare to match the pigtails I already have.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:10 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Box Elder , South Dakota
My leaky pigtail

Label says cavagna group, MAX WP 350PSI Cat#2 18CE. Sent an email to dealer to get a free replacement as it should be under warranty.
alphamale49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:36 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
This all seems pretty straight forward, at least I thought so. My AS dealer is about half an hour's drive, so I picked up a Camco pigtail replacement which has a ¼" inverted male flare connector on the regulator side. When I was ready to replace, discovered the failed pigtail has a 3/8" connector and checking a variety of vendors listed in this thread as well as Camping World, nobody has any type of connector to attach to my regulator. With a 2-year-old trailer, wondering why the mismatch? Supposing I may need to find a ⅜" male to ¼" female adaptor. If that's my best option, wondering about flare on either end and if this is a unicorn to track down. Has anyone stumbled onto this oddball size?
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:39 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Propane pigtail hose connector is leaking

Yup. Took two tries to get the right parts. Mine same as yours. Be sure to use proper YELLOW gas and propane Teflon tape. The white stuff is only for water. Check for leaks with soap solution.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
An easy job. Got the new pigtail from Amazon. Went to HomeDepot for a propane compatible sealant - originally thought some sort of tape - was advised by a licensed plumber there to use RectorSeal #5 pipe thread sealant. Always check the new seal. All good. Good luck.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:37 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Little rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by almcate View Post
This all seems pretty straight forward, at least I thought so. My AS dealer is about half an hour's drive, so I picked up a Camco pigtail replacement which has a ¼" inverted male flare connector on the regulator side. When I was ready to replace, discovered the failed pigtail has a 3/8" connector and checking a variety of vendors listed in this thread as well as Camping World, nobody has any type of connector to attach to my regulator. With a 2-year-old trailer, wondering why the mismatch? Supposing I may need to find a ⅜" male to ¼" female adaptor. If that's my best option, wondering about flare on either end and if this is a unicorn to track down. Has anyone stumbled onto this oddball size?

Etrailer carries them. I got the 20 inch length and they make a nice easy curve on my 27 FCFBT.
Dtrentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Well...it’s been 3-1/2 Years since I previously replaced my pigtails ...and they are LEAKING AGAIN!
The damn things leak at the cheap crimps where they crimp onto the end-fitting brass 1/4” NPT. The hose has a teflon inner-lining which begins to leak at the brass NPT fitting. (Used soapy-water to determine the leak and it foams right at the hose-to-brass point.). Lousy design....Cheap sheet-metal crimps.

Lost a half tank of propane over the winter. Grrrrr

I’m thinking about making my own using hydraulic fittings.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:24 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
We have not had good luck with the Cavagna pigtail hoses.

In three years we have replaced 4, most recently while on a trip thru the Desert SW.

We stopped at an LP dealer in Kanab, Utah, who was able to fix us up with replacement hoses and adapters.

The LP dealer passed on a pointer. On seeing the Cavagna hose, he explained that the barely long enough hose required a sharp bend to connect to the tank, resulting in premature failure. He recommended using a longer hose to relax the bend. So we picked up two 16 inchers.

Based on the volume of pigtail hoses they had in stock, they do a lot of RV business.

So far so good with the longer hoses.

FWIW, I tried contacting Cavagna, as I felt the hoses should have longer life. The only customer service they seemed to have was for major wholesale clients, not retail customers like me. I ended up sending an email to the one email address I could find. Never received a reply.

Burnside

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:49 PM   #51
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Replaced with these two Seasons ago...👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2ccd.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	364387  

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #52

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I remember having trouble finding the same length pigtails as were installed originally on my Classic. I opted for a slightly longer pigtail but as others have noted the bending curve in order to make them fit was too extreme and these pigtails failed prematurely at the fitting that connects to the regulator. I ended up replacing them with even longer pigtails which allowed for much more of a loop that eliminated the pressure on the fitting that attaches to the hose.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:20 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Propane pigtail hose connector is leaking

Since my pigtails use a standard 3/8” male threaded fitting into the regulator, I added a couple 3/8” brass street elbows (female to male) to make the turn easier.

I also used high quality Marshal Brass (made in USA) pigtails.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I also use longer pigtails and avoid kinking or too-tight loops by turning the propane bottle so that the connections point towards the outside instead of straight back towards the trailer. How much to the side depends on the length of the pigtail.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:30 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside Bob View Post
We have not had good luck with the Cavagna pigtail hoses. ...

Based on the volume of pigtail hoses they had in stock, they do a lot of RV business.

Burnside
“Based on the volume of pigtail hoses they had in stock...” only confirms how common this failure occurs.

I also turn my tanks to minimize stress on the hoses, but that is not the problem, IMO. The problem is that these hoses have a teflon liner within the rubber outer-hose (which may itself be further protected by braided stainless...but the braid only protects the rubber)... and this does NOT prevent the leaks which eventually (sooner-than-should-occur) leak at the cheap crimps where the hose connects to the brass end-fitting.

Next time you want to test your hose.... simply grab it while it’s disconnected from your tank and give it a twist...and watch it “spin” on the end fitting. There’s where the leak will occur.

The only real fix (I am planning to make) is to substitute aircraft-quality hydraulic hoses which are designed to carry flammable fluids and gases instead of these cheap crimped pigtails.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote