Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2005, 07:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

propane lines

I was wondering where the best place to get new propane lines at? I need to replace both lines off the tanks and the bigger one going into the trailer . Also what would be the easiest way to purge the air out of these lines when the tanks are hooked back up ? One more question , is there a pipe thread sealer that needs to be used on the threads ? thanks
airtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
airtim.

The LPG lines off the bottles are called "pigtails".

If you have tanks with the old style valves, you may not be able to find pigtails that fit.

Newer tanks have what is called an OPD valve. They take a different type pigtail.

Pigtails are available from most any RV dealer.

If your LPG bottles are out of date, you will have to replace them.

It is not necessary to purge any lines when changing bottles.

DO NOT use any type pipe dope or sealer on the pigtail to tank fittings. Just make sure the pigtails have been very firmly tightened.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
The "big line" as you descrived it, can be bought at Home Depot or any plumbing store along with the right pipe dough for the gas threaded connectors. You might have to purchase a flaring tool also, which is sold by both stores mentioned above or at Harbor Freight. Good luck.
Ernie
'58 Traveler 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

The pigtails do not need to be replaced because of a change to the OPD valve.
All of the tanks I own have the new OPD installed. I replaced the ones on my Argosy last year. I could use either of the available pigtails. The old pigtails screw into the new valves as there are threads on the inside to accommodate the old pigtails. There are threads on the outside of the valve to accommodate the newer pigtails as well.
The one thing Andy forgot to mention is that if you have the Worthington, (aluminum), tanks it would be economical to replace the valves themselves. The aluminum tanks are not cheap. To replace the valves on my 20# tanks it was $30 each and they filled them up for that price as well.
Worthington has a good visual on their website showing how the OPD valve works. You can click on the link to the java applet titled "6 lb. - 40 lb. sizes equipped with an Overfill Prevention Device (OPD)" from this page. http://www.worthingtoncylinders.com/aluminum.html
Andy is right, DO NOT use any doping on the fittings at the tanks. There are specially designed rubber O-rings that seat themselves at the fittings.
As for purging; turn on an LP appliance and have patience. It will light.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtim
...is there a pipe thread sealer that needs to be used on the threads ?
No. Gas lines use flared fittings which require no additional sealant. If it leaks, the flare is bad. The threads have nothing to do with how well the joint seals when flared fittings are used.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
...There are specially designed rubber O-rings that seat themselves at the fittings...
I am familiar with those O-rings on AN fittings, but did not see them on either my vintage Airstream, nor at the hardware store where parts were purchased to repair my LPG system.

There are no O-rings sealing the gas system on my Overlander, only flare fittings.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
I am familiar with those O-rings on AN fittings, but did not see them on either my vintage Airstream, nor at the hardware store where parts were purchased to repair my LPG system.

There are no O-rings sealing the gas system on my Overlander, only flare fittings.

Tom
Tom,
Sorry, I was reading one post and talking to someone on the phone at the same time.
No O-rings on the pigtails is correct.
As Homer J Simpson would say, "DOH!"
Old 02-13-2005, 06:10 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for all the info. No pipe dope is what I thought. The rubber line leaving the regulator is an item that is available at a hardware store ? What exactly should I ask for when I go to get a new line ? Thanks everybody again.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

This is the line you are looking for...

The line most likely cannot be purchased at the hardware store.
It is an RV line, better known as a "pigtail". You can find it at almost any RV parts store. They are under $10.
The one in the picture is the kind that screws onto the OPD tanks. These are nice because they require no tools to remove and reinstall. You do need to have the OPD valve on your tanks to make this work.
If you have had your tanks refilled in the last two or three years, (or sooner), then you would have the OPD valves. Propane retailers cannot sell propane that is stored in any other type of tank.
Did you get to see the link for how the OPD works?
If you need a link to see what the OPD valve looks like installed on a propane cylinder feel free to ask. I can direct you to the right location.
God bless and good luck.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2005, 05:40 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

I know about the pigtails .I was refering to the rubber line leaving the regulator going to the copper line which goes directly to the trailer which then goes to the appliances of the trailer aztlanco says this line is available at Home Depot . Is this line a common hose or is it an RV part store only item . thanks
Old 02-15-2005, 07:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtim
I know about the pigtails .I was refering to the rubber line leaving the regulator going to the copper line which goes directly to the trailer which then goes to the appliances of the trailer aztlanco says this line is available at Home Depot . Is this line a common hose or is it an RV part store only item . thanks
Our Airstream -- maybe all Airstreams? maybe all vintage Airstreams? -- uses standard LP parts available at any full-service LP outfit that not only sells LP, but also does installations, etc. You can tell them because they generally also sell tanks, heaters, etc. Just peek into the Yellow Pages under Gas or LP or Propane.

Lynn
Old 02-15-2005, 07:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Airtim;
Both of my trailers ('63 Safari and '58 Traveler) have copper leaving the regulator all the way to the apliances. That's the line I know you can buy at Home Depot. That rubber hose you mention, I'm not familiar with, sorry about the confusion.
Ernie
'58 Traveler, 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 04:48 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

I got all new lines and everything seems to check out alright . thanks to all who helped answer my questions . sometimes it helps to know there are others there to help
Old 03-15-2005, 04:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
I think I had mentioned before - that we now have new regs up here in CAN We have to use the rubber "pigtails from the tanks to the regulator and from the regulator to the main copper line. Once connected the system is supose to be certified by a technician and a tag connected to the LP Regualtor. You can remove the tanks from the reg but if you "break" the seal to the main line you have to get recertified again.

Not sure all the ins and outs of this reg - and have no idea who will be policing it - other than we have to sign a waver that we have read and understand the new regulations (when ever we purchase a new regulator and/or "pigtails".

Any of this happening in the States?

Also re Andy's comment about old valve tanks have to be replaced - not sure if he meant the whole tank or just the valve.

The old vintage aluminum tanks are hard to come buy and pretty pricy to replace. So we took a chance and had our two on the Globe Trotter re-valved at $28.95 plus tax each cnd- they both worked fine (as sometimes the weld can give at the top and/or the thread into the bottle can be damaged by the process.)
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I have not heard of any regulations here in NH. But I have not gone out and tested the waters yet. We can have a new valve put in the old tank have have the tank recertfied. The 72 Argosy we are looking at has Aluminum tanks. So if that goes through I'll be looking at getting them upgraded!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
I have not heard of any regulations here in NH. But I have not gone out and tested the waters yet. We can have a new valve put in the old tank have have the tank recertfied. The 72 Argosy we are looking at has Aluminum tanks. So if that goes through I'll be looking at getting them upgraded!
Federal regulations are the only ones that really apply.
If you have new valves installed the tanks have to be recertified. After that you should be good to go in all 50 states.
I do know an old guy out in the middle of the wild Upper Peninsula of Michigan that would fill your tank with the old valve on it up until last year when he finally had to get his supply of propane refilled for the first time in nearly four years! He is so remote that he sold very little propane.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
I think I had mentioned before - that we now have new regs up here in CAN We have to use the rubber "pigtails from the tanks to the regulator and from the regulator to the main copper line. Once connected the system is supose to be certified by a technician and a tag connected to the LP Regualtor. You can remove the tanks from the reg but if you "break" the seal to the main line you have to get recertified again.

Not sure all the ins and outs of this reg - and have no idea who will be policing it - other than we have to sign a waiver that we have read and understand the new regulations (when ever we purchase a new regulator and/or "pigtails".

Any of this happening in the States?
Just another way that more laws are not meant to protect so much as they are to generate revenue for the government.
The ONLY law we have here in the states is that you need the new OPD valve and the tank has to be certified.
Thank God and Heaven above that we do not need an official seal tacked on to anything else!
I replaced my old Fisher regulator with a new one. I figured I could probably replace the diaphragm but it was only forty bucks to replace it with a whole new one.
It is amazing how some governments now regulate what is commonly considered common sense things like knowing that something old should be repaired or replaced.
This supports my theory that natural selection in humans is gone. Resulting in stupid people surviving and ultimately propogating!
Old 03-26-2005, 04:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Funny, my dad for years filled his own tanks from the suppy tank to the house. He was funny like that, goverm'nt not gonna tell 'im what he can and can't have! On the Argosy project the PO stripped off most of the Propane lines, I'll be looking for parts there from the supply line fitting to the tanks, including regulator........
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:38 AM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
During in depth inspection of my orginal LP system, I found wear/rub marks on the copper line in several locations, plus most of the shut off valves were corroded/rusted in the open postion. I purchased everything I needed to completely replumb the copper portion of the system at Lowe's IIRC the total cost was under $200 and I have a 31' so there are some long runs. The rubber hose between the regulator and the main copper line came from an LP supply house, the pigtails came from a camper salvage yard for $5 each (just happened to be in there and they were brand new still in the package in a salvage unit) My regulator has tested out okay, I may replace it anyway because the red flag is hard to see. Tanks have been recertified with OPD's installed. But I may upgrade to 40# tanks in the future....

The only places that needed any type of sealant were at the ends of the rubber hose between the regulator and the main line, and where the pigtails screw into the regulator, I used teflon tape in those places.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote