Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Los Angeles , California
Propane leak inside trailer

Hello guys. Completely baffled here. So I have a 2020 Caravel 19CB and have used it plenty since purchasing. The other night I was setting it up in my driveway for our next trip and turned the furnace on (not connected to shore power). Left the tank on that night but turned off the furnace and power. The next morning I smelled propane pretty heavily inside so I decided to check the tanks and noticed that the tank side I mainly use was almost out. Refilled the tank, vented the Airstream, opened the newly filled tank’s valve to try to recreate the situation and still smelled propane after a couple of hours. Checked the fittings to the tanks and are snug. Made sure the obvious could be ruled out and checked the stovetop knobs. Ran the furnace again in case any remnants of the propane smell were left over. Hooked up the trailer to water and used the water heater (on propane) in hopes of maybe flushing the smell out there. Shut everything but the propane valve off and returned a couple hours later. Propane smell. Doesn’t happen when the tanks are turned off. I know not to store the trailer that way but I wanted to try to recreate the scenario that initially caused me to noticed the smell and it happens every time which is a very likely camping scenario in the real world. I purchased a propane sniffer and it goes off soon as it enters the trailer but can’t seem to pinpoint the area that’s causing it. Btw, the built in propane detector never went off. All in all, propane seems to leak into the trailer when the propane tank’s valve is open, doesn’t matter which tank I switch to and can’t seem to find the cause. Any ideas?? Definitely taking it in but it’ll be in the service dept for a few months and would like to avoid that if it’s something I may be simply overlooking. Thanks, everyone!
BullShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Scary situation and worse that your internal propane detector didn’t go off.

Have you done the soapy water test on the portions of the LP lines you can see? That’s a start.

I’m not a pro on this stuff but my guess is a leaky pipe somewhere inside the belly pan or more likely an ill fitting connection to either fridge, stove, or WH.

Someone with more expertise will come along and offer more insight. In the meantime taking it to the dealer would be my first recommendation (JC if you’re closer) and don’t use until you have it fixed.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Over the years I’ve had a couple propane leaks that were pretty hard to find. The best way that I know of to find a propane leak is to soap test every single fitting and valve. Doing one appliance at a time. It wasn’t that hard to do for me but I’ve got an older Classic Motorhome so things might be more accessible than new units.
The hardest one for me to find was the tiny little shutoff valve that is inline on the back of the refrigerator. The seal inside the valve had apparently gone bad. Easy fix but took a while to find.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Los Angeles , California
yeah, thanks guys for the prompt replies. I've spray and smell tested the fittings I can see but they do make it almost impossible to see what's in the walls of these things, at least the newer models, without ripping them out and possibly voiding the warranty. My fridge is all electric. The only things that run off propane in my Airstream are the water heater, furnace and stove, I believe. Ah well, looks like I might have to just take it in and not use it for a good while.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As a guess (and only a guess):

How long ago was the last time you used the furnace? I'm guessing it was a while ago based on what you have said. If so, I'd bet the furnace it's self is the issue.

Simple (because I don't have to do all the work ... ) way to sort things out a bit:

The main distribution piping runs under the trailer. You can get at it without driving any rivets. Each appliance Tee's off of the main line. You can disconnect each (and cap the main line). When you cap a leg and the issue goes away ... that's the one.

=====

Zigging a totally different direction: When was the last time the back tank was fully flushed ..... Next in that direction would be a dead mouse ....

Lots of ways this could work out.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Interesting points Bob - the first being a way to isolate where the LP leak could be - but flushing of black reminded me that boiling batteries can smell like sulphur which is related to the smell they add to LP (not exactly the same). So that’s worth checking too.

Either way - a trip to a pro is a good call. Be safe!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I’m not certain of this, but I don’t think joints are allowed in the propane lines inside the trailer or between the skins. You should be able to see every connection, either outside under the belly pan, inside the access hatches for the appliances, or inside the appliances themselves.

As suggested by SSM, it could be a boiled dry battery. Check your batteries to see if one is hot. Others have chased propane smells to find the problem was a battery.

As to the stovetop, I can pull the splash pan forward and lift at the front to get access to the internal propane tubing, including the connection from the tanks. That is the only place where there is a propane connection inside the living space. All others are outside and (supposed to be) sealed by sealant on a flange when the appliance is mounted.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:18 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
The only joints inside are where the propane line connects to the appliances, stove, fridge, w/h, furnace. Appliance integral control or on off valves can leak and give you that smell. It doesn't take much of a leak to smell it. It shouldn't be hard to access the few connections inside to bubble test. I'd also bubble test all outside fittings.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:00 AM   #9
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
when I had one I found it with soapy water test in a stove fitting.....but it did take several tries until I finally found it !!.. There should be no pipe joints in the walls as Al said.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
For some reason when tank pressure gets low some trailers smell strongly of the smell agent in the propane. I have seen this on multiple trailers. So either something fails to seal without some pressure or the dregs in the bottom of the tank are very strong. I expect your smell issue will go away once you change to the full tank and valve off the empty one. What you are most likely smelling is the odor put in the gas not the gas.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:41 AM   #11
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I'm 99.99% sure there are no fittings or breaks on the propane line where it can not be accessed.

SO ... capping off under the belly might an option.

Easier to hardest process of elimination be the following IMHO:

1. Check battery levels
2. Flush the heck out of your black tank, including the gray while you are at it.
3. Cap off propane lines.

Good luck, let us know what it was when you find out.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
, California
Rubber Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullShark View Post
Hello guys. Completely baffled here. So I have a 2020 Caravel 19CB and have used it plenty since purchasing.
In 2018 we ordered a new 26U from the factory and when it was delivered I noticed there were no copper gas lines in the trailer. All gas lines had been replaced by rubber hose. Closer inspection of the stove installation showed the gas supply line coming into the back of the stove to be lying against a sharp flange projecting from the back of the stove. Short story we rejected the trailer and found one built before Airstream went to all rubber lines. I pointed out the potential problem as most of us realize, when moving, the trailer acts like it is in a 7.2 earthquake. That rubber hose would easily have been cut through where it was lying on the metal flange. I was assured the rubber hose is the industry standard for gas lines. It may be for white boxes with a less than 10 year life span, but not for Airstreams that are built to last.
The suggestion to disconnect the supply lines at the tee back under the trailer and cap/plug the tee should reveal the line that is leaking. If the situation I saw on the trailer we ordered exists it is probably the line feeding the stove.

Good luck
bugdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #13
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
The comments about no copper line joints inside the trailer is correct AFAIK. Yours is a new trailer so it should be up to code. An older trailer may have had some modifications.

uncle_bob has a good idea. Cap the lines one by one under the belly pan to see what changes. It seems like any leak would be from the stove/oven or the furnace as the propane line and connections for the water heater are likely on the outside.

Faulty workmanship may be to blame for a loose connection or something similar. It's possible the solenoid valve for the stove/oven or furnace is not seating properly when the appliance is turned off. Solenoid valves are intended to be spring loaded and "fail safe," that is, close when the power is removed but the valve seat could be dirty or otherwise compromised. Regardless, capping the lines one by one should help you narrow down the culprit.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #14
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Why would your new trailer be in a service department at your dealer for several months for an issue that could literally blow up your trailer? Save others and let us know what dealership would put you in a life or death situation.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:45 PM   #15
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Leak test the system by using a LPG water column gauge after turning off the tank supply valve(s) or watching the auto changeover indicator to see how long it takes it to turn red. If the pressure stays up for a while the smell was from an empty tank. None of our trailers have a low point drain to eliminate all the junk fluids in propane these days and they all pick up the safety smell while in our systems.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:41 PM   #16
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullShark View Post
Hello guys. Completely baffled here. So I have a 2020 Caravel 19CB and have used it plenty since purchasing. The other night I was setting it up in my driveway for our next trip and turned the furnace on (not connected to shore power). Left the tank on that night but turned off the furnace and power. The next morning I smelled propane pretty heavily inside so I decided to check the tanks and noticed that the tank side I mainly use was almost out. Refilled the tank, vented the Airstream, opened the newly filled tank’s valve to try to recreate the situation and still smelled propane after a couple of hours. Checked the fittings to the tanks and are snug. Made sure the obvious could be ruled out and checked the stovetop knobs. Ran the furnace again in case any remnants of the propane smell were left over. Hooked up the trailer to water and used the water heater (on propane) in hopes of maybe flushing the smell out there. Shut everything but the propane valve off and returned a couple hours later. Propane smell. Doesn’t happen when the tanks are turned off. I know not to store the trailer that way but I wanted to try to recreate the scenario that initially caused me to noticed the smell and it happens every time which is a very likely camping scenario in the real world. I purchased a propane sniffer and it goes off soon as it enters the trailer but can’t seem to pinpoint the area that’s causing it. Btw, the built in propane detector never went off. All in all, propane seems to leak into the trailer when the propane tank’s valve is open, doesn’t matter which tank I switch to and can’t seem to find the cause. Any ideas?? Definitely taking it in but it’ll be in the service dept for a few months and would like to avoid that if it’s something I may be simply overlooking. Thanks, everyone!
Hi BullShark,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 12-04-2019, 12:36 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Los Angeles , California
Guys, all your points and suggestions are absolutely appreciated. I didn't want to tinker around with things TOO much to avoid voiding the warranty. I'll tell y'all this much, Airstream Inland Empire (California) was supposed to have it for a week to test things out when I ordered it and I've had nothing but issues with their dealership, not the Airstream brand itself. They've just continued to overlook things or break things at their own fault. I've taken it in with a few concerns only to have it returned with new issues from their service department. I truly believe they have no idea what they're doing there and I regret purchasing from them, sad to say. It seemed like a revolving door. So when this new propane issue sprung up, I took it to the dealership who installed my new hitch and I know for a fact that it's in great hands, Airstream Orange County. Those guys are AWESOME! I'll definitely update y'all on what they have to say. Took it in today, should get looked at in about a week or so and I'll make a note to update you guys on what seemed to be the issue. I also have messaged Airstream Inc from this thread and also appreciate them reaching out. How awesome is it guys to have the manufacture take their time to read and reply to our issues? You just can't beat that!
Old 12-04-2019, 06:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Put a new tank on it and see if it leaks before spending days trying to fix a problem that might not be there.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:56 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Oak Harbor , Washington
I had the same issue. Leak was too slow for bubble solutions. I finally bought a high end gas detector and found that the furnace gas regulator was leaking. Ended up replacing the entire furnace.

The leak drove me nuts for two months. Fortunately no trip planned for that time or it would have been even worse for my sanity!
theOrca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:18 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Forget the soap solution and go right for the industrial grade liquid. Lowes should have it and, the small bottle will last a LOOOOONG time. The film strength of the "industrial grade" is MUCH higher than a liquid dish soap solution. Tiny leaks that barely get a soap solution to bubble will result in a softball sized bubble when you "go pro". The pro liquid is not vey expensive; the difference is night and day.

Although it doesn't sound like the issue you're faced with, some (many?) aerosol products use propane as a propellant. A foot powder I used to use would always set off the propane alarm in my first RV.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote