Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2017, 10:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Propane hose connection preparation

I just picked up a camp chef 2 burner stove and a 12' hose for it to connect to the quick disconnect on the Airstream. The camp chef has a 3/8" threaded connection. What do I need to do when I put on the new hose? Should I use Teflon tape (like with water piping) or something else?
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #2
JFTKSU78

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Olathe , Kansas
Have a Camp Chef as well; I haven’t used Teflon tape but think it might be a good idea...as a loose fitting while the stove is on...can produce another “burner flame” at connection....carelessly have had happen being a temporary gas line. And would say most important...when stove is off would close disconnect valve (or disconnect) to mitigate any leakage that might drain a propane tank. And you might check on line length to get stove under awning...depending on AS trailer model.
jftompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
If you are connecting flared fittings, you don't need tape. If you are connecting pipe fittings use tape. Except do not use white plumbing Teflon. Use Teflon for gas fittings. The kind I use is yellow.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:32 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedpuppy View Post
I just picked up a camp chef 2 burner stove and a 12' hose for it to connect to the quick disconnect on the Airstream. The camp chef has a 3/8" threaded connection. What do I need to do when I put on the new hose? Should I use Teflon tape (like with water piping) or something else?
Never use white (water only) teflon tape for propane. Use pipe dope for gas lines or yellow teflon tape on threaded connections. Always soap test your connections for leaks afterwards. Is your camp stove designed for low pressure ie. after the regulator otherwise you will need to have a connection before the regulator at the tank.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPPPIN View Post
Is your camp stove designed for low pressure ie. after the regulator otherwise you will need to have a connection before the regulator at the tank.

The hose it comes would connect directly to a tank and has a regulator on the line.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
If you are connecting flared fittings, you don't need tape. If you are connecting pipe fittings use tape. Except do not use white plumbing Teflon. Use Teflon for gas fittings. The kind I use is yellow.

It is a 3/8 male flare on the campchef, 3/8 female flare on the hose.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
1977 AS RBed MB 29r Bliss

1977 29' Ambassador
Port Townsend , Washington
Gas Connections

Trippin is point-on as to tape choices and soaping the connections. I tend to use teflon paste on all connections. As a contractor the paste is cheap insurance to avoid potential disasters. I use paste on all of my "Seal Tite"connections to insure the least amount of leakage on residential systems. Never had a pipe leak to date, fingers crossed, and I sleep better at night knowing that I do the best I can in my customers' homes. Rectorseal is a top brand. Can be a bit messy but it wipes off easily when fresh and it works on threaded or flared connections.

Not all things that go boom are necessarily good!!

Happy travels.
AggieDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:03 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedpuppy View Post
The hose it comes would connect directly to a tank and has a regulator on the line.
I don't think it will work that way because the quick disconnect on the Airstream is after the regulator so you would be regulating it down again with the one in the camp stove line. You have to connect to the tank directly. I have a brass splitter T on my tank for a similar situation to use my BBQ - which should work for you too. About $25 and no tape or sealant used.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #9
JFTKSU78

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Olathe , Kansas
The “Camp Chef RV Connection Hose” sounds like what you need as it does not have a regulator in it. The one you have might be for the small table top propane tanks which need a regulator.
jftompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:16 PM   #10

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Propane hose

Well! I learned 2 things from this thread; dont use teflon tape with gas (?)
I used it recently on a stationary trailer (non AS). I tested it with soapy water and it was fine, what is the long term issue?

I have a 2018 28 FC and was excited to find the quick connect, on my old trailer i loved to use my 2 burner Coleman table top outside, my wife did not stand over me with a sponge while I saute, from the thread there seems to be a pressure issue, can someone explain this a little more to me.
Terrafirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Propane hose connection preparation

No, don’t use the white, very thin Teflon tape with gas. That stuff is only for water.

Teflon tape for natural gas, propane, and gasoline use is usually yellow and is much thicker tape. It fills the voids in the fittings better, is less porous, and resists leaks better. It is distinctly different. It will be marked for fuel gas and petroleum product use. That is the correct stuff to use on propane fittings. The thin white stuff will eventually leak.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:53 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPPPIN View Post
I don't think it will work that way because the quick disconnect on the Airstream is after the regulator so you would be regulating it down again with the one in the camp stove line. You have to connect to the tank directly. I have a brass splitter T on my tank for a similar situation to use my BBQ - which should work for you too. About $25 and no tape or sealant used.

You lost the context somewhere.

The hose that came with the campchef is designed to connect to a tank and has a regulator on it.

I got a new quick-connect hose (without a regulator). My question was about sealing the 3/8" connection end of the hose when I connect it so I don't blow up.